Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Virus with MacBook Pro

Intermittently, but for the past week, I get a pop-up saying that Apple wants to make changes and requests my password. After hitting cancel at least twice, Safari and an app launch. Immediately a new pop-up stating "installation complete" appears and the only choice is to hit "ok" (I do not.) Usually, I have to restart the computer because my mouse won't function. After restarting, I "force quit" both safari and the green icon with a white magnifying glass which is named ProductEvent.app and ProcessSave.app. I put both of these in my trash and remove it. But this is an endless cycle. Anyone know if this is a virus? I almost NEVER use Safari (sorry Apple), so I don't think this was an app I ever downloaded. It appears to be the same virus this user experienced: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250209015 though the name of the app was different.

Posted on Oct 1, 2019 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2019 1:34 PM

You may  have adware/malware installed. Try downloading this program which was written by Thomas R, a long time poster. The program will search for malware/adware. The program will do the work for you which makes it easy. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After running the scans, restart the computer.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac      10.10 and later

Malwarebytes uninstall

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2019 1:34 PM in response to LeeFox1

You may  have adware/malware installed. Try downloading this program which was written by Thomas R, a long time poster. The program will search for malware/adware. The program will do the work for you which makes it easy. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After running the scans, restart the computer.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac      10.10 and later

Malwarebytes uninstall

Oct 19, 2019 11:56 AM in response to LeeFox1

Hello,

I have this same issue. I have found that when I open up Safari this green magnifying glass icon appears. It forces my wireless mouse to disconnect and then I have to force quit the malware application. It appears to also slow or stop my Internet speed and will not load web pages. After removal of the app, it reappears under a different name.

Here's a list of names that have appeared for this particular green magnifying glass app:

ManagerPages

ExtraBrowser

ResourceSource

DefaultProducts

PremiumForward

IdeaDetails

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue?

Thanks.

Mar 8, 2020 3:55 PM in response to LeeFox1

I have a similar issue. While using Safari, the program will suddenly freeze up then close. I will receive a separate popup stating "Apple wants to make changes" and asks for my password. It requires a "cancel" response three times. Then Safari automatically reopens. Approximately 10% of the time there is a new Safari extension that installed without my approval - noticed only if I open Safari preferences. I typically manually uninstall the program from the Application page and delete the associated folders.

The extension logo is always a green icon with magnifying glass. Names listed below.

• Platform Air 1.0
    • Platform Air
    • SmarterHD
    • TaskSite
    • OnlyApplication
    • OnlyApplication 1.0
    • SystemJump 1.0
    • ProcessFresh 1.0
    • MultiDetail
    • EngineCache 1.0

I just downloaded Malwarebytes. Its scanner detected both adware and malware that are now quarantined. Hopefully that will do the trick. Thank you guys - specifically Eric Root!

Nov 2, 2019 3:46 PM in response to LeeFox1

The link states that the user was being careless and downloaded some fake plugin. You are probably experiencing the same virus in a different way

Safari Virus with MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.