Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my Music start playing automatically when I plug in headphones?

Ever since the iOS 13 update, whenever I plug in my headphones to make a call my Music app automatically starts playing music. How do I get it to stop?

Ive installed the bug fix update and I’ve even turned off all settings for the Music app and unchecked all the music folders in the app. I’ve tried everything.

It’s really annoying. Any ideas? Can’t find anyone else experiencing this.

iPhone 8

Posted on Oct 3, 2019 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 11:01 AM

I just want to make some points for Apple to understand how deeply frustrating this problem is for all of us:

• For each time I plug in my earbuds to prepare for a call, music starts up
  • Upsettingly, sometimes this happens just as I'm about to dial a number
  • Car use is the worst, driving down the road, getting ready to make a call is a terrible distraction
  • Keep in mind, this is a SAFETY issue too (that's why I'm using earbuds)
  • Yes, it is a SAFETY problem
  • Only times I plug in earbuds will be to make calls or listen to music, admittedly
  • Understandably, we all recognize the problem, Apple, why can't you?
  • All of the time, this is how frequently it happens - ALL OF THE TIME
  • Possibly this is a convenience feature, but it is really an "inconvenience" issue too!
  • Please fix this APPLE!
  • Let's all make as much noise as we can about this!
  • Ending this problem would make me very happy

That's all I have to say in making my points. Does everyone get these points?

Chuck

352 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2020 11:01 AM in response to Flyguy1946

I just want to make some points for Apple to understand how deeply frustrating this problem is for all of us:

• For each time I plug in my earbuds to prepare for a call, music starts up
  • Upsettingly, sometimes this happens just as I'm about to dial a number
  • Car use is the worst, driving down the road, getting ready to make a call is a terrible distraction
  • Keep in mind, this is a SAFETY issue too (that's why I'm using earbuds)
  • Yes, it is a SAFETY problem
  • Only times I plug in earbuds will be to make calls or listen to music, admittedly
  • Understandably, we all recognize the problem, Apple, why can't you?
  • All of the time, this is how frequently it happens - ALL OF THE TIME
  • Possibly this is a convenience feature, but it is really an "inconvenience" issue too!
  • Please fix this APPLE!
  • Let's all make as much noise as we can about this!
  • Ending this problem would make me very happy

That's all I have to say in making my points. Does everyone get these points?

Chuck

Dec 31, 2019 8:15 AM in response to likeagv

It's Autoplay and based on all the forums I read, no one can figure out how to turn it off. Autoplay was supposed to be a thing Apple thought people wanted, but it's really annoying if there is no option to turn it off. I had to turn off my bluetooth completely, and just use speakerphone for car directions and phone calls.

So far, the only 'work around' is to add a "silent track"of music play next on your Apple Music, or like me, turn off bluetooth completely. Click here for article and link: https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/10/silent-10-minute-song-itunes-car-stereo-trick/

Solution: If all of us speak up, Apple will fix the problem. Go to Apple Feedback link and request a fix by allowing us to turn OFF autoplay. (This is the direct link to request a fix from Apple.). Apple really does listen!

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Nov 15, 2019 10:23 AM in response to likeagv

This started happening to me with the podcast app. I'd plug my headphones in and after a couple minutes some podcast to which I was subscribed would start playing. I couldn't figure out how to stop it so I deleted the podcast app and thought I would re-install it later.

In the mean time it started auto-playing from the Apple Music app. It doesn't happen consistently. If it does, and I double tap the home button, it doesn't show Apple Music app as being active. If I open Apple Music I can stop whatever song is playing.

I thought maybe I was inadvertently touching my Apple Watch and that was starting the music but I've ruled that out too. A couple times it's run long enough to kill a fully charged battery, using cellular data to play podcasts all night.

Oct 25, 2019 5:58 AM in response to Demsfp

This is not a solution but a work around. I have this issue too because I have to use my phone to take calls for work and I need my headset plugged in. I can't find anything, like everyone else, to turn off. However, one work around is to turn off your screen lock. This is under Display&Brightness > Auto-Lock and then select Never. Pro for this is that the music doesn't start playing, Con is this drains your battery much faster. For me on my iPhone 8 Plus, it gets down to around 50% after an 8 hour day.

This needs to be fixed. There should be an option to allow users to disable music auto-start when headsets are plugged in.

Feb 13, 2020 12:09 PM in response to jamesfromwalton-on-thames

I have reported this to Apple via this link: https://www.apple.com/feedback/ and they setup a call with me and called me back to troubleshoot.

As it turns out they don't have a solution yet... so please feel free to enter your own Bug Report at this site and if you are on a version of iOS that isn't listed in the drop down - enter the version in the comments. Actually she said that there are notes about bluetooth use that says "music may launch automatically when connecting to bluetooth". I told them that this is not an acceptable "may happen" issue especially when this is my work phone and I can't have random U2 songs start playing after every conference call.

Feb 13, 2020 12:31 PM in response to likeagv

This has been happening to me also only on my iPhone 8 that was provided by my employer. I use a wireless headset all day and after every call I'm on ends, there's U2 playing in my ear again. U2 is the only album loaded in Music by Apple and I don't use this phone for personal calls so I don't have anything else on there for it to play.

And when I open the background apps Music isn't open there either but the music is still playing in my ear via the headset. I actually have to open the Music and then kill it to make it stop playing...until the next call I have ends.

I am not having this issue on my personal iPhone X and it is on the same iOS version 13.3.1. I have reported the issue to Apple and I would suggest you do as well via their Feedback site at: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Version 13.3.1 isn't listed in the options so I put it in the comments (I did select 13.3 from the dropdown). Apple contacted me and escalated to a Senior adviser who did some troubleshooting with me and opened a case. She is going to do some further research and contact me in a few days. She said their notes say that "music may launch automatically when using bluetooth" but even she thought it was weird that it's random and that the note is even worded that way.

Hope this helps!

Apr 18, 2020 9:36 PM in response to Cozycity

Here is the link to Apple Feedback to request a bug fix. https://www.apple.com/feedback/ (I suspect that Apple doesn't read "community" posts, but the link above is the direct link to Apple.

I also requested that they create a fix that simply permits us to just "Turn Off AutoPlay." Seems simple enough.

...Maybe if enough people ask for the fix, our collective voice will be heard. good luck!

Oct 4, 2019 2:04 PM in response to likeagv

I just discovered this problem today after upgrading to 13.1.2 If I plug in the headphones and leave them plugged in, music starts randomly playing within 2-3 minutes. No music widget, music notifications set to OFF, all boxes unchecked in music in settings. Tried turning phone off then back on....nothing helps. REALLY anoying!

Apr 17, 2020 11:37 AM in response to HatesAppleAutoMusicPlay

Next Steps to finally get a bug fix on autoplay via bluetooth...

Hello everyone. I too am suffering from autoplay via bluetooth. I wrote to Apple via their direct feedback link and requested a "bug fix" asking them to please provide the ability to turn off "autoplay."

So far, nothing. However, I am just one voice, and as far as I can tell, Apple doesn't actually read our comments in this Apple community post.

Here is my solution: Please contact Apple directly to notify them of problems/bug fixes. (Maybe our collective voice will be heard): https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Apr 21, 2020 5:30 AM in response to likeagv

GUys, you are not one voice. WE are one voice. I tried to post several complaints here about it, but all most of my posts got banned and deleted....even though other people complain and their posts are still ok. I think writing https://www.apple.com/feedback/ seems our only options and maybe if we keep doing this often enough, someone will notice?

I called the Apple, described the problem. They suggested updating OS and resetting all the settings. I've updated the os, reinstalled Apple Music. Apple Music was the one that was firing up on my iPad.Right now it doesn't, but only because THERE IS NO MUSIC THERE TO PLAY, which is another bug by the way, as all my purchased stuff is not visible. BUT it might be a way to deal with it. Either remove Apple Music or if you use it as a radio, then delete all the songs. So far, this is the only thing that works.

Jul 12, 2020 10:50 AM in response to likeagv

My disappointing "Auto-play on Music App" experience: I tried literally everything to turn off auto-play, spent (no kidding) hours researching and trying different "work arounds." I sent pleading e-mails asking Apple to give us a "Turn Off Auto Play" option via https://www.apple.com/feedback/ (which is the official place to send requests to Apple.)

No solution.

In a "scorched earth" attempt to fix the problem, I finally just cancelled my Apple Music subscription, (and sent an explanatory e-mail to Apple Feedback, stating that as a result, I would no longer pay $$$ for an Apple Music subscription until they fixed the problem.

The result? No more Auto Play! (Yaaaaaayyyy! Snoopy Happy Dance!)

Downside: It was a Pyrrhic victory since I now have to load music onto my phone. However, having music & podcasts automatically blast into whichever bluetooth device is connected was driving me nuts, and was really embarrassing during business calls/events.

Why does my Music start playing automatically when I plug in headphones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.