Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone not ringing after iOS 13 update

Since updating to iOS 13, my phone (iPhone XS) is sitting right in front of me on my desk and when someone calls, the phone doesn't ring or make a sound. It appears to happen when the phone is plugged in by cable to my MacBook Pro. I'm currently running iOS 13.1.2.

Any suggestions?

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XS

Posted on Oct 4, 2019 9:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2019 1:16 PM

Yah, checked all those things. It is weird in that it only seems to happen on occasion, but when it does, I can sit there and see the VM come up without the phone even ringing or any indication that anyone was trying to call.

364 replies

Oct 8, 2019 9:56 AM in response to jranck

After the latest update (13.1.2) my phone has stopped ringing for incoming calls. Tried all possible options by changing settings and even switching it off n on again. It rang only the 1st time after being switched on and then again back to no rings. It’s very frustrating when I m unaware of important calls coming in from business sources since the phone doesn’t ring at all. Seems like many other people are also facing the same issues. Please resolve this bug soon.

Oct 14, 2019 5:17 AM in response to jranck

I had the same problem and after talking to several apple reps one of them finally suggested putting the device on recovery mode and resetting it from scratch (don't use a back up, once logged in to iCloud it will retrieve most of your data, I did have to manually update my apps though). This solved my issue and my phone now rings and alerts me to texts! Apparently the software was corrupt and it needed to be removed and reinstalled (resetting it to factory settings on the cloud does not remove hardware). You will need to have iTunes on a computer, below is a link to how to set it on recovery mode, hopefully it helps some of you

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

Oct 14, 2019 6:02 PM in response to jranck

I signed up for the beta 13.2 release as a prior poster suggested. I installed that version on my iPhone 10XR. After that my phone now rings on all calls. It’s been working for about 2 days now. Also my Bluetooth is ON BUT I haven’t paired it with my vehicle yet. As others have noted, I think it’s related to some common App or device that’s high jacking the sound. The beta download is free, you don’t have to be a developer, just enroll in the beta program and follow the web links.

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

Oct 12, 2019 5:25 AM in response to Saifan Pilot

First check the "obvious"

1. Silent switch (above volume up button) isn't in silent mode.
  2. Settings → Do Not Disturb → Do Not Disturb = OFF
  3. Settings → Sound & Haptics → RINGER AND ALERTS:
    1. Slide Volume all the way to the right. (Slide to the left to minimum then back to full)
    2. Change with Buttons = OFF

Follow steps above fixed.

Oct 28, 2019 7:25 PM in response to Sasha5113

I would recommend you back the phone up via iTunes, and then follow these steps to put the phone in recovery and reinstall 13.2.

restore the backup and and see how it goes from there.

How to Enter iPhone DFU Mode

1. Connect the iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes.
  2. Turn the iPhone off (hold down the power button at the top of the iPhone) if it isn't off already.
  3. Hold down the sleep/power button and home button together for exactly 10 seconds, then release the power button.

Oct 28, 2019 7:29 PM in response to IamHawk

Correction on the DFU procedure. Pulled up old instructions. Here is the instructions for iPhone 8, X, and 11 (all versions)

If all else has failed, you may need to restore your iPhone; if it won't restore normally, you'll need to put it into DFU mode.

1. Plug your iPhone X or iPhone 8 into your Mac or PC.
  2. Make sure iTunes is running.
  3. Turn Off your iPhone X or iPhone 8 (if it isn't already).
  4. Press and hold down the On/Off button on the right side of your iPhone for 3 seconds.
  5. Press and hold down the volume downbutton on the left side of your iPhone while still holding down the On/Off button.
  6. Keep holding both buttons down for 10 seconds. (If you see the Apple logo, you've held them too long and will need to start again.)
  7. Let go of the On/Off Button but keep holding the volume down button for about 5 seconds. (If you see the "Plug into iTunes" screen, then you've held it too long and will need to start again.)
  8. If the screen stays black, that's it! Your iPhone 7should now be in DFU mode.

At this point, iTunes should show you an alert saying it's detected your iPhone 8 or iPhone and will allow it to be restored.

May 6, 2020 1:42 PM in response to jranck

I'm sharing this as I spent 3 days back and forth with T-Mobile over this issue. Every time I get a call that's not from a friend in my contacts it wouldn't even ring, just shows missed call. I was told check Bluetooth, check ringer, check Do Not Disturb settings, etc. Then, a girl at TMO told me to go into Settings > Phone > Uncheck 'Silence Unknown Callers'. And now it's resolved! Sometimes this is getting triggered during iOS updates, so check it if you're having a problem. It was painful to go back and forth with them for days to now see this is all it was!

iPhone not ringing after iOS 13 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.