Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV closes while pandora is playing

My Apple TV just did the update, now I have a problem with pandora. I Apple TV turns off while Pandora is playing. It is like it is not recognizing the program is running and goes to sleep. I can fix it by changing the sleep mode to never, but that kinda defeats the purpose of having a sleep mode.

Posted on Oct 4, 2019 11:00 AM

57 replies

Oct 4, 2019 1:11 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I have turned off and unplugged the ATV, but haven't reset it. Not thrilled with the idea of having to re-enter all my passwords... not knowing if this would actually correct the problem. Hopefully someone has the time to mess with it and figure it out. For now I just changed the sleep option.

Maybe it is time to try to get a new device before the year warranty it up.

Oct 6, 2019 10:03 AM in response to gblaz

Same here. This is new with the update. Now the apple tv shuts off and turns of my tv off after 15 minutes of Pandora playing. I changed sleep mode to never but that did not solve the problem as my apple tv stayed on all night last night after watching Netflix and turning the tv off and going to bed. I turned my tv back on the next afternoon and the apple tv screensaver was still on. I don’t like that. I put sleep mode back on and am waiting for either apple tv to update again or for pandora to update their app to fix the issue.

Oct 9, 2019 5:37 PM in response to MACfamily72

Is this happening on Spotify for anyone, too? Could this be Apple purposely not supporting this app well to get people to move to Apple Music. After all, you can't access Pandora or Spotify directly on the HomePod (you have to do it on your iPhone and treat it as Bluetooth speaker), even though every other digital assistant allows a direct connection.

Oct 10, 2019 7:18 PM in response to Davis0454

@Davis0454, try changing the Apple TV's sleep setting. I set it to 5 hours and that solved the problem. Someone upthread reported having to set it to "never." It's looking as if TVOS doesn't recognize Pandora as an active app when it's in the background. Once the screensaver kicks in, it will sleep the TV after however many minutes are specified in Settings.

Oct 11, 2019 3:54 AM in response to kristenfromorlando

That has already been discussed. Its a clunky work around but doesn’t fix that the app is broken. You shouldn’t need to prevent the AppleTV from going to sleep, it should recognize that the app is running and not go to sleep.

If the box worked that way for video apps, it would be constantly shutting down while you were watching. Pandora worked fine until this latest update - something changed...

Oct 15, 2019 7:29 AM in response to MACfamily72

So the poblem seems to be with all the music/podkas/sounds app that are running on the background and are not being recognized by the OS as an active apps, sounds more like an tvOS problem rather than the apps. I wonder if any of the apps that are giving us this trouble have been updated recently. Ive been constantly checking to see if Pandora got updated to no avail, the workaround is pretty annoying cuz setting it for an hours can go by really fast and then putting to 5 could be too much. I really hoped to a timely resolution but i guess will have to wait longer than anticipated, i guess this new OS(macOS Catalina, tvOS, iOS) release from apple has been the most disastrous ever, so many different problems since day one.

Oct 15, 2019 8:14 AM in response to EatinPonies

Interesting, I tested Spotify last week and it was acting the same way as Pandora. Ill try again tonight when i get home and also i would check if the spotify app has been updated recently. I feel like the issue is with permission changes with all the new "privacy" settings in the new OS. Good to know that at least something is working as it should.

Oct 19, 2019 8:07 AM in response to MACfamily72

Press the tv icon and go to the “Settings” app. Choose “Sleep” and you’ll find for some reason the update put Pandora settings on “After 15 minutes”. Change to, “Never”. Not sure why this happened, but it could be something about opening certain apps that changes the “Sleep” setting. Apple will figure it out (eventually) and release a fix in a future update.

Oct 19, 2019 3:01 PM in response to MosaicMapper

I have never found a Pandora specific sleep setting. If you have, please be more specific as to the exact menu sequence you used to find it. We know that there is a global sleep setting, but changing that is not a solution because other apps do not trigger the sleep setting when running. It’s particular to Pandora and only started after the last update.

Oct 19, 2019 3:18 PM in response to gblaz

The timer function was somehow reset... the "Sleep After" setting got reset to 15 minutes.

On your Apple TV go to: Settings> General> Sleep After and change it from 15 mins. to never. Once I changed it, it stopped turning off automatically.

I take no credit for this. These were the instruction that user Yuleuloo gave and it worked for me. It no longer shuts off after 15 mins. since I changed the time in the setting. Hope this helps you, gblaz! Good luck!!

Oct 19, 2019 4:28 PM in response to Tukiali

Of course it did - because you turned off the sleep timer completely. Now your appletv will stay on forever. That’s not a solution.

Prior to this update, Pandora acted like any other app - if it was active, the sleep timer would not activate. If the TV app acted this way, it would shut off in the middle of every show.

The Pandora app needs to be fixed so that it works like other apps, and how it did before - if you were listening to music, the appletv would not go to sleep.

Apple TV closes while pandora is playing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.