Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

shift key external keyboard whatsapp

Since the IOS 13 update, when using WhatsApp and an external keyboard, the SHIFT key does not work. There was supposed to be a fix for this but it is still not working (after 2 more updates)

Posted on Oct 5, 2019 7:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2019 9:19 AM

Apple - please fix this asap! I use WhatsApp with an external keyboard all the time so this is very annoying. I've had to go back to using the screen which is much slower (even with the new swipe keyboard - which i do like) - or use the "alt (or cmd) and shift key" workaround from tnhdang (thanks!) - but not practical for using all the time.

How was this not tested??

Please fix!!!

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2019 9:19 AM in response to gretchen5

Apple - please fix this asap! I use WhatsApp with an external keyboard all the time so this is very annoying. I've had to go back to using the screen which is much slower (even with the new swipe keyboard - which i do like) - or use the "alt (or cmd) and shift key" workaround from tnhdang (thanks!) - but not practical for using all the time.

How was this not tested??

Please fix!!!

Oct 26, 2019 6:12 AM in response to dantek123

Standard "generic keyboard problems" response from WhatsApp:

Thanks for your message.

All components of the keyboard are controlled entirely by the iOS, including multi-language keyboards, Auto-Correction, Check Spelling, and Predictive text. These features can be turned ON and OFF in iPhone Settings > General > Keyboard. If these features aren't working, please note that this is an issue with the iOS and not WhatsApp itself.

If you are experiencing slowness in typing or changing keyboards or adding emoji, please reset your keyboard dictionary: iPhone Settings > General > Reset > Reset Keyboard Dictionary.

Additionally, to ensure optimal performance, please uninstall any third party keyboards. Please understand we can't resolve issues caused by third party applications, such as empty keyboard.

Learn more about the keyboard on your iPhone, please visit Apple Support.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. We'll be happy to help!

Pooja 

WhatsApp Support Team

I'll go back to them to ask for more help.

Oct 13, 2019 8:24 PM in response to gretchen5

All - I have found a workaround for this problem on my iOS13 iPhone. But you will need another device (only for the first time).

You need to:

• Load the web version of whatsapp (web.whatsapp.com) on your safari on your main device - if the bar code doesn’t show up, request desktop site on your safari (click on the aA button on left side of address bar)
  • Use your other device to talk picture of the bar code display in your safari / browser
  • show the picture of the bar code on other device
  • On your main device, go inside setting menu of whatsapp and find the scan bar code command in the “whatsapp web” menu
  • once you have scanned it, go back to safari on your main device and click reload
  • you should be able to now load your WhatsApp on your safari browser, and your shift key works just fine there =)

It’s a workaround but once you get it running, it should last you for a while if you continue to use it, since the session on the browser doesn’t expire unless you clear your cache (I haven’t been able to confirm how those web sessions become expired)

hope this helps!

Oct 16, 2019 4:09 AM in response to gretchen5

I am puzzled why the actual issue is, I use the Apple Magic BT keyboard for Viber,Telegram and WhatsApp, the only app where the SHIFT key does not work is WhatsApp. Why? Also the crazy scrolling thing at Instagram is baffling. Not sure who does the beta testing at Apple but I would be more than happy to be one of them because the current testers are NOT doing their job.

Oct 25, 2019 10:43 AM in response to gretchen5

Apparently this may be an issue with WhatsApp, and not Apple, since the bluetooth keyboard works fine with every other app. However, WhatsApp is blaming Apple and is so far not willing to look further into the issue.

For an enormous company like WhatsApp and Facebook, it's inexcusable that this issue has gone on for this long without anyone doing anything about it.

Oct 25, 2019 11:07 AM in response to gretchen5

Please can everyone raise this with WhatsApp by going to:

Settings -> Help -> Contact Us

..in your WhatsApp app to try to bring it to WhatsApp's attention?

It just emails iphone@support.whatsapp.com - but adds some extra debug info etc to the email.

We've got it raised on here with Apple but not sure if they've seen it - we need to get more people to comment on this thread.

But I would guess it's a WhatsApp problem since it only affects WhatsApp - even though they say the keyboard is handled by IOS - but at least WhatsApp need to work with Apple to work out what the issue is.

Thanks

Oct 26, 2019 6:34 AM in response to dantek123

Tried contacting Apple - they were quite helpful but just said as it wasn't an Apple keyboard they couldn't help.

What brand of Bluetooth Keyboard is everyone using?

Mine is: Arteck HB030B.

Works fine with every other app on IOS - except WhatsApp. Works fine on other devices such as my Android tablet.

I've contacted Arteck on their facebook page to see if they can help.

Can anyone recommend a bluetooth keyboard which _does_ work ok after IOS13?

Oct 28, 2019 11:51 AM in response to dantek123

Had another reply from WhatsApp admitting it is their issue and are working on a fix - but no eta:

Sorry for the inconvenience. We are aware of the issue and we are working on fixing it in a future update of WhatsApp. Unfortunately, we can't comment on any future release dates at this time.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. We'll be happy to help!

Nielle 

WhatsApp Support Team

Suggest we all contact WhatsApp (and then reply to their automated "It's IOS" reply) and ask them to fix this issue asap - so they know it's affecting lots of people!

shift key external keyboard whatsapp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.