Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Drain iOS 13.1.2 on iPhone

I have upgraded my iPhone 7 plus to iOS 13.1.2. The battery life is not up to the mark. Earlier the battery would run from 100%to 35% for 24 hours with moderate usage. (Battery drains to 50% for 8 hours even when there is no usage at all/no SIM card/ no application installed/background app refresh is turned off/power saving mode is turned on). I tried the following

1. waiting for 4-5 days believing that indexing will complete
  2. complete factory reset
  3. completely uninstalling all the apps and keeping the mobile as fresh without any data
  4. keeping the mobile in flight mode

But the battery drain is same in all cases. Is this the fault of iOS? My iPhone battery performance is 89%

Thanks for your view and answers.

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 6:39 AM

108 replies

Nov 8, 2019 12:23 AM in response to srinivasan.chemi

Protect & Prolong life of your iPhone's Battery: About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch ...

Try some of these options too.

1. Put on Low Power Mode
  2. Put Auto Lock On (1 min):- with low power mode it will be 30 Sec
  3. Put Auto Answer Off
  4. Disable Push notifications for apps you do not use often
  5. Enable Auto Brightness:- Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Auto-Brightness [Enable]
  6. Manually lower brightness from Control Center
  7. If you Want to watch continuous Video. Stream it on TV or a Monitor
  8. Don't force close apps; Apps which are not on frontend screen are paused by the system to save energy. Apps require more energy to re-launch. Apps which are open in the background use large memory is a myth and quitting them is counterproductive
  9. Location services to be allowed only while using the app
  10. Set your iPhone to fetch email and calendar data from internet less frequently
  11. Turning off Background App Refresh 
  12. Charge before it drops below 20-30%
  13. Try connecting to trusted Wifi where ever available in stead of Cellular
  14. Enable Airplane mode in areas with bad cellular and wifi coverage. Your phone keeps trying for reconnection with the missing / weak network. This uses lot of energy
  15. Switch off Wifi & Bluetooth while in Roaming or Not in Range
  16. Enable "Wifi Assist" : Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data > Wi-Fi Assist [Enable]
  17. Periodically Check your Battery Health (Settings > Battery > Battery Health)

iPhone Battery and Performance

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT208387

Oct 7, 2019 3:33 PM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Here is the problem with your response. My battery is only a day older since my iPhone 7 updated itself to 13.1.2 overnight. Yesterday my kid played his noggin for 3 hours straight and the battery was at 70% when he put it down. It’s a video heavy, interactive app for kids. 10% drain per hour.

This morning, after the update, I was on a conference call for an hour, voice only, and the battery dropped to 20% from full charge. So tell me how much did my battery age over night to loose efficacy like that?

This update does not make me happy at all.

Oct 8, 2019 1:04 AM in response to srinivasan.chemi

Hi Guys,

Finally I made some research and found a solution. I enrolled to apple beta (because we cannot role back to iOS 12.4 by any way) and installed iOS 13.2 beta. Now the battery life is nearly okay. (Although we cannot get the battery life same as 12.4 but it is some what okay.)

So please try the same and respond. Finally the Apple is turning as bitter nowadays. No customer support executive understood my problem and provide a clear solution. Some of the brilliant suggestions include to purchase a original charger, looking at battery section in iOS for recommendations and restarting the device.

Nov 17, 2019 4:08 AM in response to Philip Marnef

In my discussions with Apple Support and Apple Care, they are not seeing a widespread issue and whenever I speak to a support agent, they are really asking for more people to contact them with their issue. Even if you do not have Apple Care and your device is an older one, please DO contact them by phone.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201232

They really need your report, so there's more visibility.

Success, M ツ

Oct 17, 2019 9:08 AM in response to PatMul48

So here's an update to my issue:

I've updated my 7Plus to 13.1.3 in the hope that it will resolve the battery drain issue - FALSE HOPE! There has been no improvement at all in my battery. So it seems that Apple has really screwed us up this time! I had a perfectly functioning phone until an "improvement" update!

The "update" happened last Monday 14th October overnight so I have taken a screen shot of battery "drain" before and after the "update" - one can without doubt see what the "update" has done. In the time I've had this phone I have NEVER had to charge it around mid-day with hardly any usage at all.

Since this latest 13.1.3 "fix" hasn't fixed my phone at all, I will be taking Apple's indirect advice and get myself a new phone. It's gonna be a One Plus 7T Pro. Apple, I really hope you're ashamed of yourselves! :)

Nov 7, 2019 2:15 AM in response to buckeyetex315

So I’m in the Genius Bar in Birmingham UK and they confirm that iOS 13 has been an issue. All in-depth diagnostics done again and confirmed that no unusual usage and the battery drain is too fast for very little usage on my phone, at least we’re not all imagining it. They recommend a complete wipe and reinstall. The recommendation is to use the phone for a few days without restoring from backup and see how it performs. So my phone has been wiped and I will use the phone in a raw state to see how it performs. A call back from Apple has been arranged for this coming Sunday 10 November so I will give you a further report after that.

The answer to my question, ‘what if this action doesn’t resolve it? We will have to escalate to engineering, but likely the outcome will be to wait until the next iOS update’. 🙁

To confirm, my device is S6 with 13.2 installed and a battery that’s 11 months old with a 98% maximum capacity on battery health.

**WARNING: Please do a backup before you wipe your phone. **

Success, Michael ツ

Nov 8, 2019 12:22 AM in response to marine1948

After a full charge by 13.48, it drained to the low 10’s in about 6 hours. And this was after a full reset and not downloading my apps. So the only apps on the phone are Apple apps as part of the software. This reset also did not work for me.

I also received this after some comments I made.

“We removed your post Battery Drain iOS 13.1.2 on iPhone because it contained rants or complaints that weren’t constructive. We understand wanting to share experiences, but these forums are meant for technical questions that can be answered by the community.”

Oct 9, 2019 8:04 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

I disagree I have iPhone 6s battery just replaced 6-months ago at genius .It still has a battery life of 99% and lasted all day no problem .Now with iOS 13.1.2 the battery drains like a big v-8 engine while you watch the fuel gauge go down it is terrible and unacceptable .As far as I'm concerned this is a planned by Apple to force us to upgrade .I don't know about you but I had enough . I am now disabled and just bought this phone in mint condition and have no money to replace .Very unhappy with greedy big companies .

Oct 9, 2019 9:41 AM in response to wizzer40

I see the comments and in my opinion do not install 13.1.2. It is messing with a couple apps of mine too besides the battery. What I don't know is if the battery gauge is accurate or not. It is possible the battery is fine and the gauge is messed up or visa versa. Whatever it is hope Apple sends out another update and fixes it.

Oct 9, 2019 6:05 PM in response to Douglas2916

I was just planning to buy new iphone XS...but now changing my mind...this is not the 1st time i face this...last time i update my ios...my phone software crash...have to reinstall everything...so sad...to get iphone its expensive but in return...u get ****** software

Oct 10, 2019 3:50 AM in response to srinivasan.chemi

I use iPhone SE and had no problem with batter till upgrade to 13.1.2 . Prior my battery was holding like 24-29 hrs with standard use of phone . Now a 12 hours later my battery dropped from 75 to 16 % within 3 hours ( no video , no games ) . And % are dropping from 18% to 11% within 5 minutes . I red all above and I do come to think that if release of new IOS harms usability of older phone that means something about how company treat client. Which is very low in this case ! If that is policy of coompany my next phone will be most likely not-iPhone .

Battery Drain iOS 13.1.2 on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.