Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hotspot connects but no internet

iPhone 8 13.1.2 - my hotspot doesn’t have internet even though I do actually have LTE or it is connected to WiFi. My PC will connect to hotspot, but has no internet. I can use my phone to surf the web fine.

I have reset network settings twice, turned cellular data off/on, no cellular updates or iPhone updates are available.

This worked perfectly prior to update to 13.1.3.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2019 6:04 AM

Here’s the simple fix that worked for me:

1. Disconnect internet-seeking device from iPhone
  2. Turn hotspot off
  3. Change iPhone name
  4. Change hotspot password
  5. Turn hotspot back on
  6. Reconnect internet-seeking device to iPhone via new iPhone name and password on Wifi networks list

It seems as though the old network info (iPhone name and password to connect) will get you to connecting with the iPhone but not onward to the internet. When the iPhone is renamed and a “new” WiFi connection is learned, all seems to play well. Likely a security setting issue with carrying an old pass key forward into an updated iOS.

54 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2019 6:04 AM in response to jae_1616

Here’s the simple fix that worked for me:

1. Disconnect internet-seeking device from iPhone
  2. Turn hotspot off
  3. Change iPhone name
  4. Change hotspot password
  5. Turn hotspot back on
  6. Reconnect internet-seeking device to iPhone via new iPhone name and password on Wifi networks list

It seems as though the old network info (iPhone name and password to connect) will get you to connecting with the iPhone but not onward to the internet. When the iPhone is renamed and a “new” WiFi connection is learned, all seems to play well. Likely a security setting issue with carrying an old pass key forward into an updated iOS.

Oct 15, 2019 7:01 PM in response to MoonJ.

IOS 13.1.3 Did NOT fix my hotspot connection problem. I can see my phone name in my devices (two different Roku’s). I can enter my password. It tries to connect but drops off. It shows WiFi but never connects to the internet. I’ve turned my network off so it doesn’t “auto join” as suggested by some. It will connect to a chromebook. Worked great before IOS 13. Hotspot is not working. It is such a basic and high demand feature. Please Apple, figure it out soon. I loaded 13.1.3 with bated breath. What a disappointment.

Oct 25, 2019 3:01 PM in response to jae_1616

1) Reset network Settings on iPhone: Settings > General > (scroll down) Reset > Reset Network Settings (this will reboot the phone, & rename it to “iPhone”)

2) Rename the iPhone after reboot: Settings > General > About > Name (use something less generic)

3) Change the Hotspot password: Settings > Personal Hotspot > Wi-Fi Password

On a Windows (7) computer (Windows 10 is slightly different):

4) Right click the network icon in the system tray > “Open Network and Sharing Center” > “Manage wireless networks” (Google will show you how to get here in Win 10)

5) Remove ALL instances of iPhone hotspots you see

6) Enable & connect to the iPhone hotspot

While connected to the iPhone Hotspot:

7) In the Network and Sharing center, in the “view your active networks” section; click the network (blue text, something to the effect of…) “Wireless Connection (iPhone)”

8) You’ll see that IPV4 shows “no internet”, while IPV6 shows “Internet”

9) Open an elevated command prompt (run as admin)

10) Run the following commands (do not reboot as suggested by the CMD);

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns

11) Same as step 7, only now you should see that both IPv4 & IPv6 are pulling IPs, & have internet.

Oct 23, 2019 5:31 AM in response to EssBee20

This finally helped me. I got this from another community member and it worked. My problem was connecting to my Roku device. The key is do not re connect to your house internet after doing the following: I reset the network on my phone (7 plus); then I went to the advanced settings on my Roku and reset the networks there. Be sure WiFi is turned off on your phone and does not auto join. Turn on hotspot (toggle it off and on to see a box that says “turn on WiFi” Turn it on. Scan for your phone on your device. Select it and enter your password. This connects for me—however if I ever connect back to my house WiFi the mobile hotspot stops working and I have to go through the whole process again. I’m curious if these steps work on your devices. The person who helped me says it has something to do with your device and it’s IP address. Still it’s an Apple bug for sure!

Oct 26, 2019 1:35 AM in response to Alpha_DumDum

Having same issues with my 8plus. Following step 10 worked except I only have internet on IPV4, but at least I have it, so thank you. I use the hotspot for work in the field, I guess the question now is am I going have to do step 10 every time I need internet while working. As with others my hotspot was fine until I updated to 13.1.3.

Lost internet connection while writing this back on house internet now. I have been to my carrier several times and they said they are having a lot of calls about hotspot issues on the iphones. So yes Apple please fix this.

Oct 23, 2019 2:21 AM in response to jae_1616

I've this same problem on iPhone 8 running iOS 13.1.3. My devices (Windows laptop, Fire TV, Android phone) can see the iPhone hotspot and connects to it but there is no internet connectivity thru hotspot, though i can browse internet on my iPhone.

I've tried resetting the network and all other options i found on internet to no avail. Is this a known bug in latest iOS?

Best

Oct 26, 2019 1:58 AM in response to jae_1616

jae_1616 Said:

This worked perfectly prior to update to 13.1.2

———-

Provide Feedback to Apple on this:

Do your Part: Using this link, report this concern to Apple by selecting Bug Report for the Feedback Type: Feedback - iPhone - Apple Support

The more feedback Apple receives of this, the more their engineers will know what is occurring and what bugs need to be fixed.

Oct 12, 2019 4:05 PM in response to jae_1616

Hello jae_1616,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand from the information you provided that your hotspot connects but there is no internet access; I'd like to help.

Let make sure you have the latest carrier update for your iPhone. Here's a resource that could help:

Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

Then restart your iPhone:

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Keep us posted with the results.

Best Regards.

Nov 23, 2019 7:57 AM in response to Gumknuckle

I give full credit to these solutions to ska8ter skate. This works for Roku: turn off WiFi on your iOS device. Go to Roku Settings, Then System, Advanced System Settings, choose Network Connection Reset and reset connection.

Then on your phone go to Personal Hotspot and turn “auto join” off and on again until you see a message that WiFi is off and from that message enable WIFI. Go back to Roku and go to network connection. When you search for networks DO NOT activative any other network but your IOS device.

The Roku will hold your IOS setting. If you activate a different network on Roku it will lose your IOS setting and you have to repeat all the steps.

I’m attaching a screen shot for the windows. Read down to the config stuff. This is entered at the command prompt. Good luck and shame on Apple for letting this go on for so long.

Oct 25, 2019 1:50 AM in response to jae_1616

Hello all

I am having the same issue however it is only on certain devices.

I have the following devices

iPhone 11 - (Where the data is coming from)

iPad Air 4 - (Connects fine and uses data from iPhone fine)

Huawei Y7 2018 - (Connects fine and uses data from iPhone fine)

Tesco Hudl v1 - (Connects fine and does NOT use data from iPhone)

Tesco Hudl v2 - (Connects fine and does NOT use data from iPhone)

The devices that do not connect are my sons. I need to tether so he can use his tablets over my data. All devices connected fine before the update.

What is baffling me is why does my Huawei Y7 connect and use the data perfectly fine and my other older android devices do not.

I have tried all the recommended fixes. Reset network settings, restart hotspot, restart all devices. Nothing works.

**COME ON APPLE PLEASE GIVE US A FIX**

Phil

Oct 28, 2019 1:10 PM in response to Alpha_DumDum

Sorry, Apple. I just got your "Solved problem" email. However, I have to inform you my solution does in fact NOT solve this issue.

I have 5 people in my firm that are having this same issue. This process resolved the issue... temporarily. It appears that either after a reboot, or an amount of time passes, the issue persists.

Please fix your broken updates, Apple.

Hotspot connects but no internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.