Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is navlibx

updated to Catalina last night. I have this persistent message that "navlibx" will damage your computer window that keeps coming up and won't go away? Any thoughts how to get rid of it?

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 2:21 PM

53 replies

Nov 12, 2019 12:08 PM in response to Trofmov

Can you name 1 virus for Mac OS? Please get the difference between a virus and other types of malware straight there are major differences! The malware Macs may be prone to are NOT viruses as none exist in the wild hence my question to please name one.

However as you correctly state there is other malware they are prone to, however the user has to install these types of malware to "infect" their Mac. However, by using a little common sense this is easily avoided. First, is to use what Apple says in Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams located at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204759 . Also to follow what is stated in https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8071

Other common sense items are to:

• Never download something from a site that is unknown (to the user) or not trusted.
  • Never using a Torrent to download something the user did not pay for.
  • Do not download adware.

I have used Macs for close to 20 years and have owned many, in all that time I have never had any malware installed on any of my systems. Why, because I follow the basic common sense.

Dec 21, 2019 12:29 PM in response to mosqueda

That is the opinion of most experienced users on these forums. Get rid of the garbage (antivirus apps) and that will help open the door to solving the issue. Ignore the suggestion and well you're pretty much on you own.

I know that sounds terse however I am correct. There are ZERO viruses for Mac OS, however there is other types of malware. That is the bad news. The good news is these types of malware must be installed by the user and are pretty simple to avoid the user uses some common sense including:

Personally I have been using Mac OS for many many years and have owned many Macs (iMacs, MacBook Airs, MacBook Pros, Mac minis ) and have never had any issues, why because I follow the simple rules listed above. All Mac OS needs to remain secure it to keep it up to date. Using antivirus, cleaning and other third party apps only serves to put money in those vendors pockets and in exchange you get an unstable slow system.

Best of luck.

Oct 22, 2019 11:51 AM in response to DALRAD

I was experiencing the same issue of Navlibx error message stating 'may damage your computer'. This community's advise is that Navlibx issue is rooted in Symantec 7 (or prior) poor integration with Mac OS Catalina and that removing Symantec 7 resolves the Navilbx error message issue. I resolved the issue with the following steps. Navilbx error message is no longer occurring.

1. Uninstalled Symantec by throwing its entire folder into the Trash and emptying the Trash
  2. Re-start Mac
  3. When Navlibx error message popped up next I went to its Finder Folder place, moved Navilbx file to Trash, emptied Trash

Dec 21, 2019 8:04 AM in response to elisa210

Agreed. It was NOT there before and it did only start happening immediately after Catalina. It appears to be conflict between Symantec (in my case) Enpoint and Catalina. I don't agree with @rkaufmann87's assertion at all. In my case I have an older build of Symantec (it's an enterprise version) and need the version made for Catalina. The bottom line is older versions of Enpoint and likely other Norton products simply are not compatible.

So, no matter how many times you try, you cannot update the software. The only recourse is to completely remove every file from the root drive. Fortunately Symantec has an app for that.

Next you have to restart, but I can say definitely the pop-up just stopped because the file is gone. I absolutely do not agree that Mac OS is bullet-proof and requires no protection, that's sheer folly and Industrial Age thinking. It does need protection, being careful has nothing to do with it. When you work for various companies, you will get targeted.

I recommend removing the software entirely and then try to figure out what will work best.

Oct 11, 2019 3:57 PM in response to elisa210

I recommend not installing any any antivirus, cleaning or any other third party "maintenenace" app. Why, simple Mac OS is EXTREMELY secure and if simply kept up to date and otherwise left alone it will remain so. Mac OS does not benefit from nor does it require any of the above types of apps.

There are ZERO viruses for Mac OS, however there is other malware out there. That is the good new and the bad news. The "other malware" is easily avoided by using a bit of common sense which includes never downloading from a site you do not know or trust. Never use a torrent to download software you did not pay for. Avoid phishing scams that tell you your system is infected with something, these can come in the way of phony e-mails, calls, pop-ups, etc..

If you follow the above your system will remain secure and stable. I have been using Macs close to 20 years and have never had any malware on my system, why because I do exactly as I preach.

If you want your Mac to be slow & unstable then continue using third party antivirus and cleaning apps and if you are doing any of the sense items I mentioned to NOT do, stop them!

Oct 13, 2019 6:04 AM in response to DALRAD

Hey CitizenVolunteer,

That file named navlibx is a library of Symantec the virus scanner of Mac it's not a virus but if u have the old version is not compatible with macOS Catalina. Just update Symantec and don't install a cleaner for it because that can give u adware spyware or virus. It's only at Mac Catalina at the newest version available

Oct 13, 2019 7:25 AM in response to dinan210

I uninstalled the old version of Norton, installed the new one and voila...problem went away! I also would never install a third party cleaner...I trust Norton...used it for about 20 years now and aside from the occasional compatibility issue, I've never had a problem and it cleans just fine. I would also never go unprotected, even on a Mac.

Oct 15, 2019 12:33 PM in response to Wearerees

I don't have Norton either but do have Symantec Endpoint Protection, which results in the same bogus warning. Trying to get the University IT folks to update this software, which they mandate and control remotely. Different types of Symantec software probably use the same library file and will give the same symptoms until uninstalled & updated.

Oct 19, 2019 4:28 PM in response to DALRAD

Try uninstalling "navlibx," which is what I did after it showed up to me, also.

STEP 1: Click "Show in Finder" on the pop-up message.

STEP 2: Right click on "navlibx."

STEP 3: On the choices/commands that show up, click "Move to Trash."

STEP 4: Open Trash on the dock.

STEP 5: Right click on "navlibx," then choose delete immediately.

STEP 6: All done!

Oct 21, 2019 9:11 PM in response to satoshio

It would be much much wiser to uninstall Symantech, it's totally worthless and doesn't do a thing except slow your computer down and cause wierd problems. Macs do not benefit nor do they require antivirus software or cleaning apps either. Locate the developers instructions to uninstall it and execute them, your Mac will gain some speed and become stable again.

what is navlibx

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.