Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to share screen after catalina update

Hello,

I just updated to Catalina a couple of days ago and since then I am not able to share my screen using any software including skype or gotomeeting.

My clients are simply not able to view my screen .They are just able to see the top menu.

Anyone else facing the same issue?

Thanks,

Adnan

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 11:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 10:26 AM

This is what worked for me. It seems the issue is the way Catalina deals with System Preference > Privacy > Screen Recording.

1. Open this dialog (it will probably be blank)
  2. Open your app and start a session then attempt to screen share
  3. The app should give you a notice that it needs permissions
  4. The app should show up in the dialog list
  5. Check the box
  6. You will need to restart said app (so do this before a real meeting)

Was able to add; Teams, Skype and Zoom this way.

100 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2019 10:26 AM in response to madanpunam

This is what worked for me. It seems the issue is the way Catalina deals with System Preference > Privacy > Screen Recording.

1. Open this dialog (it will probably be blank)
  2. Open your app and start a session then attempt to screen share
  3. The app should give you a notice that it needs permissions
  4. The app should show up in the dialog list
  5. Check the box
  6. You will need to restart said app (so do this before a real meeting)

Was able to add; Teams, Skype and Zoom this way.

Oct 15, 2019 8:18 AM in response to Danny_macuser

I ran into the same issue with GotoMeeting on Mac. There is an easy solution. Click the Apple in the upper left hand corner of the screen > System Preferences > Security & Privacy. Click the Privacy tab at the top of the dialog box. Scroll down on the left hand side of the screen to Screen Recording. Check the box next to GotoMeeting. You will be alerted to quit GotoMeeting before the change can take place. Then re-start GotoMeeting. You will be all set to now share your screen.

Oct 29, 2019 5:37 AM in response to Danny_macuser

Screen sharing issue with Bluejeans after Catalina update

• Make sure you are using Bluejeans 2.x version. If not, you can download it from https://www.bluejeans.com/downloads
  • After installation go to System perferences > Security & Privacy > Screen Recording and check/allow Bluejeans
  • Then go to System perferences > Security & Privacy > Accessibility and check/allow Bluejeans
  • Restart your machine (this is how it finally worked in my machine)

Oct 16, 2019 7:21 PM in response to madanpunam

I'm using a MAXHUB screen and cannot get it to connect at all. Have looked at the settings and privacy as has been suggested above, seems to all be in order to give permission, but no joy.

Before update, it worked a dream, plugged the dongle in and the screen shared just fine. Now it won't allow the dongle to connect, though it does mount on the desk top.

Any advice?

Oct 18, 2019 6:26 AM in response to FrankSingap

Same issue for Teams. Nothing resolves the screen sharing issue. Updating the security/privacy preferences worked once but though it is still checked, Teams won't screen share any more. The same outcome using Teams from the Chrome browser.

For me this is a serious problem since professionally I need to use Teams and screen sharing all day long.

Oct 21, 2019 6:29 AM in response to Danny_macuser

Yes, same issue. Can't share active application on screen in Gotomeeting, Skype, or Webex. Sales issue with all, can see the screen saver but can't see the active screen (e.g. Finder, Excel, PPT, Outlook, etc.). Was told the apps running aren't latest version supporting 10.15, but in reloading them the sales problem occurs. Only option at this point is to revert back to prior OS version to get it working in the short term.

Oct 21, 2019 1:05 PM in response to MK5746

I have tried all of the above tips... nothing has worked except the very strange, close all other open applications tip! Thank you! In my case it was either Microsoft Office suite of apps or Safari. I tried shutting down all adobe products first, that did NOT work. I have even sent logs to Apple Engineers and they just said call Google! The strange part is, if I log in as a test User on my Mac, log into the same google account and try to start a meeting, it asks me if I want to share my screens and then it works! But in my main account on my Mac it does not ask about permissions and even when Permissions are checked, then I unlock and uncheck to restart chrome and reset the permissions, google shuts down chrome, I restart chrome, check the permissions box in system settings, and try to share on a google hang out meeting, it doesn't work. I have been trying this since the day Catalina came out, massive waste of time! Wish they actually knew how to fix this issue.

Oct 21, 2019 7:53 PM in response to Danny_macuser

Have had the same problem with Google Meet which has been asking to be granted permissions. Have my browser Chrome enabled already in System Preferences->Security & Privacy->Privacy->Screen Recording. But it still doesn't work.

SOLUTION:

I was quite surprised to hear from others in this thread that other running apps might be the problem. So I started quitting them one by one, and checking in between if screen sharing (in Google meet) would work.

Closed Excel. Nope.

Closed Powerpoint. Nope.

Closed Photos - TADA!

For me, it seems the Photos app (yes, by Apple) was creating the problem. Far fetched, but yes...

Note: MacOs Catalina 10.15 on a Macbook Pro, Latest version of Chrome

Not able to share screen after catalina update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.