Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to burn iso to cd under Catalina with Finder???

Every ISO i attempt to "Burn to Disk Image" using finder (under Catalina) fails with the following message:

Could not burn "whaver.iso". The disk image is invalid.

For what it's worth, the ISO is a valid disk image, but Catalina doesn't seem to understand that.

How is this supposed to work?

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 6:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 5:19 AM

It does work, but for some reason the process has become very unntuitive.

Use the finder and double click on the iso file to mount it.

From the file menu within the finder you will find an option to burn. Select it.

39 replies

Oct 24, 2019 9:21 AM in response to JimBoofa

I was able to get it to work after doing some more research.

1. First open the iso by double clicking on it.
  2. Put the blank disk in your DVD rom.
  3. When the dialogue box comes up to run black DVD click open which will place the dvd on your desktop.
  4. Go back to the mounted iso folder with your file.
  5. Now go to file and burn like you would normally do.

Thats it, and it worked for me with out a issue.

Oct 26, 2019 6:08 PM in response to tklettke

tklettke wrote:

Doesn't work for me: I can't even open (=mount) the ISO.
Tried different CentOS and PuppyLinux ISOs - which work fine on other computers, including my Mojave MB Pro, but won't open on my Catalina MB Pro.

Because these are bootable raw images containing multiple partitions macOS may not be able to mount them. You can create a bootable USB drive from these Linux .iso files using Etcher.

Nov 5, 2019 10:42 PM in response to JimBoofa

I don't have a solution but I am pretty sure it's kernel level. I've tried it on etcher with the same results. The reason I think it's kernel level is because when I tried to "dd" in the command line it gave me an "oprand" error for the iso. Dudes....if it's not broke don't fix it.

The reason I use Mac is because it's a flashy *nix that runs Adobe. Seriously considering an X1 Carbon and getting Adobe to run in a VM. I know it would be a pain but so are the issues with this new OS.

Nov 6, 2019 9:38 AM in response to Paul Wilkins

The operating system will mount Apple, FAT, exFAT, and NTFS filesystems. It has never known how to mount Linux filesystem content. So, the message that you report is correct.

The old command-line .iso to mounted device burn that I have used in the past was:

sudo dd if=/path/to/.iso of=/dev/rdiskn bs=1m

where rdiskn is the CDROM or USB stick device name.

I have not tried UNetbootin or Etcher on Catalina as had no reason too, and they may not be 64-bit apps.

Nov 6, 2019 10:20 AM in response to VikingOSX

One of the Linux CD images I was referring to above (bionicpup64-8.0-uefi.iso) is a ISO9660 image. Please note that I have no problem burning the same image on my older (2015) Macbook Pro under Mojave, via the "Burn Disk Image" context when selecting the file in Finder. When I do the same on my Catalina MBPro it shows "Could not burn ... The disk image is invalid".

Also notice that the Catalina MBPro will open the actual CD that I burned on the Mojave machine just fine. Thus it's not a matter of Catalina not reading the file system, but it not being able to mount the ISO image.

If you would like to try it yourself - here is the link to the ISO:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-bionic/bionicpup64/bionicpup64-8.0-uefi.iso

Nov 6, 2019 11:08 AM in response to JonFromGR

Doesn't mount...I'm just restoring from an old backup with the previous version of the OS. Catalina isn't supporting my outdated Adobe CS6 anyway so that is three strikes (Adobe, iso issues, keyboard issue-Mac problem, not new OS). Restore.

This is the last Mac I will personally own. And probably won't recommend them any more. If Adobe was supported natively on Linux...I think Apple would lose a good portion of its user base.

Feb 4, 2020 2:49 AM in response to JimBoofa

mmm... I have just discovered this exact problem on macOS Catalina 10.15.3 on a Mac Mini 2014 with a USB Superdrive.

Right click on a bootable iso file, and try to burn it...."The disk image is invalid."

Tried to do a dd to the raw device file of the superdrive. Would not do it! Must be a change at the kernel level!

Then tried the hdiutil that has been mentioned. Seemed to successfully write the file, but that DVD would not boot properly on a PC.

Then suspected the iso file itself even though it's SHA-256 was OK. Tried it on an ESXi VM and it booted fine!

The problem is definitely within Catalina! Not good!!

Just called Apple Support who confirmed it, but no note of a fix yet.

Now I am going to try my USB Superdrive on a Windows 10 PC with Apple Bootcamp drivers....but this should not be this difficult!!!

Come on, Apple!! :)

Feb 4, 2020 6:45 AM in response to akjeff

It's only because I read the whole thread akjeff, that I discovered this process/solution. It's on page one. The post from jlmallard suggested they'd tried several other solutions and this was the first time they'd discovered the problem.

They might not have tried the solution on the first page. It worked for me (and all the people on page 2 - you should read it).

how to burn iso to cd under Catalina with Finder???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.