Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dock not working after upgrade

Since I’ve updated to iOS 13.1.2 for my iPad Pro, some of the apps in the dock won’t work. I can reopen them on the main screens, but not when using the dock. I’ve never had trouble accessing these same apps from the dock before. Is anyone else having this issue, and do you have any idea how to fix it?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 2nd Gen, Wi-Fi, Cell

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 1:51 PM

Same here. Sometimes some of the recently used apps in the dock just will not activate from there. It knows you are touching it as it "darkens" when you touch it. You can even get the pop up options from it there, but it just will not open from the dock.

This has definitely got to be an ios13 bug, for sure!

59 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2019 1:51 PM in response to Knitnurse69

Same here. Sometimes some of the recently used apps in the dock just will not activate from there. It knows you are touching it as it "darkens" when you touch it. You can even get the pop up options from it there, but it just will not open from the dock.

This has definitely got to be an ios13 bug, for sure!

Oct 16, 2019 2:23 AM in response to dj_dee

I agree that there is a problem with the dock. However, this workaround helped me. After moving the offending app to the left side of the dock, the problem went away. I then moved the app out of the dock and onto the desktop. When I used the app from the desktop it worked, then a copy of the icon appeared on the right side of the dock (recently used), and continues to work from that location.

Oct 29, 2019 3:56 AM in response to critters911

Outside of the Developer community, there are two fundamental mechanisms to report issues to Apple. The first is to use the Apple Feedback channel:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Filing a report via “feedback” is very unlikely to receive a response - but we are led to understand that all reports are logged.

Your second path to report issues is to open a case with Apple Support directly - using the “Contact Support” link at top-right of this page.

Nov 2, 2019 5:30 PM in response to Knitnurse69

I had this problem on my iPad Air 2

I found going into “settings” - “general” - “mulititasking & dock” and switch off the “show suggested and recent apps”.

go back to your home screen and you will notice the “recent apps” are missing off the Dock.

open a couple of apps from the home screen, they will not appear in the dock. Then go back to settings and switch the “show suggested and recent apps” back on, open a few apps and the should start to appear in the Dock and you can now launch them from there.

Oct 15, 2019 5:55 AM in response to Knitnurse69

This seems to be a frequently reported issue following update to iPadOS.

Assuming that the Apps with which you have difficulty are not in need of a compatibility by the respective developer, usual a simple restart of your device will clear to problem.

Sometimes, with third party Apps, I have found it necessary to delete and reinstall the App to clear the problem.

Hope this helps.

Oct 18, 2019 6:52 PM in response to Knitnurse69

I have this issue to. And, as some on this thread have pointed out, the problem lies only with the recent apps side of the doc. I think there’s a related problem too. If you double click to close apps, some app windows will show up black. It turns out that they’re for apps tha aren’t even open, and you can’t swipe them away. This release is a real mess.

Oct 20, 2019 1:55 PM in response to Knitnurse69

I have exact problem. Found it can be temporarily resolved by settings>general>reset all settings. This moves all your apps around and out of folders, so you then need to re-arrange back to where they were. However, the problem recurs. If you hover in recent apps, the ones that work appear to have a shortcut to the app with share app name whereas whereas the ones that don’t open have share null. i.e. the shortcut is missing. Apple problem that will hopefully be fixed.

Oct 20, 2019 6:26 PM in response to Knitnurse69

My dock is not working for the icons so the right hand side of the dock since the upgrade. I reset my iPad, and that fixed it for a very brief time then the error occurred again. Re-setting is not a permanent fix based on my experience. I also minimized all applications, cleared them all out, the reset with same result. A very brief fix.

Nov 8, 2019 7:58 AM in response to Richard5567

Seems to affect 3rd party apps in the recently used section of the dock.

Another minor observation. I usually run a nature sounds app thru a Jambox bluetooth speaker when I go to bed. Previously, when I turned the speaker on, ios would automatically put the nature sound app in the dock. This ‘feature’ is apparently gone in ios 13.

Nov 18, 2019 4:57 AM in response to Litereeder

Yes, but... The purpose of the left side is to hold apps that you use frequently. You place apps there for easy access, to have them readily at hand. The purpose of the right side is to show recently used apps. IOS places apps there that you've recently used, subject to dock space availability. By moving everything to the left side you've reduced the space for recently used apps to zero. Try this: Once you've moved an offending app from the left side to the right side and observed that it works, then move it out of the dock and onto to the desktop. That will free up space on the right (recently used) side of the dock again. Now open the previously offending app from the desktop. I found that the app would then appear on and work properly from the right (recently used) side. Repeat for each offending app.

Dock not working after upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.