Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stickies Database file location on Catalina 10.15

Could anyone help me find the location of the Stickies Database on Catalina? I have the file in my backup from Mojave but cannot find the file on Catalina (~/Library/). Thank you in advance.

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 11:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2019 11:21 AM

I found a solution to this. If you have the old stickies database file,

• delete the new database folders
    • ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Stickies
    • ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Stickies.migrated
  • once these are deleted, ensure stickies application is quit,
  • copy stickiesdatabase to ~/Library
  • open stickies application. The database will be converted on opening.
43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2019 11:21 AM in response to ernst67

I found a solution to this. If you have the old stickies database file,

• delete the new database folders
    • ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Stickies
    • ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Stickies.migrated
  • once these are deleted, ensure stickies application is quit,
  • copy stickiesdatabase to ~/Library
  • open stickies application. The database will be converted on opening.

Nov 3, 2019 2:17 PM in response to ernst67

My StickiesDatabase file resides on its own, outside of any folder, in ~/Library. This is for Mojave 10.14.6. On Mojave, this file is removed, and then recreated any time you add, change, or remove a sticky note. Restoring this file may not reveal all the stickies that you thought might be in it.

Here is a Catalina Stickies User Guide.

On the road right now, so no access to Catalina to further investigate how it handles Stickies.

Oct 17, 2019 10:14 AM in response to ernst67

My previous message may not be clear enough and I am sorry.

I recently did my backup and installed Catalina from scratch. So far, everything works great except my stickies. I cannot get them back because the file "StickiesDatabase" located in ~Library/ that I used to replaced does not exist and when I copy my old database file there nothing happens.

I tried importing my old StickiesDatabase file into the Catalina but I on see a bunch of non readable texts in one sticky.

Has Apple change the stickies database location in Catalina? To where?

Please help.

Ernst.

Oct 17, 2019 10:34 AM in response to ernst67

They don't appear to be part of a database anymore. They are just Rich Text documents stored individually.

They are stored in the Stickies Container in the user Library, com.apple.stickies/Data/Library/Stickies

I don't know how you would extract the stickies from the database. You might try creating ~/Library/Stickies/ and put the database in that folder.

Nov 3, 2019 1:42 PM in response to ernst67

I am a long time user of Stickies and have been testing Catalina on an external drive. I discovered that I can copy the Stickies app from a drive running Mojave. It reads my old StickiesDatabase file. What's a bit strange is that both stickies apps are version 10.2 even though they have different creation dates etc. It would be nice if someone at Apple created a migration tool or script to import the old StickiesDatabase file into the new Stickies app for people like me who have more than a hundred sticky notes.

Nov 10, 2019 4:35 PM in response to janjop31

Janjop, I copied an old copy of the Stickies app from an old Time Machine backup (probably from Mojave). It is version 10.2 as well. Creation date Feb 22, 2019, 21.3 mb. When I try to open it, it hangs (not responding). Is this the same creation date and version as yours?

I am running Catalina 10.15.1 The native Stickies version is also 10.2, creation date Aug 24, 2019, 1.9 mb. It opens the 2 sample files but not my Stickies database file.

Howard

Nov 10, 2019 4:50 PM in response to ernst67

The Stickies application that ships with Catalina does not use, or read the previous generation StickiesDatabase digest file. Instead, the Catalina Stickies application automatically saves individual stickies notes in their own serialized *.rtfd package folder with an accompanying TxT.rtf (rich text document) and possibly a tiff image. These are in stored in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Stickies folder hierarchy.

For those that want to live in the past and for a Mojave Stickies application onto Catalina, I suspect that the next Catalina update will detect that transplanted Mojave Stickies application, and replace it with the proper Catalina version.

Nov 17, 2019 5:14 AM in response to bmohnsen

Unfortunately, this import option doesn't work. It imports the entire old Stickies database file into a single note that is full of gobblydigook.

streamtypedÅËÑ@ÑÑÑNSMutableArray

NSMutableData∑∑

{\fonttbl\f0\froman\fcharset0 Times-Roman;\f1\froman\fcharset0 TimesNewRomanPSMT;\f2\fnil\fcharset0 LucidaGrande;

\f3\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;\f4\fswiss\fcharset0 Arial-BoldMT;

Nov 17, 2019 5:26 AM in response to bmohnsen

Bmohnsen, you solved it.

I expanded and looked at the imported data more closely. My data is all there. It will just take me some time to clean it up.

I will copy any important information to the Notes app.

Thank you very, very much.

\f0\fs24 \ul Computer-related

\f1 \

\fs8 \ulnone \

\f0\fs24 Apple Canada 800 263-3394

\f1 \

\f0 Apple Store (Consumer) (800) MY-APPLE / 692-7753

\f1 \

\f0 Apple U.S. 800 275-2273

\f1 \

\f0 apple.com/contact/phone_contacts.html

\f1\fs8 \

Nov 29, 2019 5:59 PM in response to ernst67

I upgraded my dad's MacBook to macOS Catalina, and it broke Stickies because "Catalina" Stickies apparently stores notes in a newer format from the old "StickiesDatabase" as outlined in this discussion.

Upgrading macOS Mojave to Catalina did not migrate or import the old StickiesDatabase file data into the newer version of Stickies. It just shows a single, blank notes.

Temporary Workaround: I opened "Time Machine" backup from an external drive and restored the old Mojave Stickies app naming it "Stickies (OLD)" which is still able to open and read the pre-Catalina StickiesDatabase file.

I attempted to use the "Export to Notes" function in the old Stickies app, which prompts you: "Your Stickies will appear in an “Imported Notes” folder in the Notes application. Text formatting, links and pictures will be preserved. Notes will be organized into separate folders based on color."

However none of the data is actually exported. Instead a new note appears in "Notes" which says "Stickies.app" with the Stickies icon.

So I haven't figured out a way to actually migrate data from the old Mojave Stickies app other than exporting and/or copy pasting each sticky note manually… but at least for my dad any anyone else who relied on Stickies pre-Catalina can still access all that data by restoring the old Stickies.app which will open the existing StickiesDatabase file which is preserved in its original location.

Stickies Database file location on Catalina 10.15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.