Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search Option Missing in the iTunes music store On MAC

Not only am I upset about the column browser missing in Catalina. But now when I go in to the music store I can't find the search bar. How the heck am I supposed to find anything to buy? The only thing I can do is click on any albums on the front page. There is no way to search for artists, songs or albums.

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 11:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 12:39 PM

Click "Search" at the top of the sidebar in the Music app on a Mac and then click iTunes Store at the top right of the screen. See below:

44 replies

Nov 3, 2019 6:37 AM in response to FoxFifth

This solution worked for me...temporarily. But the new system is flawed. I need to be able to search for a song while still in a playlist. This option forces you out of the playlist in order to search. This is a downgrade for Apple. I hope there is a way to get the search bar back in order to search while in a playlist. This new system is archaic.

Jun 6, 2020 11:00 AM in response to Roth91

*** ANSWER ***

For reference, I am running Catalina, with iTunes version 1.0.5.14 (the current version as of this post)

SEARCHING YOUR MUSIC COLLECTION CAN BE DONE TWO WAYS. ONE IS A LITTLE-KNOWN SECRET - READ ON!

HERE ARE THE TWO WAYS TO SEARCH YOUR MUSIC COLLECTION IN ITUNES / MUSIC APP OSX:

1. As noted by FoxFilth and others, use the search field in the upper left corner of the Music App (OSX) and after entering some text in the field, choose where you want to search. Pretty basic. BUT this method returns results in clunky playlist format.
  2. TO SEARCH YOUR LOCAL SONGS, just like with the old iTunes "Search" field, first click on SONGS (in Library), then click OPTION-COMMAND-F TO REVEAL THE HIDDEN "FILTER" FIELD. This works like a charm for searching your local library. OMG, I was so happy when I found it! Hope it helps you, too! Please click the "Helpful" button below this comment if you think it will help others!

Oct 11, 2019 1:17 PM in response to Roth91

First, did you open the app named "Music'?

Second, did you click in Search at the top left of the screen in the Music app?

Those were the two things that I did before taking the screenshot in my previous reply.

If you do those 2 things, what do you see?

Obviously, no need to reply if you intend to go back to Mojave anyway.

Oct 23, 2019 8:51 PM in response to Roth91

i opened the music app, clicked on search, then iTunes store. Nothing! Even put in the name of the band in search then clicked iTunes store. Still nothing. Just a empty page with a search symbol in the center of it. Dead! Why the change? I enjoyed purchasing individual songs before. Why make it so difficult? Ugh!!

Dec 30, 2019 7:10 AM in response to Roth91

Sometimes is just best to leave things alone. There will always be those who celebrate ANY and ALL kinds of changes. I'm not one of them. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it." Fiddling around with things, as in this case, makes Apple users unhappy. I think Apple needs a more mature approach. You don't need to read between my lines. I think I'm being pretty blunt.

Mar 29, 2020 4:34 AM in response to Roth91

Search was always available for the store. I don’t know what u people are crying about. BUT how do u limit your search to your own library???If I go to music or TV and look for a movie or song that I own so I can edit the info or add an Album cover etc or just play a selection. It takes me to a page of Apple store selections! It’s like they are trying to trick u into using their crap. I have been an Apple user since 2005. I have NEVER purchased from the store. I download movies from YouTube or I go to another company that charges 15/song and 1.00/movie. Now I can only use finder. Catalina has destroyed my trust and desire to be a Mac person. Linux for me.

Mar 29, 2020 7:59 AM in response to cattlecrossing

Suppose you don’t wanna buy from the outrageous expensive store. Maybe u just wanna hear something u already own? It will bring up the store. To find your own stuff u can’t use Music or TV. You have to use the Finder. Stupid stupid Catalina. I keep my media together at home. It’s called entertainment Ctr. I don’t go from one room to another to hear a podcast or watch a movie or browse my music collection. It is so lame. It just change for the sake of change. iTunes was not broken.. You want to destroy Jobs creation. Go install Linux people.

[Edited by Moderator]

Mar 30, 2020 4:24 AM in response to cattlecrossing

Before the upgrades, itunes was the center of your media experience. If you wanted to play music or watch a movie, it was all. in that one app. When I downloaded a new movie I dragged it over to itunes. From this app I could play it, edit , anything. This same library, same app, had all of my usic, audiobooks, Podcasts. All toegether. Now if I want to hear a song, that I uploaded from my CDs for instance....if I type out the name of the song, I an directed to the STore, so I can buy it or rent it or whatever. But it avoids my personal collection. If I want to play a song that I own, I have to go fumbling thru a long list of 500 titles till I find it. Otherwise I take a chance I may be charged for hearing it. Of course I can go to Finder and SEARCH....but why should I?. If you remember the way iTunes was before Catalina you will see the difference.

Its not a complicated question. Bring up upur music app. Then type out the name of a song or podcast that YOU uploaded. Nothing from the store. ie maybe a song from your old CD collection. A song YOU OWN. You will be directed to the store, where you can rent it or buy it. How "wunnnerful" I can rent my own song. Or buy it again. WHy doesnt it just take me to the song I uploaded. years ago. I dont get it. Im not new to Apple. I have been around quite a while. SO I dont need a lesson. Just fix it or tell me what mysterious way there is now.

Search Option Missing in the iTunes music store On MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.