Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos crashing on catalina

Photos keeps crashing on Catalina.

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2019 9:59 PM

I had the same problem...it took double the time to download photos from cards...apparently I used my external drive as a back up and it corrupted my Photos...I spent 3 days on the phone with Apple talking to those who work with Photo app...I finally had to buy another external drive and transfer all my photos over to it and then reformat the old one...that seems to have fixed it...but I am a photographer so had so many photos and the Photos app that I used would not open up or took hours to open up...do not use the external drive that you use for everything else with Time Machine to backup your files...use a seperate drive to do this...this is what the Apple techs told me...they also said they had no indication that Catalina did this...but it started when I downloaded Catalina...they said that it made the errors more pronounced and wide spread...

65 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2019 9:59 PM in response to SMW1964

I had the same problem...it took double the time to download photos from cards...apparently I used my external drive as a back up and it corrupted my Photos...I spent 3 days on the phone with Apple talking to those who work with Photo app...I finally had to buy another external drive and transfer all my photos over to it and then reformat the old one...that seems to have fixed it...but I am a photographer so had so many photos and the Photos app that I used would not open up or took hours to open up...do not use the external drive that you use for everything else with Time Machine to backup your files...use a seperate drive to do this...this is what the Apple techs told me...they also said they had no indication that Catalina did this...but it started when I downloaded Catalina...they said that it made the errors more pronounced and wide spread...

Mar 18, 2020 11:22 AM in response to crmchees

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

ALSO IMPORTANT:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine the root of the problem.

Jul 20, 2020 10:08 AM in response to Mullo1234

For each MacBook download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Mar 22, 2020 10:21 AM in response to philipfrmporters lake

I don't see any of the usual suspects in the report. However, I'd remove all items from your User Login Items preference pane and uninstall the "Fireplace live HD free" screensaver and run for a while that way to see if there's any improvement.

Also log into another user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Macthat does not have any of the items you have installed in your current account and see if the problem persists. (This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide).

Jul 20, 2020 2:50 PM in response to Russ New Boy

You have a number of apps that are crashing. Remove all items from the System/Users & Groups/Login Items preference pane, reboot and run for a while to see if there'a any improvement. If there is then add them back one at a time and test again.

Unless the Code42 app is mandated by your company or job I'd remove it entirely as it's not needed for Macs. Using AppCleaner to remove it should do a good job of getting all of the support files that get installed along with the app.

There is no reason to ever run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community.   

Mar 3, 2020 2:47 PM in response to crmchees

I have

• one MBP15 2013 16GB RAM 1TB SSD on Catalina 10.15.4 with Photo 5.0 (141.19.110)
  • one Mac Mini late 2012 8GB RAM 2TB SSD on Catalina 10.15.3 with photo Version 5.0 (131.17.170) connected to 60" TV

And for already several months, Apple Photo keeps on crashing on Mac Mini only while It is fine on MBP

I tried everything and it always crash.

I am now thinking about replacing the macMini by a Windows PC. Sad.

Oct 25, 2019 9:19 PM in response to crmchees

Upgraded to Catalina on my 2015 MacBook Air and since the update Photos repeatedly crashes. Never had an issue like this with Photos before the upgrade but now it is almost impossible to work with. Every time it crashes it generates an error report which I assume is going to Apple and hopefully they will fix the issue. Most frustrating.

Nov 11, 2019 3:36 AM in response to maurizio208

Since Catalina, my photos app on the iMac keeps on crashing and rebuilding.

My whole photo-archive is 67.000 images.

It took 48 hours non-stop computertime get access, because it kept on making new "apple-revisit" things that are totally unnecessary. Now it is crashed and rebuilding the library (again and again).

But the last thime0% in 2 hours. I am afraid all my pictures are lost. I have backups, but not of this year (stupid i know).

Can i get access to the actual photo files and migrate them outside photo's?

It would be a disaster for me to loose my photo-archive. This thread does not give hope for the future.

Nov 11, 2019 6:11 AM in response to Avannispen

I was able to transfer my photos once they opened up at 100 at a time...I found if I did more than that it would crash again...but I called Apple and they kept telling me it was my external drive...so I bought a new one transferred all photos over and it still crashes...there is a problem and Apple again does not want to admit it...

Nov 11, 2019 6:21 AM in response to crmchees

No, it is def. Catalina. My iMac is superslow since i installed it (and regret doing that), but the real problem for me is Photos.

Luckily the library is reconstructed today (after 3 hours), but it keeps on crashing and is unstable. My mission is now to get my photos also out of the photo app. Thanks for the 100 photo export tip.

Hope Apple will acknowledge that there are serious problems there and fix it.

Nov 11, 2019 7:45 AM in response to Avannispen

The scary thing is -- I'm not used to my Mac crashing on anything, that only happens with Windows!

This Photos crashing stuff makes me concerned with Final Cut X, Compressor, Logic Pro and all the other Mac Catalina ported pro applications as well. I mean, how buggy are those? They're hundreds of times more complex than Photos.

Is Mac Catalina Apple's Vista? Hope not!

Dec 7, 2019 5:17 PM in response to JuanmiDuran

I have the problem in photos when viewing pictures they slightly freezes then comes in this happens all the time since macOS Catalina, also scrolling web pages is not smooth so disappointed had it into the Genie Bar and they reinstalled macOS Catalina come home and loaded the rest of my things on still the same problem, they told me if that didn't fix the problem they would sell me a new Mac at cost, Apple if you read these things fix the dame problem you caused it.

photos crashing on catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.