Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cracking sound on bluetooth headphone connected to Catlina os 10.15

Does anyone facing cracking sound or any kind of inference after connecting you MBP to any of bluetooth headphones?

After connected when i play a new song in youtube it starts with huge crack/disturbance kind of noise and it continuous..

I thought my bluetooth device has some issues, but it works normally on other devices.

I tried reset my bluetooth driver and restart my system, still facing the same issues.

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 10:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 7:32 AM

you can solve it by download the latest version of  Additional Tools for XCode and go to tools --> audio option and disable both force to aac and disable aptx.

Then disconnect and coonect the Sony bluetooth device. It works for me. Hope you get it.

Simply it will enable the Other supportable codec formats.

69 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2019 7:32 AM in response to Joshisadesigner

you can solve it by download the latest version of  Additional Tools for XCode and go to tools --> audio option and disable both force to aac and disable aptx.

Then disconnect and coonect the Sony bluetooth device. It works for me. Hope you get it.

Simply it will enable the Other supportable codec formats.

Oct 18, 2019 11:38 AM in response to esridhar126

I have exactly the same problem after upgrading to Catalina. I have this headset since about 8 months and it was working very well until upgrade to Catalina! This is just one of many issues I have faced after Catalina upgrade such as screen time passcode

Bluetooth works well if I use another use at the same MacBook. Under my user, where I used to use it for about 8 month, it is not working no matter what I do. I have tried to forget it from Bluetooth devices and pair again, did not fix it. Also tried to reset Sony headset to default setting and re-pair, same problem.

Come in Apple! you should fix it!

Nov 29, 2019 2:35 AM in response to esridhar126

I was inspired by the solution https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250736951?answerId=251486600022#251486600022

But I searched for free way to do it. Please read https://ww.9to5mac.com/2018/08/31/mac-how-to-force-aptx-aac-on-your-supported-bluetooth-headphones/ . You can download xcode additional tools here https://developer.apple.com/download/more/?=additional%20tools

I had to select Disable aptX and Disable AAC. It will force SBC codec. So far it worked for me. I'm looking forward to official fix from Apple in order to continue using aptx&AAC.

Oct 13, 2019 11:53 PM in response to esridhar126

Yes, i have the same problem since updating to Catalina. Using a Sony WH-CH500 headphone connected through bluetooth, ever since the update at the start of a song (spotify, youtube) or even when i forward a song, i have this loud annoying cracking sound which scares me to death :-)

Tested my headset on my android cellphone through bluetooth and no issues there.

Already removed the device on MacOs, reset the headphone to factory settings, removed the com.apple.bluetooth.plist file but nothing helps.

Please fix this asap !

(macbook pro 2015)

Oct 15, 2019 8:29 AM in response to esridhar126

Same problem here with a Sony WI-C300, started happening since I updated to Catalina. My headphones work fine with my iPhone XS, but when I use them with my MacBook Pro (2014) it makes this weird noise like a screech for like a second sometimes when I pause o play a new song. I tried pairing my headphones again with my mac but the issue persists. Please fix this.

Oct 24, 2019 11:27 AM in response to esridhar126

I had exactly the same problem with my Sony WH-CH500 headphones and I found a partial solution. I used Bluetooth Explorer app and turned off aptX codec.

Now my headphones operate on SBC codec and everything seems to be fine. I'm not experiencing this loud, annoying and cracking sound anymore.

You need to turn off Bluetooth at first. Run Bluetooth Explorer, go to Tools, then Audio options and click Disable aptX. Close the program, turn on Bluetooth and reconnect headphones.

I hope my solution will be helpful.

Oct 24, 2019 11:53 PM in response to jedkub

I read your reply and was eager to fix this issue. As a developer i work 8 hours a day with my headset on and for almost two weeks i am destroying my ears with this issue.

I followed your steps but unfortunately this did not fix the problem for me. I still have the same cracking sound when switching songs.

The bluetooth options however still say i'm using AAC codec?

edit: after some clicking and checking, i am now on the SBC codec and the issue is indeed fixed that way. It had something to do with EqMac2 equalizer i was using that made it not switch to SBC directly.

Thank for your findings, allthough it is something Apple should be able to fix

Oct 29, 2019 7:38 AM in response to esridhar126

When I updated to OS Catalina, I began to experience the same, extremely jarring, loud, high-pitched 'glitch' scratches when connected to my large Sony multi-channel AV receiver STR-DH590 that I listen to audio, video, and other content on my MacBook Pro 15".

Clearly, there's a Sony product commonality among this issue and the posts voicing the feedback, and I've looked online for updates of firmware and such on Sony's website to find no update or information regarding OS Catalina.

I have similarly researched how to remedy Bluetooth issues as others have listed, followed all the steps of deleting library files and the like with restarting and disconnecting and re-connecting and no option for fixing this has resulted in a successful solution.

@Apple this is jarring, disruptive, and highly inconvenient to research workarounds for Bluetooth options for audio.

I've resorted to plugging in a headphone jack 2-channel white/red splitter for my floor speakers and surround sound speaker system, but would like to be able to return to Bluetooth connectivity as there are plenty of opportunities for me to make my MBP laptop move around my design studio away from being hard-wired to my Sony receiver.

Cracking sound on bluetooth headphone connected to Catlina os 10.15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.