Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't create a new Mac Mail account in High Sierra...

Ten days ago my old Outlook for Mac 2011 just quit on me; couldn’t send or receive e-mails. Tried using Mac Mail with the same result. Called my ISP (Cox) and got a Tier 2 tech rep to look into it. They swear it’s nothing on their end. I’m currently able to log into Cox’s web mail, and am able to send & receive e-mails online. So I’m guessing there’s something wrong with my desktop (Mac mini).

I upgraded to High Sierra from Sierra (another nightmare, but I digress). Tried to set up my Mac Mail account, and just got to the window where it asks you to input your name, e-mail address, and e-mail account password. Tried it many times, and each time I got a spinning wheel that just kept going and going and going. After about 10 minutes of this I finally got a “couldn’t connect” notice (I don’t remember the exact language, but it was something to that effect). I tried deleting my old Mac Mail account and attempted to create a new one; got the same spinning wheel and connection failure. I tried setting up a new Mail account with a different User account: again failure. I tried resetting to my default Keychains and restarted: still unable to connect.

Then I downloaded three new e-mail apps: Spark, Spike and Thunderbird. Had the same failure with Spark and Thunderbird, but amazingly I was able to connect with Spike! For all three I was able to manually enter the server port settings, etc; at this point I’ve got them all memorized. Now I really don’t want to use Spike as my main e-mail program; I want to be able to use Mac Mail. Why would Spike connect when the other 3 failed?

I’m really hoping someone on this forum can help me out. Very frustrated! Also, is there anyway I can enter the server port settings manually on High Sierra when setting up a new account? I haven’t been able to find a way to circumvent the first dialog box that gets stuck on the spinning wheel (when setting up a new mail account).

Any advice, info, help will be greatly appreciated!

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 17, 2019 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 8:54 PM

In another thread, BDAqua suggested to download the EtreCheck diagnostic app; it paid off. Turned out to be the following“Unsigned” file: com.DataFormatSearchP.plist. I have no idea what an “Unsigned” file is, or what this one did, but deleting it fixed my problem. Mac Mail is finally working! You can see my other thread by searching for Mail App only works in Safe Mode on iMac running High Sierra.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2019 8:54 PM in response to pusswad

In another thread, BDAqua suggested to download the EtreCheck diagnostic app; it paid off. Turned out to be the following“Unsigned” file: com.DataFormatSearchP.plist. I have no idea what an “Unsigned” file is, or what this one did, but deleting it fixed my problem. Mac Mail is finally working! You can see my other thread by searching for Mail App only works in Safe Mode on iMac running High Sierra.

Can't create a new Mac Mail account in High Sierra...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.