Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Serious problems with Mac Pro amplified by upgrade to Catalina.

Hello all,

I am desperate and don't know what to do. Since my upgrade to Catalina my Mac has been freezing and crashing constantly numerous times per day. It sometimes freezes and nothing works requiring me to press the on/off button to shut it down and then press it again to re-start it. Some other times I walk away, its display goes into sleep mode according to the time I have set (1 or 2 minutes) and it then crashes and re-starts on its own - when I return to work on it again the screen displays a message it crashed and re-started.

I am running the latest version of Mac OS X including the latest upgrade that became available today. I have removed all software not compatible with Catalina and updated those who had Catalina-ready versions. This included:

1. The removal of Adobe CS6 leaving only the latest version of Adobe's Creative Suite CC 2019,
  2. The removal of Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 followed by the purchase and installation of Microsoft Office for Mac 2019.

Is anyone else experiencing similar problems with Mac OS Catalina? Can anyone provide any advice as to what may be causing these issues? Is there a way to obtain reports that would show what is the cause of these problems?

Thank you in advance.

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 12:46 AM

Similar questions

31 replies

Oct 31, 2019 9:46 AM in response to apple_customer

Yours is the first instance reported here of a junk panic report, so no one knows why those are not being saved correctly.

Do you have any new Panic reports? If not, the most likely conclusion is that it is not panic-ing, but the graphics card is messed up.

consider using target disk mode to check the drive on the Mac Pro. this article talks about copying, but you can also do a disk repair:

Use target disk mode to move files to another computer - Apple Support

if your Mac Pro runs for a little while, consider enabling Screen Sharing, and looking at what it is doing from another Mac across your Network:

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

Nov 7, 2019 10:02 AM in response to apple_customer

How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

Etrecheck produces it best reports the you change its preferences to "Allow Full disk access" before starting its run. Then it can add a summary digest of recent diagnostic items.

Even the free version of Etrecheck does a good job of analysis, but if you post its report back here for readers to analyze, several readers will take a look and may find different things that could be trouble.

Nov 15, 2019 2:05 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder,

I did run Diagnostics and it didn't find any problems. Immediately after I ran Diagnostics and re-started my Mac Pro and it crashed a short while after. Diagnostics is obviously an unreliable tool or at least one we can't completely trust.

One thing I noticed is that my Mac Pro is crashing and re-starting on its own when left unattended. I initially thought it had something to do with the Screen Saver or the Energy Saver function so I changed the Screen Saver 'Start after' function to 'Never' and 'Turn display off after' function to 'Never'. I DID NOT change the 'Put hard disks to sleep when possible' function and left it checked (I believe this was the factory's default setting). The two changes in settings didn't seem to have any effect on the re-starting problem because immediately after I made the changes and left the computer unattended it crashed and re-started again.

I noticed a panic report was produced after the re-start. It does have a bunch of characters in the beginning just like all the others but I noticed a few more legible characters at the end that I will try to post here. In case you are able to read it I would appreciate your feedback if anything makes sense to you.

Thank you again for your help.

Oct 30, 2019 12:18 PM in response to DonH49

Smokerz,

I have the following connected:

1. G-Technology G-Speed Shuttle XL 24 TB RAID Drive (Mode 0)
  2. OWC Mercury Elite 12 TB software-based RAID drive (Mode 0)
  3. OWC Mercury Elite 12 TB hardware-based RAID drive (Mode 0)
  4. OWC Mini 4 TB SSD Raid (Mode 0)
  5. LaCie 2Big 16TB External Drive
  6. Pioneer BDR-XS07S Slot Loading Portable BD/DVD/CD Blu-Ray Writer drive

New Software I have installed as a consequence of the upgrade to Mac OS Catalina:

1. Microsoft Office for Mac 2019
  2. EndNote X9 Research and Bibliography software
  3. Roxio Toast 18 Titanium Media Suite and DVD/Blu-Ray burner app
  4. Extensis Suitcase Fusion v. 20.0.7 font management software
  5. Adobe's new Creative Cloud app
  6. Adobe's Creative Suite 2019 apps (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Lightroom, etc...)

I hope this helps and thank you again for your help.

Oct 30, 2019 12:29 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Just one important piece of information I wish to add:

I also own a MacBook Pro 17" (2010), a MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2015) and a Mac Mini (Late 2012) with an Apple 27" monitor. They are running the following operating systems:

1. MacBook Pro 17" (2010) - Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra
  2. MacBook 13" (Early 2015) - Mac OS 10.15.1 Catalina
  3. Mac Mini (late 2012) - Mac OS 10.15.1 Catalina.

All three computers above behave flawlessly and never freeze or crash. I run the same software on all of them. The problems are restricted to the Mac Pro.

Thank you.

Oct 30, 2019 8:31 AM in response to DonH49

Only the 2013 model is supported by Apple for Catalina.

There should be ample evidence available. Kernel panics are stored in file with Date&Time and ending in .panic at this directory:

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

Use Finder > Go menu > Go to Folder ...

... to navigate there, find the most recent kernel panic report, and post it in its entirety, using this:

Oct 30, 2019 11:44 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder,

Thank you for your help and reply.

I tried to post the report you requested but it wouldn't work using the additional text window below. I added the text and then pressed the button add text but, in addition to being extremely slow, it wouldn't do anything. I will try to add the text to a separate reply post.

Please let me know if I have done it right.

Thank you, again.

Oct 30, 2019 12:04 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder,

I can't do it. The additional text box doesn't work. It nearly freezes and becomes very slow in responding. After I add the text and press the button 'Add Text' nothing happens.

I also tried to add the text as a reply but received a message stating I had exceeded the 5,000 word limit.

Important note: I was only able to add text to the reply box using Firefox. Safari wouldn't even allow me to do it.

Thank you again for your help.

Oct 30, 2019 1:53 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder,

I figured it out. The 'additional text' button you recommended opens a window that only allows 100,000 characters to be added.

I copied and pasted the Kernel Panic Report to BBBedit to check the character count and it shows the report has 2,873,232 characters (nearly 3 million characters).

This is the reason the 'add additional text' isn't working.

Oct 31, 2019 9:28 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder,

Thank you again for your help and for reviewing the information I posted.

Please help me understand this process. How and why did my computer produce this junk that appeared on the Kernel Panic report? What is wrong with my computer that is causing it to behave this way? All my other Macs don't have this problem so it is clear the problem is the Mac Pro. Is there anything I can do to solve this problem? My computer froze today more than 10 times and it is still early morning for me. I can't use it to do anything and it has become virtually useless.

What should I do?

Thank you in avance.

Nov 3, 2019 8:37 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

For what it’s worth I have the exact same symptoms since upgrading the OS this past week on the same MacPro spec late 2013. I get freezes 4+ per day and it

automatically reboots.

However, no panic reports are in the directory highlighted above.

I've run disk first aid and all seems fine.

Watching this thread with interest and curious if others have seen the same and any troubleshooting recommendations.

Nov 5, 2019 5:28 AM in response to apple_customer

What would I do?

Already posted firmware version is 133.0.0.0.0 which is the latest and must be kept updated.

I'd remove all those external drives to determine if problems goes away.

I'd also make sure the software to create and maintain those raid drives is up to date, for sure. I'm thinking you use soft raid.

I'd also save as much data as possible and if you want to run Catalina start all over from a clean drive and not installing new software over old deleted software.

I'd also determine the type of controller used in all those external drives and try to eliminate any using the same controller software. I did that on my 2013 Mac Pro and now all my restarts and sleeps are working normally. I cut out all my sandforce external drives. Just based upon trial and error not logic.

Lastly, did you swap out your internal Apple branded SSD for say an NVME? If so, that swap out has to be done logically correct.

Nov 7, 2019 12:53 AM in response to Guy Jenkins

Guy Jenkins,

I get far more than the 4+ freezes per day you reported and I also experience the same automatic reboots. I noticed the reboots tend to happen more frequently when the computer goes into screen saving mode but don't know if the two issues are related. This has been happening since I purchased the Mac Pro and the issue is unique to this computer - I have several other Macs and not a single one displays any of these problems.

Serious problems with Mac Pro amplified by upgrade to Catalina.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.