Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The macOS dictionary app cannot add new build in dictionaries

I just got my 16 inch MacBook Pro with macOS 10.15.1, I was trying to add a new build in dictionaries on the dictionary app in the macOS, but once I checked the corresponding box on the preferences of the app, it can not be checked. the box will automatically uncheck. Such as the dictionary "The Standard Dictionary of Contemporary Chinese", I can not checked that corresponding box on the preferences. But my 15 inch MacBook can checked that box. Dose anyone know any solutions? Thanks

Posted on Nov 16, 2019 7:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 6:37 PM

Actually, I tried one more thing and it works, as a temporary solution.

1. Download the from the links in the

com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionaryOSX.xml

file, as exemplified in my comment above.

2. Instead of going to the system folder, add to your user's Dictionary folder:

/Users/<user>/Library/Dictionaries

3. Rename the file to a different name, eg.

Portuguese - English2.dictionary

4. Voilá: a duplicate entrance will show up on the preferences and this one is now selectable and usable.

59 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2019 6:37 PM in response to scheeko

Actually, I tried one more thing and it works, as a temporary solution.

1. Download the from the links in the

file, as exemplified in my comment above.

2. Instead of going to the system folder, add to your user's Dictionary folder:

/Users/<user>/Library/Dictionaries

3. Rename the file to a different name, eg.

Portuguese - English2.dictionary

4. Voilá: a duplicate entrance will show up on the preferences and this one is now selectable and usable.

Nov 23, 2019 6:23 PM in response to jijithecat2007

A bit more information, but unfortunately no solution...

The system dictionaries seem to be stored here:

/System/Library/AssetsV2/com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionaryOSX

This is in the System folder, so to actually manipulate anything here, one has to disable System Integrity Protection (proceed with caution).

If one deletes any of those asset folders, Dictionary.app recreates it when we select the dictionary again.

Now, in that folder, there is also the following file:

which has the link to all dictionaries on Apple's servers. For instance, for the Portuguese-English dictionary:

<key>__BaseURL</key>
			<string>http://appldnld.apple.com/ios11.0/048-04169-20171219-3E638938-E064-11E7-BED0-328EE988D09B/</string>
<key>__CanUseLocalCacheServer</key>
<true/>
<key>__InstallWithOS</key>
<true/>
<key>__RelativePath</key>
			<string>com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionaryOSX/163595ab3e757c8ac7fa284e89f101919e3ad920.zip</string>

meaning one can get the dictionary from:

http://appldnld.apple.com/ios11.0/048-04169-20171219-3E638938-E064-11E7-BED0-328EE988D09B/com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionaryOSX/163595ab3e757c8ac7fa284e89f101919e3ad920.zip

I copied this file into the said folder, gave it the adequate permissions and tried seeing if Dictionary.app would see them. It didn't work because as soon as I selected these files on the preferences, they were deleted from the folder.

Ran out of ideas, so I give up...

Nov 23, 2019 9:57 PM in response to scheeko

Following scheeko's discovery, I figured out that you don't actually have to download anything. All the dictionaries are already preinstalled, located at

/System/Library/AssetsV2/PreinstalledAssetsV2/InstallWithOs/com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionaryOSX

Some of the dictionaries here are actually newer than the ones found in the download links in that xml file.

Nov 19, 2019 12:26 PM in response to Hahaha666

Hello Hahaha666,

Thanks for the post. I understand you're unable to modify the preferences for the Dictionary app on your Mac.

For confirmation, you're able to check the boxes in question, but they seem to uncheck shortly after, correct?

Does it help if you click Apple menu () > Restart and try again?

If not, try creating a temporary administrator account on your Mac. Then, log in there to see if you can replicate the issue. This will tell you if it's system-wide or user-specific: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Once you've tested, reply back with the results to see if the community can offer more guidance.

Have a good one.

Nov 23, 2019 12:19 PM in response to Hahaha666

It sounds like everyone having this problem is using the new 16" MacBook Pro. I have seen other people on the Developer forums report problems with this machine and Apple services.

Apparently, this machine has a special build of Catalina and that is causing problems with the Apple Dictionary service. Check System Preferences > Software Update and see if you have an update available, as described here: https://mrmacintosh.com/2019-16-macbook-pro-catalina-10-15-1-supplemental-update-19b2106/

That may fix the problem. If not, the next build of macOS may do it. Please use the Feedback Assistant app to file bug reports on this issue.

Nov 27, 2019 12:01 AM in response to yunyufromboston

Hello yunyu,

To move documents into that folder, you have to disable the System Integrity Protection, as I explained in the post above. This is because Mac OS no longer wants users to freely change the contents of the System folder.

As I also documented in that port, moving them to that folder will not work as a current bug will attempt to download or copy new folders into that System folder, whenever you select the dictionary in the Dictionary.app preferences, deleting the ones you copy into it.

If you don't mind setting the dictionaries for each user, instead of System-wide, you can follow the instructions in the subsequent post I wrote, marked as solution for this issue.

Nov 21, 2019 9:59 AM in response to CarlAVII

I met the same problem as Hahaha66. Besides his problem, I also found that I cannot search any word in dictionary. Although I checked some of the dictionaries, no matter what word I tried to look up for, it tells me “entry not found”. I tried restart my device or create another test account, but still failed to solve this problem. Is there a way to fix it without reinstall macOS?

Nov 23, 2019 2:01 PM in response to etresoft

My 16MBP is fully up-to-date (on build 19B2106).

I was digging into the Console logs a bit and found several errors for failed downloads of different dictionaries. Some dictionaries do seem to download, others don't, so it seems like a problem on the server side.

Example errors:

Error in downloading associated linguistic data (lang:(
    pt,
    en
)):Error Domain=ASError Code=22 "Unable to copy asset information from https://mesu.apple.com/assets/macos/ for asset type com.apple.MobileAsset.LinguisticData" UserInfo={NSDescription=Unable to copy asset information from https://mesu.apple.com/assets/macos/ for asset type com.apple.MobileAsset.LinguisticData}

DictionaryApp: Start download com.apple.dictionary.OxfordSpanish
DictionaryApp: Download 'com.apple.dictionary.OxfordSpanish' failed with result code (29)

DictionaryApp: Start download com.apple.dictionary.pt-en.oup
DictionaryApp: Download 'com.apple.dictionary.pt-en.oup' failed with result code (29)

Nov 26, 2019 11:47 PM in response to Mark_Zhao_

I found that there are two com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionaryOSX folders in the system.

The first one with all the dictionary resources is in the path:

/System/Library/AssetsV2/PreinstalledAssetsV2/InstallWithOs/com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionaryOSX 

The second one is in:

/System/Library/AssetsV2/com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionaryOSX 

There are several folders under this path. Those folders are the dictionary resources which are actually used by Dictionary.

My approach for the problem is to move the dictionary resources files from the first path to the second path. However, I cannot copy and paste or move the resources from the first path to the second path.

Can someone help me with that?

Thanks.

Nov 27, 2019 12:22 PM in response to scheeko

Hello scheeko:

Thank you for your reply. I tried the previous solution, but it did not work for me. I am not sure if I did it wrong.

I first got the 163595ab3e757c8ac7fa284e89f101919e3ad920 file from the link.

Then I put the whole folder under the path

/Users/<users>/Library/Dictionaries 

Then I went to

/Users/<users>/Library/Dictionaries/163595ab3e757c8ac7fa284e89f101919e3ad920/AssetData 

I changed the dictionary file from Portuguese - English.dictionary to Portuguese - English2.dictionary

However, the new entrance did not appear on my dictionary preference.

I am not sure where I did wrong. Could you help me with that? Thank you!

The macOS dictionary app cannot add new build in dictionaries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.