Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie line spacing in titles driving me mad!!

Hi - I'm submitting this as a new question as it's been months and the problem is STILL ongoing . . . spacing in titles . . . it does it automatically, without my input, and every time I go in to edit the font, it adds more space. I use imovie professionally and if this problem isn't resolvable soon, I'm going to have to purchase FCP or Adobe and move to those softwares, as this makes sticking to branding IMPOSSIBLE.

[sorry for shouty capitals - I'm very frustrated with this issue!]

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 18, 2019 8:11 AM

1 reply

Nov 18, 2019 8:47 AM in response to charfurgie

Hi, charfurgie,

As you say, kerning (spacing) has been an issue with some titles. The problem has manifested particularly with the "Line" and "Lower Third" titles. Possibly there are other affected titles. Another user recently reported the issue again. It appears to be a bug, as no one on this forum has been able to find a reliable cure. It is definitely a frustrating issue where the spacing is critical to the effect that one is trying to create.

You might take a look at this thread, and particularly the thread link within it, to see if anything in there helps you:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250346844

Perhaps changing to a different title or changing the size of the default font after you have typed in your text might help.

You can also make your titles in the Preview app, where you can select the font and font size that you want. I have satisfactorily made some titles in the Keynote app that you can get for free at the app store.

I'm not entirely sure that Final Cut would not also have the kerning issue, as it might have some of the same title templates as iMovie. If you are considering buying it you might first want to post on the Final Cut forum to see if anyone there has experienced the issue. Same with Adobe.

-- Rich

imovie line spacing in titles driving me mad!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.