Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 16" Kernal Panic During Restart when Plugged into Dual Monitors

I just got my fully spec-ed out 16" MBP today with 2.4 i9, 5500M 8GB, 64 GB RAM, 4TB HD. I did not install from a migration...just ran updates and am on 10.15.1, so it's a stock install...very clean. I noticed that when I was docked to my two UltraFine 5K displays with the computer lid closed and I would restart the computer, just as the machine was restarting the screen would shut off, the fans would ramp up to 100% for a second and the machine would restart. What let me know that it had a kernel panic is that when it would start back up, there would be a message saying "that your computer has restarted due to a problem." The report that it would create is attached below.

Now doing some testing I was able to prove that it would only happen when the lid was closed and two screens were plugged in. It would not do it if both screens were plugged in and the lid was open. Any ideas?

I did run a hardware diagnostic and it came back clean. Aside from this, the machine is smoking fast.

Thanks for the help.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 12:31 AM

98 replies

Jan 29, 2020 5:54 AM in response to christian222

Hi Christian,

I'm in a very similar situation. Slightly lesser spec on the MBP and two LG Ultrawide 5K Thunderbolt displays; same behaviour in regards to kernal panics.

I also have two other problems;

1. the MBP sometimes doesn't wake up if it is connected to the external display. Opening the lid will either wake up the machine or cause a kernal panic (Fans and restart as you describe)
  2. The MBP doesn't detect the screens adequate resolution when waking up

Does this happen to you as well ?

In my case, I found that this is caused (or at least aggravated) by parallels.

Apr 2, 2020 2:23 PM in response to ary.sharifi

I finally have mine fixed... Here's my setup:

• 16" MBP - pretty much loaded
  • 1 x 5k 27" LG monitor (new as of January)
  • 1 x 45 21.5" LG Monitor (older model from a couple of years ago)

Whenever my MBP went to sleep, the MBP crashed... Not every time, but prolly 70% of the time.

I downloaded "LG Screen Manager" and updated the firmware on both monitors. It's been one week now and I haven't had a crash at all. Occasionally, whenever the MBP wakes from sleep one or the other monitors doesn't turn on, but this is fixed by putting it back to sleep again and then immediately waking it.

Hope this helps at least one of you.

Apr 19, 2020 8:23 AM in response to christian222

Had the same problem. It's now solved.

Status here

My GPU Panic sleep problem is still solved. I have since installed my video-rendering tools, my developer tools, all my other stuff.

My energy saving stuff is back to normal (standard settings)

Having it gooing to sleep on power, on batteries, forced it to run out of batteries. Did intense GPU-use. Still no problems.

Running 10.15.4

Solution for me was

My brand new macbook pro 16 (Shipped 2. april 2020) also restarted (crashed) over nigth - actually it crashed (Kernel Panic GPU) everytime it went to sleep mode. I had nothing installed except default OSX with updates.

Solution details

1. Reset: Pram & NVRAM (still crashed)
  2. Reset: SMC (still crashed)
  3. Internet Recovery Command+Option+R (when booting) (Crashed under installation, but continued afterwards)
  4. Disabled "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off." & "PowerNap.." in Energy Saver settings (Problems disappeared)
  5. Two days later I enabled "Prevent computer from sleeping...." and "Powernap..." again (Still no problems)

I don't know if step 1-3 is necessary, but I think so.

So a macbook pro 16 that I almost returned, is now working perfectly - and I'm very happy:-)

Apr 23, 2020 9:11 AM in response to gmiles

as the kernel panic does not happen always i have studied the Kernel log and it seems to me it happens always when after waking up from sleep the system makes a call to a specific core of the cpu, it really seems a software bug.

after that i have decided to do proceed as follow in order to avoid the faulty call to the cpu core

• Disabled Powernap
  • Enabled prevent computer to sleep if display is off
  • disabled put hard disk to sleep
  • disabled SIP
  • disabled out turn on at lead open (via terminal)

not sure what did the trick, but

now with 2 monitors connected

no more kernel panic, more than a month now

hope this will help you too guys

Jan 13, 2020 4:52 AM in response to Macintosh_Man

Update: Just as a further thought and test...I separated the monitors from a single thunderbolt bus to two separate busses(?), my Mac Pro 2013 has three thunderbolt/video busses.

Nothing special at all in the shutdowns, shutdown regardless of anything else seems to work fine.

FWIW.

No way am I doing a full system reinstall that may not work for such a simple workaround.

Jan 26, 2020 11:26 AM in response to EverythingTec

EverythingTec wrote:

I have the same issue, kernel panic when plugged into external monitor. It has happened to me twice in the last three days I've had the computer (16' MBP with i9 9880H and Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB). But I have a different error message:
<Error Message.log>

That error message show a RAM Memory error, detected by some of the most thoroughly tested parts of MacOS that have to do with memory allocation and queues.

The hexadecimal pattern expected deadbeefdeadbeef a "too cute" pattern used by programmers for empty memory, but instead found deadbeeedeadbeef, a single bit error.

Normally, I would say you have an obvious RAM problem, However, you have made your situation impossible to debug because you have loaded TWO Hypervisor/Virtualisors, both VirtualBox and Parallels. You must choose one or the other, not Both, if you want relaible operation of your Mac.

Jan 26, 2020 7:58 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for looking into my issue! I have had the same error message twice in the past week (deadbeee instead of deadbeef). The first time I had the issue, I did not have any hypervisors installed on my system. Both cases happended exactly when I plug in my Dell U3415W monitor with a USB-C to DisplayPort connector. I think the chances of hardware failure causing the same bit flip at the same offset is very small. I have also run the Apple Hardware Test and Memtest86, both passed with no errors. I think it is very likely a driver related bug.

Feb 6, 2020 5:01 AM in response to Nat_c

"The only thing that helps is disabling sleep mode. "

Actually, as of 10.15.3 , it doesn't. The update actually made it worse.

Just got two kernel panics in one hour. What a joke. The thing is more stable running windows than Mac OS

If anybody is starting class action, i'm certainly in.

MacBook Pro 16" Kernal Panic During Restart when Plugged into Dual Monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.