Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to resolve flickering and unusable external monitors with the new MacBook Pro 16"? Displays have worked with previous MacBook Pros.

I have two different external monitors that both are behaving the same way.

HP ZR2740w connected via DisplayPort USB-C adapter

AOC USB-C Monitor

The HP is the primary external monitor, but I tested with the AOC monitor that is my travel monitor. Both are currently experiencing the same behavior. Both have worked with other Mac's (MacBook Pro 15", iMac 27"). Seems like there is an issue with the driver on this one alone.

At first I had the devices connected to USB-C on the left hand side. I tried different ports as part of the original troubleshooting a week or so ago and it resolved it by using the right side USB-C ports. Now this morning I come to wake the computer and we are back to flickering when I try to connect either of them. There does not appear to be any update available at this time.

Thoughts?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 6:28 AM

Similar questions

74 replies

Feb 5, 2020 7:27 AM in response to Tom DePrenda

Experiment: Use Mirror displays to connect both the flickering display and the internal display together.

If the flickering follows onto the Internal display, you likely have a Hardware problem in the MacBook Pro.

If the external still flickers when mirrored, but the internal is fine, it may be a ThunderBolt port problem or a cabling problem.

Dec 1, 2019 9:13 AM in response to GolpherZX

Hello GolpherZX,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! I understand that you are having an issue with your external displays. I'm happy to help you find some information.

Here is a resource that can assist you:

Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac

If you have an issue after reviewing the links, please contact Apple support.

Have a great day!

Feb 8, 2020 6:49 AM in response to GolpherZX

Well, this morning I woke up after leaving the MacBook open all night to the external display not working again. I've taken this opportunity to reset the SMC and the NVRAM as a twitter conversation suggested. We will see if that fixes the issue. And that is my issue. My MacBook is hardly ever put to sleep with the screen shut down. I just lock it and walk away most of the time.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Feb 7, 2020 9:54 AM in response to GolpherZX

So this is the first time that I had this continue on to a new monitor (MSI 34" ultrawide) this morning. I changed to mirror my display with CMD-F1 and the monitor got to a good state, as well as my MacBook. Using CMD-F1 again to switch back to multiple monitors put my display right back where I wanted it. This was after multiple unplug and replugs.

Just to re-iterate the process I went through in steps

1. Came back from lunch, external monitor (set as primary display) would not come on, even though the Mac recognized the desktop (I could move my mouse to it)
  2. Unplugged USB-C adapter, replugged. No change (laptop screen worked fine whole time)
  3. Unplugged and moved USB-C adapter to new port, no change
  4. Unplugged and moved back to the original port, no change
  5. CMD-F1 to move to mirror displays, Macbook display adjusted to match the screen dimensions (21:9)
  6. CMD-F1 to move back to dual displays - all is well

Dec 12, 2019 6:33 PM in response to GolpherZX

Same-ish. Was using a USB-C dock (Dell WD 15) that connected a Dell Display via HDMI on the 15", plugged in the 16" and the display flickers, green/static and now even the Ethernet isn't connecting. Tried display with portable dongle, works fine! It also charges sporadically, thought maybe the Dock wasn't pushing enough power for the hungrier MacBook Pro 16", used a 185w power brick to the Dell WD 15, which it supports, made no difference. Would hate to reconfigure my one cable setup, hoping update would patch it up, no such luck, problem persists with Catalina 10.15.2 I can continue using VGA as that seems to work, not HDMI, but the rest of the dock is partially functional, no Ethernet, power, USB unreliable.

Jan 14, 2020 6:59 AM in response to GolpherZX

Having a similar issue with an external display (LG UltraFine 5K Display) where sometimes the MacBook Pro doesn't recognize that it has the display connected to it. This is usually when it wakes from an extended sleep. I have to restart the MacBook Pro, disconnecting and reconnecting the cable doesn't seem to help. It is connected via the Thunderbolt 3 cable that came with the display (uses one cable to charge and feed video). I have the display set as my primary display with menu and the MacBook Pro is the secondary display. Prior to this display I had the original Apple Thunderbolt Display that I connected with an adapter. Same thing was happening, so I thought it was the display and adapter, which is why I purchased the new display. Anyone else have this issue or a solution?

Jan 14, 2020 7:26 AM in response to rtgtrovador

Update: I'm not a pro but I was able to get my hands on several different (all Dell) hubs from my wife's work. All had the same issue. I know it seems like a port/driver issue but it seems that a lot of people are having similar problems with these hubs that don't push enough wattage (That Dell pushes like 65w I think). This doesn't explain it for folks with LG Ultrafines. I hooked up my Dell with a temporary solution/ and Anker 7 in 1 USB-C adapter. I'm in business. Now I'm considering upgrading to one of these Dells that they just announced at CES. Run 90w USB-C geared towards running/charging new MacBook Pros.

Jan 14, 2020 8:06 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I started with the LG-supplied Thunderbolt 3 cable and switched to the Apple Thunderbolt 3 cable. The not-waking-from-sleep issue is happening regardless of which cable is being used. And it happens whether the LG monitor is supplying power or the Apple Power Supply. Many threads about the wake-from-sleep issue, so thinking it is not a cable issue. Hopefully fixed with a software or firmware update from Apple.

Jan 14, 2020 8:14 AM in response to Tom DePrenda

to get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, the display will not be shown as present, and no data will be sent to the display.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

• on invoking Option-(Detect Display) button in Displays preferences --especially on a MacBook Pro

so try doing some of those things and see if the display comes alive.

Modern Displays with multiple ports are sometimes busy scanning the other ports, looking for an input, and miss the query from the Mac. They need to pay attention to the port you are actually using, or they will miss the query.

Some displays have On-Screen Display settings that can be used to tell the display a computer is attached on a certain port, or a certain port should be highest priority. Changing those may make your display more responsive.

Some displays include their own private "sleep" settings for the display alone. This can allow the display to enter its own sleep mode, on top of the Mac's not sending it data. A display that is sleeping on its own cannot respond to the Mac's query, and will stay dark.

How to resolve flickering and unusable external monitors with the new MacBook Pro 16"? Displays have worked with previous MacBook Pros.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.