Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen time communication limits and downtime contacts

The new update on December 10, 2019 is to now enable parents to allow certain contacts during “downtime”. I’ve allowed myself as her mom, but when she tried to text or FaceTime me, she still isn’t able to do so and has to request more time as if I’m any other person in her contacts. I’ve set it to allow 4 people to be contacted during downtime but it doesn’t work. It shows my phone number and says it’s not an allowed contact. But it IS. This is a great feature I was super excited about but it doesn’t work. APPLE PLEASE FIX THIS! It was advertised even on tv that this feature was coming. It came but it just doesn’t work. Help!!!

iPhone XS, 13

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 7:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 8:32 PM

The downtime-identified contacts is not working in my set up as well. In addition, even when I designate the same contacts (parent names) as emergency contacts, the text, phone and face time feature still doesn't let my child to call out to these designates in downtime or after screen time has expired before the downtime period ends. These issues are both serious bugs and should be addressed with highest priority.

63 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2019 8:32 PM in response to TDSN2014

The downtime-identified contacts is not working in my set up as well. In addition, even when I designate the same contacts (parent names) as emergency contacts, the text, phone and face time feature still doesn't let my child to call out to these designates in downtime or after screen time has expired before the downtime period ends. These issues are both serious bugs and should be addressed with highest priority.

Aug 11, 2020 5:34 PM in response to TDSN2014

I SOLVED IT! I was having this issue too. I was an allowable contact during downtime but my sister wasn't able to message me. How I fixed it is the following:

1. Make sure you/your contact info is an allowable contact under "During Down Time" in the "Communications Limit" section. (Go to Settings > Screen Time > Communications Limit > During Down Time)
  2. Then make sure you/your contact info is listed as an allowed contact under the "Allowed Contacts" in the "Always Allowed" section. (This was my issue because my contact wasn't listed here). (Go to Settings > Screen Time > Always Allowed > the top of the page let's you pick if the phone can contact "everyone" or "specific contacts")

This worked for me, I hope it works for you all as well. Cheers.

Feb 24, 2020 8:01 PM in response to TDSN2014

Fixed mine. I’ve had the same problem even though I had already complied with all of the suggestions on this post. Then I discovered that the communication limits worked on one child’s phone but not the other. I think the change that finally made it work was this. Go into the Apple ID settings and then the iCloud settings. Under “Apps using iCloud” make sure the Contacts switch is turned ON. It asked me to merge the contacts, and I did. Now both phones can text only the contacts I select during downtime.

Feb 6, 2020 4:19 PM in response to Dieseljay

Probably wasn’t clear, my apologies. I meant do that in addition to the downtime contacts. My point was to make sure that the Messages, Phone, and FaceTime apps are allowed during downtime. Otherswise it won’t let your child call/text at all. I have this setup and it works exactly the way it’s meant to. During downtime, my son can only call or text my wife or myself. All other contacts are blocked.

Jan 11, 2020 5:59 AM in response to rocco781

I’m having this issue as well. Contacts will not sync to my son’s iPhone when I add them. In addition, despite his mother and I being listed as approved contacts during Downtime, it will not allow him to call us. Last night he attempted to call for a ride home from a friend’s house, but couldn’t.

Not only could this bug have ended up causing a very serious incident (he was safe, and we coincidentally came for him at about the same time he called), but it defeats the purpose of having the feature or a phone at all if you can use it this way. I agree with the others, this fix deserves very high priority.

Apr 30, 2020 11:25 AM in response to TDSN2014

I was having the same problem and followed all the suggestions, but I was still unable for my son to send me a text / facetime / call during Downtime. However, I think what fixed it for me was:

• Turning on contacts for iCloud
  • Setting contacts default to iCloud
  • Deleting my existing contact
  • Recreating my contact as an allowed Downtime Contact
  • But this was the one step that really solved it for me: DELETING ALL OLD TEXT MESSAGES (because my contact was STILL in several old threads of group texts... it wasn't until after I did this did it finally work)

Aug 8, 2020 11:54 AM in response to TDSN2014

I had the issue where my some of my daughters contacts worked and some didn’t.

The fix was:

1. Make sure Contacts is synced with iCloud
  2. Make sure iCloud is the default in Contacts App -> Settings
  3. Move ALL contacts from the local device to iCloud contacts (THis is the critical point).

Screen time contact allow/limits ONLY work for iCloud contacts, not contacts on the local device.

Feb 8, 2020 8:50 PM in response to hnstepp

I was running into this problem with my daughter’s phone. She couldn’t text my husband or I, but she could text my oldest daughter. I tried creating a new downtime contact and changed my name to match her contact (Mom) previously it was my name, and it suddenly worked. Give this a try. I also have text messages on always allow and she can only text me and her older sister.

Feb 18, 2020 6:06 AM in response to Tandbsm

Adding the contacts directly on her phone helped but didn’t solve. Group texts with family members who are also on her allowed list still don’t come through. I’m glad she can get and send to her Dad and I. That is essential for emergency purposes if nothing else. But the feature needs to work. It is powerful and good IF it works. Apple DEFINITELY needs to FIX this!

Mar 4, 2020 6:59 AM in response to TDSN2014

Our teens downtime contacts worked fine until after the last update. Now the allowed contacts are blocked. We search and tried everything solution we could find, but nothing worked. The only way around it has been to take off the downtime restriction. This does not work for us. I have been in contact with apple support and have a case number (Apple case 101021038261) We have been communicating for about 2-3 weeks. We have sent screen recording of the issues and they know what is happening. The engineers are supposed to be working to find a solution. In the meantime, our consequences are useless. I didn't want to take the phone away completely because I need to be able to monitor life 360 when my daughter is driving. It also makes it more difficult for us to communicate during busy schedules. Apple PLEASE FIX THIS!

Mar 4, 2020 8:04 AM in response to mamamullins4

I ended up saying screw it. I upgraded and gave her my old phone. Now it works fine. A factory reset and her logging in pre much worked, I guess.

upside; I got a new phone.

Her phone/downtime now works.

downside; I wasn’t ready for an upgrade so I spent more money Than I should have. I wouldn’t of had too if apple just fixed this, been over 2 months since it stopped working.

Screen time communication limits and downtime contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.