Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logitech 4K Pro Magnetic Webcam for Pro Display XDR not working in Catalina

I purchased the Logitech 4K Pro Magnetic Webcam for my Pro Display XDR and have found that under Catalina 10.15.2 (required to run the Pro Display XDR) the webcam will not work with any web based apps such as Chrome. This means that most of all web based conferencing services like Zoom, GoToMeeting, LifeSize, Skype for Web, etc will not work with this webcam. You can replicate the problem easily by using a handy website called webcamtests.com. On that site, you'll see the low res video load fine but as soon as it tries anything higher than 480p it will fail to work. The camera works for all other functions such as microphone and also works in QuickTime and FaceTime...just nothing else.

I've spoken with Logitech and essentially they have told me that they rely on a built in driver inside Catalina that is designed to work universally with their hardware. Either way this $200 webcam that was clearly designed and marketed to pair perfectly with your $5000 Pro display is unable to function like any other built in camera on the UltraFine 5K or built in on the MacBook Pro which all pass this test flawlessly. Even my older C615 Logitech works perfectly.

As far as concerns for permissions or security settings I am positive that is all correct. Again it works with other cameras. I really hope Apple or Logitech figure this one out or there will be a lot of disappointed people who are excited to buy the "ultimate webcam" for their "ultimate display".

Lastly, I should add, that the camera works flawlessly on a 13" MBP running Mojave. Again unfortunately 10.15.2 is required to work with the display. To me, it's clearly a driver issue inside of Catalina.

Thanks,

C

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 1:12 AM

Similar questions

22 replies

Dec 29, 2019 4:06 AM in response to christian222

Send feedback to Apple, as there are only your fellow users participating here.

Have you disconnected all peripherals save for the 4K Logitech camera and performed a cold reboot to determine if something else was interfering with the camera?

Don't forget to use the specialty cleaning cloth that came with the display, and nothing else, not even moisture.

Dec 29, 2019 8:37 AM in response to VikingOSX

Yes I have isolated the webcam sign no other peripherals connected directly to the MBP. No change. I have also tested this with other Macs and other webcams (I have two of these units). No change in effect.

Also can’t be WiFi related because I am hardwired and this test does not use bandwidth to transfer the video signal. It fails in the preview window. I will send feedback to Apple. But sadly it seems Logitech and Apple only want to point fingers at each other.

Dec 29, 2019 8:54 AM in response to christian222

And surprisingly, with the future arrival of macOS 10.15.3, this camera may just start working. That is a dice roll.

If Logitech is marketing this 4K camera for use with the Pro Display XDR, then the responsibility is on them to determine if it actually does work with a new Mac Pro running Catalina 10.15.2 and this display, or does not. If not, then they need to revise the camera, and/or inform Apple. To point a finger at Apple is a phone support shortcut to end the call, not solve a problem. Apple has no control over Logitech engineering.

Jan 11, 2020 10:02 AM in response to dialabrain

Camera does not work with new Mac Pro. The documentation that came with camera site to go Logitech.com/camerasettings & download app. You are directed to a general site with no webcam downloads available. Contact support only connects you to other users who never respond to question... no company phone number to call or tech support to email. Will be returning camera to Apple as currently it is useless.

Jan 11, 2020 10:57 AM in response to denand10

Well so just to post an update to this...I ordered and received a BRIO Logitech Webcam and swapped the magnetic base from the 4K Pro Magnetic mount and used the propriety short USB C to USB C cable that ships with the 4K Pro Magnetic webcam. The BRIO as advertised works with everything, Chrome web apps (passes the webcamtests.com test, LifeSize, and other business conferencing apps at full resolution. 

So what does this mean? Until this get's fixed, if you care about having the best webcam experience on the Pro Display XDR, you'll need to buy the 4K Pro Magnetic Webcam just for it's magnetic mount and short XDR USB C cable and a 4K BRIO for it's Catalina compatible hardware...It'll cost you just over $400...yea...

Ridiculous Logitech, test your hardware before you sell it and Apple, hold your hardware partners to a higher standard when you have them make custom gear for your $5000 monitor. 

Jan 26, 2020 1:58 AM in response to christian222

On my side, with Catalina 10.15.2 and old Mac Pro 2013, the Brio does not work properly with Facetime: When launching Facetime, the Brio is showing video but its quality is degraded. When trying to use other apps like Quicktime or Photobooth, it works perfectly! It looks like Facetime fails to initialise properly the Brio. Does anyone face the same issue?

Also, something interesting: when having this degraded video quality on Facetime, if I start Quicktime to record a video from Brio, then, correct initialisation is done by Quicktime and video becomes crystal clear on Facetime.

Feb 6, 2020 1:37 PM in response to christian222

Macbook Pro (15") 2018 connecting the 4k pro magnetic webcam direct (not through Apple XDR display).. I think I narrowed down the problem. It appears to be a chrome issue for me. Safari and Firefox work for Google video collaboration tools (Hangouts, Meet).. When I try on chrome I get a black screen but the light is on and says "Camera is starting".. Facetime works great... Just can't get it to work with Chrome.

I am running 10.15.3

Google Chrome is up to date

Version 80.0.3987.87 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Feb 7, 2020 5:30 AM in response to tctrues

The issue is that the 4K Pro Webcam will not work with Chrome Plugins/WebKit that are used in most of the business web conferencing apps such as LifeSize. You’ll notice that Logitech’s page doesn’t advertise business app compatibility like the Brio does. As for picture quality my old C615 gets better picture quality then both the Brio and 4K pro because these apps are not optimized for 4K. Who knows when Logitech or Apple will fix this issue.

Feb 7, 2020 6:09 AM in response to christian222

Also tested firefox with Google Hangouts / Meet.. Works awesome and the video is amazing. Are we sure this is a Logitech / Apple issue? Again, I am using the 4k Pro Magnetic with Apple XDR display. I have to tend to believe this is a Google Chrome problem. I am in the process of removing my extensions and keep trying. Skype worked without any problems as well.

Feb 7, 2020 6:14 AM in response to tctrues

You are correct that it’s a Google Chrome problem but LifeSize, Cisco and I believe Skype business both use Chrome WebKit in their apps. The webcam test site https://webcamtests.com/ is the official authority on testing all of the resolutions. I would use that. I too can get the 4K Pro to work if I manually drop the resolution to 720p in LifeSize.

Logitech 4K Pro Magnetic Webcam for Pro Display XDR not working in Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.