Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting Pre 2009 Purchases to Remove DRM Protection

I have 100s of songs that I purchased with DRM protection which makes it a pain to transfer to SD cards, other platforms, etc.

I have spent years trying to figure this out and the only options available are 3rd party software with a purchase cost.

Anyone have a way to get these songs coded without the DRM protection? Some have mentioned an apple service but I am not sure if the songs revert back to the old satus once the subscription ends.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 5:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2019 5:42 AM

Hi,

You do not need to go to the store to upgrade your music

If the song is shown in your library, you need to select the song and from the pop up box select remove download. You will see the track with the download arrow. You can now download the track and get the upgraded version.

You will need to do this manually for all tracks.

Read this Can we still upgrade iTunes Match quality? - Apple Community

Jim

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2019 5:42 AM in response to ouzo12

Hi,

You do not need to go to the store to upgrade your music

If the song is shown in your library, you need to select the song and from the pop up box select remove download. You will see the track with the download arrow. You can now download the track and get the upgraded version.

You will need to do this manually for all tracks.

Read this Can we still upgrade iTunes Match quality? - Apple Community

Jim

Dec 31, 2019 3:55 AM in response to ouzo12

Hi,

You can subscribe to iTunes Match Subscribe to iTunes Match – Apple Support.

Your iTunes library will be scanned to determine whether the tracks can be matched or not. There are few things that will happen.

Firstly the bulk of the tracks will show an iCloud status of “Purchased”. You will need to select the tracks then remove download. If the tracks are upgrade, they will become 256 Kbps purchased AAC tracks - now download the upgraded version.

Some tracks will become “Matched” - remove download then download the 256 Kbps matched AAC file.

There is likely to be a small number of tracks that cannot be upgraded and will remain 128 Kbps protected files. Your only option would be to burn them to CD then reimport.

Jim

Dec 31, 2019 5:11 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Thank you for your response.

As a test, I deleted a protected song with an iCloud status of Match. When i go to the Store and then purchases, the album and song are grayed out and it wont allow me to do anything. What worries me is that for a song like America's Ventura Highway, I go in delete and then apple says there is no non DRM option and i just lost the song.

Also, this would mean i have to manually do this for every song, correct? I have hundreds of these songs.

Does apple provide a step by step process for knuckleheads like myself?

Converting Pre 2009 Purchases to Remove DRM Protection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.