Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos editing and deleting from iPhoto Events folder

I have finally migrated my 21,000+ photos into Photos from iPhoto after much hesitation as I liked/loved iPhoto so much.

I am trying to understand editing and in particular editing in the folder called "iPhoto Events", which is my preferred file and way to edit photos, rather than edit an image in "Photos" at the top of the library list.

If I edit in "iPhoto Events" will it edit and delete the image in "Photos" folder?

I would also prefer to delete items this way.

Also, is there a resource link to fully understand copies, duplicates editing and how this all works in Photos? I have not found a good link so far.

Thank you!

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 6:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 12:39 AM

The folder "iPhoto Events" is holding several albums. The albums have been created from the events you had in iPhoto. But they are really albums and nothing like the events you had in iPhoto. The albums are just a way to save the collection of photos from the old event and the custom name you assigned to the event. The closest thing to the old iPhoto events you are finding in Photos are the "Moments" in Photos 4.0 on Mojave or the "Days" in Photos 5.0 on Catalina, see: Moments in Photos are the New Events - Apple Community

The albums in Photos are working similar to the albums in iPhoto. Any photo is stored just once in the library and the albums are referencing the one copy. If you edit a photo in an "iPhoto Events" album, it will be edited in the library and in all albums, that are using it. If you delete a photo with the key combination ⌘⌫ from an album, it will be deleted from the library and any album. If you just remove it from an album with ⌫, it will remain in the library and just be removed from the particular album.

Which version of Photos are you using? Your signature is showing "macOS 10.14", is that still correct or did you already upgrade to Catalina? Phots 5.0 on Catalina is very different from Photos 4.0 on Mojave, so we ned to be sure, which version you are using.

Perhaps this helps a bit to get started: New to Photos? Some Considerations on How to Design your First Photos Library

Photos 4.0 vs iPhoto 9.6.1: Features and Capatibilities

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2020 12:39 AM in response to lauraLOW

The folder "iPhoto Events" is holding several albums. The albums have been created from the events you had in iPhoto. But they are really albums and nothing like the events you had in iPhoto. The albums are just a way to save the collection of photos from the old event and the custom name you assigned to the event. The closest thing to the old iPhoto events you are finding in Photos are the "Moments" in Photos 4.0 on Mojave or the "Days" in Photos 5.0 on Catalina, see: Moments in Photos are the New Events - Apple Community

The albums in Photos are working similar to the albums in iPhoto. Any photo is stored just once in the library and the albums are referencing the one copy. If you edit a photo in an "iPhoto Events" album, it will be edited in the library and in all albums, that are using it. If you delete a photo with the key combination ⌘⌫ from an album, it will be deleted from the library and any album. If you just remove it from an album with ⌫, it will remain in the library and just be removed from the particular album.

Which version of Photos are you using? Your signature is showing "macOS 10.14", is that still correct or did you already upgrade to Catalina? Phots 5.0 on Catalina is very different from Photos 4.0 on Mojave, so we ned to be sure, which version you are using.

Perhaps this helps a bit to get started: New to Photos? Some Considerations on How to Design your First Photos Library

Photos 4.0 vs iPhoto 9.6.1: Features and Capatibilities

Jan 12, 2020 10:04 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie - thank you for your answer. I sure appreciate all your knowledge and your time to help and share that knowledge with others.

I am using Photos 4.0 and Mac Mojave 10.14.6 (unable to upgrade due to another program I use not being compliant yet).

This is definitely a learning experience and I am now working on cleaning duplicates and understanding the conversion from .jpeg to .heic before I run a duplicate cleaning app. If you have any thoughts or information to share on that, I did make another post. Thank you!

Photos editing and deleting from iPhoto Events folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.