Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HEIC photos converting to JPEG

I am wondering if there is a way to convert my iphone photos (which are shot in HEIC) to JPG as I'm putting them on my MAC instead of having to take the extra steps to convert them once they are already on my computer, then delete the duplicates. Any ideas?

I do have the latest operating systems on both my phone and my computer.

TIA!

Danielle

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 11:05 AM

abeldl1 wrote:

I am wondering if there is a way to convert my iphone photos (which are shot in HEIC) to JPG as I'm putting them on my MAC instead of having to take the extra steps to convert them once they are already on my computer, then delete the duplicates. Any ideas?

TIA!
Danielle

Photos not importing at JPG, but as HEIC - Apple Community

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2020 11:05 AM in response to abeldl1

abeldl1 wrote:

TIA!
Danielle

Photos not importing at JPG, but as HEIC - Apple Community

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Jan 29, 2020 12:19 PM in response to abeldl1

You can make a new folder where you will deposit the .heic images from your iPhone. You then create an Automator Folder Action assigned to this folder to automatically convert any image deposited into it as a .jpg.

Launch Automator from Applications folder. Choose Folder action and select the above folder that you created. Drag/Drop the following Library action to the right into the larger workflow window. Set your image type to .jpg.

Automator Library: Preview Action: Change Type of Image

When you deposit images into this folder from the iPhone, they will automatically be converted from .heic to .jpg.

For those that don't already know this, and it is undocumented, the command-line tool sips(1) can convert from .heic to other formats too.

sips -s format jpg magyar.heic --out magyar.jpg

HEIC photos converting to JPEG

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.