Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

playing movies in TV app - sound and audio get out of sync

(2017 Ipad Pro, running latest iOS)

Since iOS 13 came out, while playing movies in the TV app, after a while (15-30 minutes) the sound and video go out of sync. This gets worse as the movie progresses, going from mildly annoying to completely unwatchable. This seems to only happen with movie files that are encoded outside of itunes - that is, if I buy/rent a movie on itunes, it'll work fine with no problems, but if I get the same movie from an outside source, it'll have this problem. However, the file from the outside source will work fine in other video players on the ipad, such as VLC.

I've reported this problem via the feedback app after every update version of iOS 13 that's come out, and you'd think this would be something they'd fix immediately, but no. Is this some kind of ham handed attempt to lock in videos from itunes only, or just bad quality control?

This is a repost of an existing thread, that apple apparently locked. My update is that with version 13.3.1, this is still not fixed. Apple knows about this problem, and Could fix it if they wanted to, but apparently don't care.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 31, 2020 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2020 9:40 PM

This is the appropriate place for issues with the TV App (for whatever device it’s being used on)

Try these steps:

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2020 9:40 PM in response to sduck409

This is the appropriate place for issues with the TV App (for whatever device it’s being used on)

Try these steps:

Feb 1, 2020 8:35 AM in response to sduck409

Here's a link to the old thread, which may have more information - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250811432

And I appreciate the tip to not post files here - as the problem I have is with dvd rips of DVDs I own, perhaps it wouldn't be a good idea to post links to them publicly. If anyone needs to see one, let me know privately.

Some clarification - I like to watch tv shows and movies in the TV app - that's what it's for, after all. And it's convenient to have it all working in one app. And the TV app still works great, as long as the movie content is stuff you bought or rented from apple. However, you used to be able to play files from any source, within reason, including files ripped from DVDs, bought on amazon, privately produced, or whatever, and it would work fine. Basically if it would play in quicktime on your mac it would work in the TV app (and/or whatever it used to be called). Starting with the first beta of iOS 13, third party movies (those not bought or rented from apple) started having this audio/video sync problem. I reported it, and reverted back to iOS 12 for the duration of the beta program. When I installed the official first version of iOS 13, I was amazed that the problem was still there. So I started the thread above, and was urged to report it to apple, as it was an unknown problem, despite my having reported it earlier. So I reported it to apple. And again with each iOS update that has come out since then - maybe 3-4 of them. It still hasn't been fixed.

There are several possible scenarios - first, that I'm the only one who cares about this stuff, and it's not worth the effort to make one person happy. That's fine, I'll live. Second, that there is indeed some kind of technical limitation that's preventing them from fixing this, and/or it is indeed some kind of drop of support for certain types of files - I haven't heard about that, so don't know. Third, that it's just too low on the list of needed fixes, and they'll get around to it later. Fourth, that perhaps my reports of this got lost in the shuffle, and they just don't know it needs fixing. Fifth, that there's just something wrong with my relatively new ipad pro running the latest iOS - although none of the "fixes" I've been offered have had any effect, and the files still work fine in all other media players except the TV app.

So I appreciate any feedback, but understand that this is something I can live with - the affected files run fine in VLC, I can watch them in that. I would prefer to watch everything in one app, but can deal with this minor inconvenience.

Jan 31, 2020 9:05 PM in response to QuickPost

If you think that is an appropriate place for this, then so be it. However, I don't have an Apple TV, and this isn't about an app that runs on that device or tvOS. It is a problem on my iPad running iOS, within the TV app on that device. Perhaps there's some overlap in the developers, that having one of them seeing this problem here will spark them to go fix the problem in iOS. Maybe. Judging from what I've seen, I'm the only who has experienced this issue, and that's not enough people to get apple interested in fixing it.

playing movies in TV app - sound and audio get out of sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.