Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Popup Warnings of Malware

I got two popup warnings this morning that 'ServiceRecords' and 'ReceiverHelp' will harm my computer (MacBook Pro). These are two applications that, to the best of my knowledge, have been on the computer since it was first purchased.

Having gone through the help information associated with the warnings I moved the two identified applications to the Bin.

Are the applications required for anything? Should I delete them? What happens if I do?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 27, 2020 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2020 8:39 AM

My problem is this, I hit cancel and after I did so, the pop-up was modal and re-appeared. I cannot do anything until this pop-up goes away. Sure I can move it aside, but MacOS insists that I click on the trash button to get rid of it. SOOOO ANNOYING! If I hit CANCEL, it means I wish to cancel the pop up. It literally comes back within 4 seconds of cancelling. Apple, I own my computer, NOT YOU!

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2020 8:39 AM in response to GaryDK43

My problem is this, I hit cancel and after I did so, the pop-up was modal and re-appeared. I cannot do anything until this pop-up goes away. Sure I can move it aside, but MacOS insists that I click on the trash button to get rid of it. SOOOO ANNOYING! If I hit CANCEL, it means I wish to cancel the pop up. It literally comes back within 4 seconds of cancelling. Apple, I own my computer, NOT YOU!

Mar 8, 2020 8:19 PM in response to GaryDK43

As others on this thread have reported I too suddenly saw this pop up and was concerned. I'm fairly certain I had Citrix installed at one time and think maybe this was some left over software from that install which may now be indicated as malware (Just a hunch). That said, I was not comfortable typing my password into he dialog box when trying to move files to the trash via the UI. So I decided to use terminal instead... The files are in /usr/local/libexec (that they're in /usr/local makes sense from a user installed application). There were three files in there, ServiceRecords and ReceiverHelp being two of them. I just decided to remove all three as the third, something mac_auth like isn't something I recalled installing and isn't a service directory.

From the terminal:

cd /usr/local/libexec

sudo rm ./*

Notice the period before the slash... Then it will prompt you for your password (as sudo typically does), but will be on the command-line not in a UI. That command will delete EVERYTHING from that directory down with a prompt for y/n. If you're unsure or uncomfortable at the command-line done do this.

Mar 23, 2020 9:25 AM in response to GaryDK43

I was also getting the two incessant pop-ups referenced here. A bit of research was performed and I quickly discovered these are files associated with the Citrix Receiver. These files have been on my Mac since 2015 (it's 2020 and we are going through the whole COVID-19 pandemic). These popups started after I upgraded my Mac OS to 10.15.3 and then performed a Malwarebytes update and then performed a malware scan. Malwarebytes itself does not see these files as malware.

To eliminate the two messages, I clicked the "Show in Finder" button on the alerts and then moved the files in question to trash. The files were located in the libexec folder.

So that others can find this error via a Google search, here is the content of the messages:

"ServiceRecords.app" will damage your computer.

This file was downloaded on an unknown date.

Report malware to Apple to protect other users

"ReceiverHelper.app" will damage your computer.

This file was downloaded on an unknown date.

Report malware to Apple to protect other users

Feb 27, 2020 1:59 PM in response to GaryDK43

Did this popup come via email? If it didn't come from outside, then it was triggered by anti-malware software on the computer. macOS has built-in anti-malware software. But you stated you have none installed by you, correct? In that case I would go ahead and delete the two items. They may not be malware but they aren't part of macOS.

Feb 27, 2020 2:05 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks, Kappy. No, didn't come from email, Mail wasn't open at the time. The messages just popped up on the screen.

I do not have any additional Malware or virus software installed, so taking it that it was triggered by the macOS inbuilt program and the two were associated in some way with the old Word document I was opening.

Thanks for your advice and help.

Feb 27, 2020 3:01 PM in response to Gpc323

From the official Citrix webpage:

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-workspace-app-for-mac/install-uninstall.html

I did this today and then installed Citrix Workspace for Mac, which is Citrix's official replacement for Citrix Receiver.

EDIT: Just as a precaution, I clicked on "Show in Finder", which I then simply moved the "offending" files to the Trash Bin, which I then deleted. Afterwards, I then followed the official Citrix uninstall procedure.

Mar 2, 2020 10:20 AM in response to GaryDK43

Hi,

I had the same problem today. I have just spoke to Apple Care who shared my screen and resolved the problem really quickly and efficiently. The advisor prompted me to bin the files and then empty my bin (this required my Mac password).

As a precaution, he suggested I scan my Mac for malware. I did so using the free version of 'Malwarebytes' as he claimed it was very reliable.

I have not recently downloaded anything from the internet which strange - the advisor suggested that due to Mac security updates, the Mac may have only recently identified these files as harmful.

I hope you find this reply useful!

:-)

Feb 27, 2020 1:55 PM in response to Kappy

They came up on my screen when I turned on the computer this morning.

I went to open an old Word document via Finder, which had been transferred from the HDD of a Windows based computer, which we had got rid of after changing to Apple devices. There were no other programs running at the time. MS Word started up and the document opened. At the same time got the warning popup about the two items.

Check of the applications' information shows that they were both created in Oct 13 and last opened in Nov 14, which is about the time I got the MacBook Pro.

Feb 27, 2020 9:13 PM in response to GaryDK43

I had exactly the same problem this morning! (2 pop ups warning about 'ServiceRecords' and 'ReceiverHelp'). I was not doing anything remarkable at the time other than to observe that my network had some momentary problems and my computer restarted on its own. After it came back up, I had the two messages that I could not remove. I rebuilt my HD with TimeMachine going back to last night and the problem persisted. I also tried 2 virus detection apps and they could not find the problem. After seeing this post, I deleted the two files and restarted. Problem resolved. I was not able to uninstall Citrix Receiver (uninstall program became unresponsive) but hopefully this is not a problem.

Mar 1, 2020 5:01 AM in response to GaryDK43

Concerned because I logged in on my iMap this morning and received the same two messages, which warns they will "damage your computer". Yikes !!! The two files date back to 2014 and were transferred from my old MacBook Pro to my new iMac when I purchased it a year ago. I've not used my iMac in a week and haven't downloaded any new files recently! Happy, are you sure its safe to delete these?

Popup Warnings of Malware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.