Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update apps

I tried to update an app yesterday and keep getting a message "cannot update app...App cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID".

I have only ever had one apple ID and have never requested a refund.

I've done a quick search and it seems that the answer is uninstall and reinstall the app but that's a pretty rubbish customer service solution, is that really the only way I can get the updates?

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 1:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 2:19 AM

See I can't update apps because Apple ID doesn't match one in settings https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7633725 The Apple preferred answer given here by Michael Black is: "If ... [that app ... [was] originally purchased with that other AppleID, then you cannot update ... [it] with your AppleID. You will need to delete ... [it] and purchase ... [it] with your own AppleID. Purchases are forever tied to the AppleID used at the time of original purchase and download. They cannot be transferred to another AppleID.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2020 2:19 AM in response to originalpea

See I can't update apps because Apple ID doesn't match one in settings https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7633725 The Apple preferred answer given here by Michael Black is: "If ... [that app ... [was] originally purchased with that other AppleID, then you cannot update ... [it] with your AppleID. You will need to delete ... [it] and purchase ... [it] with your own AppleID. Purchases are forever tied to the AppleID used at the time of original purchase and download. They cannot be transferred to another AppleID.

Unable to update apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.