Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microphone from QC35 (bluetooth headset) does not work on Windows (Bootcamp)

Hello all,

I have a MB Pro 16' from 2019 running OS X Catalina and Windows 10 (Bootcamp).

My BT Headset (QC35) works ok under OS X, both audio and microphone. But on Windows the microphone is not detected, I can only use audio.

This is probably related to this issue https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250844237?page=1.

If I use a $1 USB Bluetooth adapter and disable the built-in one then windows recognizes my phone as a Headset and I can use the Mic, but I didn't want to waste a USB port with it.

Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 9:50 AM

Similar questions

52 replies

Jul 21, 2020 1:45 PM in response to Loner T

What a huge pain.

1. There are internal microphone issues where the mic becomes static-y after 20 minutes or so of usage (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microphone-issues-on-bootcamp-macbook-pro-16-inch/c8c407be-cdff-42e6-a628-fa904a2a7c6f)
  2. I can't connect any bluetooth headset microphones using the built-in bluetooth either (this thread)
  3. I can't add a bluetooth dongle to the system, because apparently it will break the built-in bluetooth semi-permanently (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250944058?page=16)

What a wild cascade of failures.

I have an audio-only bluetooth adapter for my Nintendo Switch that I am very tempted to plug in, just to see if I can connect a bluetooth headset with it - maybe being audio-only will mean it won't break the internal bluetooth adapter somehow. I'm so desperate, I just might try it...

Apr 18, 2020 5:56 PM in response to Loner T

My builtin BT just broke, cant find any device to pair in either windows or osx :/

Don't know why, already tried resetting it multiple times, resetting SMC, PRAM, nothing works.

It happened after I started using a external usab BT dongle in windows to solve the headset issue... now I can only use BT using the usb dongle :/

Apr 18, 2020 7:23 PM in response to Loner T

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 7.0.4f6

Hardware, Features, and Settings:

Name: felipes pc

Address: F8-FF-XX-20-XX-XX

Bluetooth Low Energy Supported: Yes

Handoff Supported: Yes

Instant Hot Spot Supported: Yes

Manufacturer: Broadcom

Transport: UART

Chipset: 4364B3

Firmware Version: v50 c4177

Bluetooth Power: On

Discoverable: On

Connectable: Yes

Auto Seek Pointing: On

Remote wake: On

Vendor ID: 0x05AC

Product ID: 0x0096

Bluetooth Core Spec: 5.0 (0x9)

HCI Revision: 0x1051

LMP Version: 5.0 (0x9)

LMP Subversion: 0x2032

Device Type (Major): Computer

Device Type (Complete): Mac Portable

Composite Class Of Device: 0x38010C

Device Class (Major): 0x01

Device Class (Minor): 0x03

Service Class: 0x1C0

Auto Seek Keyboard: On

Devices (Paired, Configured, etc.):

90-81-2a-dc-9b-29:

Address: 90-81-2A-DC-9B-29

Major Type: Miscellaneous

Minor Type: Unknown

Services:

Paired: No

Configured: Yes

Connected: No

Bluetooth Core Spec: 1.0b

Class of Device: 0x00 0x00 0x0000

54-33-cb-ba-de-45:

Address: 54-XX-CB-XX-DE-45

Major Type: Miscellaneous

Minor Type: Unknown

Services:

Paired: No

Configured: Yes

Connected: No

Bluetooth Core Spec: 1.0b

Class of Device: 0x00 0x00 0x0000

Services:

Bluetooth File Transfer:

Folder other devices can browse: ~/Public

When receiving items: Accept all without warning

State: Disabled

Bluetooth File Exchange:

Folder for accepted items: ~/Downloads

When other items are accepted: Save to location

When receiving items: Accept all without warning

Bluetooth Internet Sharing:

Incoming Serial Ports:

Bluetooth-Incoming-Port:

RFCOMM Channel: 3

Requires Authentication: No

I cant find any BT device, not even my airpods work anymore :/

Any way I can try to debug this and see if it's a hardware or software problem? I can't pair anything on both windows or OSX.

I thought already on formatting everything to see if it works (in the case it's software) but if it's hardware then I didn't want to go through all the hassle of reinstalling everything...

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Apr 18, 2020 10:08 PM in response to felipejfc

Read through both threads/discussions.

"updateChainPower error: -3903
2020-04-10 13:11:13 +0000 Apple80211Get(APPLE80211_IOC_BTCOEX_MODE) returned error -3903"

The BT/Wireless radio is the same device. This call looks for a BT/Wireless coexistence mode setting (Bluetooth Collaboration setting on the Network Adapter), which is internally handled on newer Macs. On older Macs (2013/2014 models), this is a manual setting, and is typically set to Auto or Enabled, typically on 7.35.x.x series drivers. The underlying issue seems to be a power management issue. Both cannot operate at full power without causing heat issues. An external BT dongle seems to be causing a power overload, instead of lowering the power of internal radios, which indicates a firmware bug.

May 1, 2020 3:27 AM in response to Loner T

Hi LonerT.. did you have any findings yet?

I'm having the same problem as OP. I can connect my airpods over bluetooth for audio, but not the mic. Have tried alot of things.. reinstalling drivers, pairing / unpairing, cold-booting windows but never got the mic working.

I'm running bootcamp on a 16 inch macbook pro.

Jul 13, 2020 3:12 PM in response to AlekKowalczyk

Is the Microphone recognized in macOS?

AlekKowalczyk wrote:

Same here - Sony WF-1000XM3 - recognized just as headphones (just music) not as headset with microphone, a very not nice suprise after buying a brand new top-spec MacBook Pro 16 for work (yup, mainly Zoom, and yes, Windows required)

Zoom/Skype/Microsoft Teams and other similar tools work in macOS. The 16-in MBP has additional issues, too.

Jul 14, 2020 9:13 AM in response to Loner T

Yes, on MacOS the Sony WF-1000XM3 is recognized, and when I go to System Preferences/Sound/Input and select it -> it looks like the microphone works since the input bar moves when I'm talking.

However in windows the Sony on my old laptop was recognized as "Sony WF-1000XM3" just for music, and "Sony WF-1000XM3 (Headset)" which works with a microphone. When using bootcamp only the former is found when connecting bluetooth - since the microphone doesn't work.

I cannot migrate to MacOS, since the full Microsoft Visual Studio is a crucial part of my workflow, and I can't use parallels because I want to use as much as possible of the power of the macbook pro.

Microphone from QC35 (bluetooth headset) does not work on Windows (Bootcamp)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.