Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IntelAccelerator driver returned kIOReturnNotReady: graphics card issue?

Hi,

I have noticed in the console of my MacBook Pro 13" late 2013 that the kernel is logging this fault every second or so:

IntelAccelerator driver returned kIOReturnNotReady for transaction [ID=2762445, IOSurfaceID=82]

IntelAccelerator previous NotReady transaction [ID=2770107, IOSurfaceID=24] sent. kr=0x0

Could that be related to my graphics card (Intel Iris) somehow failing?

I am asking this because I have started to have problem when using a Kinect V2 (with a Kinect for Windows USB adaptor) with the openKInect/libfreenect2 library: when programs (using the Processing language) accessing the depth sensor crashes after a few minutes and I know that the depth data is handled by the GPU in this library. So I am suspecting that my integrated graphics card is behaving badly...

The same Kinect sensor and programs used to work fine for hours on with this computer a few months back (not sure if the above error message was logged already though) and I have just tested it on another similar MacBook with no issue. Upgrading from Mojave to Catalina did not solve the issue. Reinstalling the libraries did not help either.

Any comment on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Thibaut

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 12:28 AM

Hi,

I did a full factory reset of my MacBook Pro this weekend.

After erasing all disks and re-installing the latest version of Catalina (10.15.3), I straight away checked the Console after logging in, before installing anything else than the fresh macOS install: the IntelAccelerator error was logging as before.

Since other users have reported that the error disappeared on a fresh install of Mojave, I conclude from this that the error is not related to any software or changes to my system, but linked to macOS, starting from one of the Mojave update (I had the same error logging under the later versions of Mojave, before installing Catalina).

The error still stops logging if I connect any of my HDMI display to the MacBook HDMI port.

Also tried to install Processing and the Open Kinect library straight after that first test, on the virgin MacBook Pro: the Kinect still becomes unresponsive after a couple of minutes, the Processing console filling up with error messages about depth information packets being lost and other libUSB errors.

If I connect an HDMI display to the MacBook, the Kinect still crashes, so it could be that the two problems are unrelated...

The logging of the IntelAccelerator driver error in the console doesn't seem to create any problem on my Mac, and since it now seems unrelated to the Kinect issue, I cannot actually observe any direct problem with this error.

If anyone here has other visible issues, try connecting an HDMI display and report whether the issue persists.

Cheers,

Thibaut

Similar questions

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2020 12:28 AM in response to Antioche

Hi,

I did a full factory reset of my MacBook Pro this weekend.

After erasing all disks and re-installing the latest version of Catalina (10.15.3), I straight away checked the Console after logging in, before installing anything else than the fresh macOS install: the IntelAccelerator error was logging as before.

Since other users have reported that the error disappeared on a fresh install of Mojave, I conclude from this that the error is not related to any software or changes to my system, but linked to macOS, starting from one of the Mojave update (I had the same error logging under the later versions of Mojave, before installing Catalina).

The error still stops logging if I connect any of my HDMI display to the MacBook HDMI port.

Also tried to install Processing and the Open Kinect library straight after that first test, on the virgin MacBook Pro: the Kinect still becomes unresponsive after a couple of minutes, the Processing console filling up with error messages about depth information packets being lost and other libUSB errors.

If I connect an HDMI display to the MacBook, the Kinect still crashes, so it could be that the two problems are unrelated...

The logging of the IntelAccelerator driver error in the console doesn't seem to create any problem on my Mac, and since it now seems unrelated to the Kinect issue, I cannot actually observe any direct problem with this error.

If anyone here has other visible issues, try connecting an HDMI display and report whether the issue persists.

Cheers,

Thibaut

May 28, 2020 12:53 AM in response to luciano2018

Hi,

After reading a blog post on Michael Tsai's blog (https://mjtsai.com/blog/2020/05/22/macos-10-15-slow-by-design/), mentioning problems with hangups due to macOS's Integrity Protection Security, I tried to boot up in Recovery Mode to disable this feature (using csrutil in Terminal) and see whether this had any effect. After doing so and rebooting, I did not see the IntelAccelerator fault anymore in the console.

Booted back again in recovery mode and re-enabled the feature (it is strongly recommended to keep that feature on, unless you have some really advance kernel debugging to do...), and rebooted again into normal mode: Still no IntelAccelerator error message!

So possibly resetting the Integrity Protection Security could be a way to fix this issue.

Now, in my haste, I forgot to check whether the fault message was still there just before doing that ISP trick, so I unfortunately cannot guarantee that this is actually a fix, but worth checking by others whether that can be reproduced by others. Note I did not upgrade my system since I last saw the error, so I assume it was still there...

Here is how to modify the Integrity Protection Security setting:

https://www.imore.com/how-turn-system-integrity-protection-macos

Note that this requires booting in recovery mode, but the scrutin also has a function to clear the existing configuration of the ISP, which maybe could do the trick without requiring the disable/enable process. Worth trying...

I haven't tried my Kinect yet after that (I don't have it available at the moment), but I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I can test it (NB: I was seeing the IntelAccelerator error message without the Kinect anyway...) . I'll let you know if I see the message again.

Good luck and report on the effect of this on your own system.

T.

Aug 25, 2020 5:07 AM in response to Antioche

I'm having the same problem ------> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251724717?login=true&page=1

Macbook freezes on Yosemite, Mojave and Catalina (I've not tried other OS yet). Normally for a few seconds but sometimes longer which can result in windowsserver crash. Issue isn't as often when using Yosemite.

This issue actually started about 2 years ago and apple couldn't tell me what the cause was. After reading your post today I tried connecting to external monitor and it works fine. IntelAccelerator error has stopped and system runs perfect. As soon as I unplug it freezes again.

From what I can gather it is the graphics card/driver causing the issue and plugging into external display either bypasses the card/driver or runs in a different mode (no issues when running in safe mode).

I'm not wondering if there is a command that can be run to change the macbook into this mode without an external monitor actually being connected.

I also thought I had issues with spotlight but I've unticked all the spotlight file searches but it has no affect. Also turned off SIP which had no affect for me.

Apr 5, 2020 12:20 AM in response to Antioche

Hello,

I have the same problem on my MacBook Pro15” 2015. I hope that there is no problem with integrated graphics, but it could be, I have no issues with graphic but it could be because of my dual GPU.

My computer also becomes a little bit hot and the power curve is irregular.

Thank everyone for comments. I believe we can solve this problem together.

Apr 8, 2020 5:14 AM in response to Antioche

Same problem on my Late 2013 13" machine.

Sometimes my machine is super unresponsive, but I'm not running any heavy programs. My console is exploding with the same messages.

I'm running 10.15.5.

Do you have software installed that is using kernel extensions. For example Virtualbox or een Logitech mouse driver?

Apr 8, 2020 6:13 AM in response to Rinkel

I have nothing installed,

I cleaned all my data and reinstalled MacOS.

The problem is definitely with integrated graphics card, because when I switch to Radeon Graphic card mistakes disappear.

My computer works properly, no lags.

But maybe the problem is caused by the MacOS and not proper drivers. I have no idea, can we wright reports directly to Apple?

Apr 8, 2020 7:53 AM in response to Batoh

I've been looking into this again and I've used the ColorSync Utility to verify and the repair the profiles. I have Adobe DC installed and 4 of the profiles had errors. I didn't have permissions to the files listed so had to add rights. I repaired again and reverified. I then removed the rights I had added. Although the process completed and indicated that it had been fixed it still reported header errors. However the errors in the console have now gone. I will continue to monitor.

Let me know if it works for you?

Apr 8, 2020 1:57 PM in response to Antioche

For what it's worth, the IntelAccelerator warnings do not occur in the console when restarting my MacBook Pro in Safe Mode, but will come back after a normal restart.

It seems anyway that the graphics card acceleration of OPENGL is not implemented in safe mode, as I am warned when running my Kinect Processing sketch while in Safe mode (sketch that consequently runs awfully slow (like 30 times slower) but does not crash, I far as I could see.

T.

Apr 13, 2020 6:46 PM in response to Antioche

Same problem discovered tonight.

OS v 10.15.3 (19D76)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

Processor 2.4GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

Graphics Intel Iris 1536 MB

A few years ago Apple let a lot of us 2013 MBP users know that there was a known problem with the graphics + logic board + something else compatibility. They recalled/replaced logic boards and upgaded the graphics card for a specific lot of users. But not all of us. For example, my serial number was outside of their scope and I was informed that my case was labeled "known problem, won't fix"

So here we are again having problems with this - and I'm wondering if Apple is going to address this or tell us "known problems, won't fix" again.

>>> fault 20:38:25.312710-0500 kernel IntelAccelerator driver returned kIOReturnNotReady for transaction [ID=30233679, IOSurfaceID=313]

This "Volatile Fault" is making me volatile and angry. LOL

May 11, 2020 12:07 AM in response to luciano2018

Hi,

Great that you got it to work again.

This problem initially occur to me while running the last version of Mojave and I upgraded to Catalina trying to fix the issue, which did not work. So it seems that the problem is not specific to Catalina...

The problem being fixable by downgrading the macOS version, however, seems to indicate that it is a software issue, rather than a hardware failure of the graphics card. So a good news, somehow...

May 11, 2020 12:52 AM in response to Antioche

Well, it was a bit more complicated though, I had to wipe everything off and then install everything again so I’m not sure what the issue was. Perhaps the graphic card driver for some reasons can be corrupted with some updates I’m not sure. It would be good if Apple could help us, before doing anything I contacted apple support and they managed to make my mbp unusable (a long story) so not very happy with the support, and they kept saying this is not an issue they are aware of so apple may never fix it

May 29, 2020 12:42 PM in response to Antioche

Ok, actually, the problem is not solved, at least not fully.

The error had disappeared, but reappeared after upgrading from macOS 10.5.4 to 10.5.5. Not sure whether the upgrade itself is the issue, but the error reappeared straight after the upgrade. Doing the csrutil trick above in Recovery Mode did only work for some time before the error came back.

Since the upgrade, I noticed that the machine can run for extensive periods of time without the error, but some events seem to trigger it back. In particular, the error stops being logged as long as I have my video projector connected on the HDMI port to extend my screen, but reappears the second I unplug it. Strange... I have not observed this behaviour with my HDMI screen as work...

Also, the issue described in my original post with my Kinect v2 crashing quickly when running a Processing (processing.org) sketch continued to happen, even after the IntelAccelerator error stopped appearing in the macOS console. So not sure whether the two issues are actually related...

Anyway, still looking for a solution. I would like to remove the "Solved" label on my previous post, but cannot find a way to do it...

Thibaut

IntelAccelerator driver returned kIOReturnNotReady: graphics card issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.