Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro Gen 2 10.5 constantly rebooting after updating from 13.3.1 to 13.4.1.

Ipad Pro gen 2 10.5 constantly rebooting after IpadOS update from 13.3.1 to 13.4.1. why?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 3:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 4:03 AM

I’ve no idea “why”, but you may find that a forced-restart may clear any isolated issues:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

335 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2020 4:03 AM in response to zobit03

I’ve no idea “why”, but you may find that a forced-restart may clear any isolated issues:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Jun 20, 2020 10:31 PM in response to MichelPM

Any other fixes for this yet? Mines been restarting for 3 months & I have it on 13.5.1 now... Tired of seeing the “Keep calling, keep messaging” replies, done that over & over. I have the 13” iPad Pro, so it’s not just the 10.5. I’ve done it all including dfu, nothing works. Apple seems to be trying to get more money out of us by throwing some garbage into the update to brick these things... They see that $599+ per person that all they have to do is load the fix on there & bam, loads of money in the bank!!!

May 17, 2020 1:25 PM in response to ssfc

There is no one here from Apple and responsible and cognizant Apple teams and employees do not monitor these communities.

These are Apple product customer/user to user technical support communities, supplied by Apple, for Apple product users to sort out their own product issues.

We are all just Apple product customers/users here. Just like you!

No one from Apple will comment here, ever!

Again, You are free and welcome to submit feedback about this issue to Apple.

This is only one of the few ways to directly contact Apple about ANY product issues.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

You can post as much feedback as you wish, as well as post multiple feedback.

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the proper and responsible Apple teams and personnel, but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

The more users that post product feedback about any product issue, the faster Apple, in California, is made aware and starts working on a fix/solution for a future software update.

Also, I suggest contacting/reaching out to Apple Product support and services on this iPad issue, as well.

Tap on the first link below and scroll down some to get to the Apple Product Support section and phone numbers for your location/region.

https://www.apple.com/contact/

OR

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Best of Luck to You!

May 19, 2020 7:10 AM in response to zobit03

Just to add my voice and show solidarity (as I have in another thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251269923?answerId=252658194022), here is what I just sent via the feedback page linked by MichelPM (by the way, thanks MichelPM):

iPad Pro 10.5" (2017) working perfectly until iOS -> 13.4.1 update ~10 May.

On first use right after the update, the device restarted (I now know from Analytics Data) after exactly 180s up-time.

Second time I realised it was a problem caused by the update and started troubleshooting.

Day 1: I tried options, up to a full factory restore - no joy.

Looked at Settings > Privacy > Analytics & Improvements > Analytics Data (based on others' experiences): my Analytics Data contains panic-full... .ips and stacks+thermalmonitord... .ips error reports matching the restart times.

Day 2: I chatted online with Apple support - no joy, ultimately defaulting to: "This is a hardware issue..."

There may be a hardware fault, but affected devices worked until the 13.4.1 update!

May 28, 2020 11:48 PM in response to IpadPro-10celluar

You will NOT receive ANY replies from ANY of the Apple feedback pages.

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the proper and responsible Apple teams and personnel, but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

The more users that post product feedback about any product issue, the faster Apple, in California, is made aware and starts working on a fix/solution for a future software update.

If no one posts feedback to Apple, Apple will have NO clue that there are any types of issues with their hardware or software products!

Also, I STRONGLY recommend actually calling/contacting/reaching out to Apple Product support and services.

Tap on the first link below and scroll down some to get to the Apple Product Support section and phone numbers for your location/region.

OR

DO NOT USE THE CHAT OPTION!

If you need to, if initial 1st tier Apple customer support is of no help to you, you can calmly ask to have this issue escalated up to more responsible, senior Apple customer support employees to see if they can come up with a more amiable/amenable solution to this iPad boot loop issue, but I make no guarantees, whatsoever.

Even if no acceptable resolution, Apple, AT LEAST, logs all support calls and product issues.

Best of Luck to You!

Jun 12, 2020 3:30 PM in response to mratmeyer

Once again,

You are free and welcome to submit feedback about this issue to Apple.

This is only one of the few ways to directly contact Apple about ANY product issues.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

If no one posts feedback to Apple, Apple will have NO clue that there are any types of issues with their hardware or software products!

Also, I STRONGLY suggest contacting/reaching out to Apple Product support and services.

OR

If you need to, if initial 1st tier Apple customer support is of no help to you, you can calmly ask to have this issue escalated up to more responsible, senior Apple customer support employees to see if they can come up with a more amiable/amenable solution to this iPad boot loop issue, but I make no guarantees, whatsoever, on a favorable outcome.

Even if no acceptable resolution, Apple, AT LEAST, logs all support calls and issues.

Best of Luck to You!

Jul 23, 2020 9:16 AM in response to CindyRaeC

I'm on Public Beta 2 through https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

and that's worked for me - it wasn't working two days ago, but seems something has changed even with Beta 2 at the release of Beta 3.

Make sure to turn on 'Share iPad Analytics' in Settings -> Privacy if you're comfortable sharing your data to help the engineers diagnose what's wrong.

Click into 'Analytics Data' and see if you have 'panic-full' logs. Click into them and check after the "panicString," what kind of error follows?

Jul 28, 2020 8:37 PM in response to ANDROID FUTURE CUSTOMER? MAYBE

Also to further reinforce my proposition above, mostly only those with some window of access to their devices are able to review their panic logs or even go in and turn their analytics on to send them to Apple for review -- those with 3 minute 'thermalmonitor' errors. Any others with more prevalent bootloops unable to pass the Apple logo would not even have access to their panic logs without going through unreasonable bypass methods, if possible.

For those of you who are still bootlooping, if you are able to access you device at all, I would encourage you to go into "Settings -> Privacy -> Analytics & Improvements" and turn on your 'Share iPad Analytics' for Apple engineers to review. Additionally if you are comfortable sharing your data here, below 'Share iPad Analytics' click into 'Analytics Data' and find your 'panic-full' logs. A date should be included in its title. Only share data from panic logs pre-dating any updating to unofficial software (ie. only logs from iOS 13.4.1 - 13.6), you can see this info after the line "build" : (ie. "iPhone OS 13.6 "). Only of relevance at this point I think is data up to the line "panicString" and the 'Error' message that comes after it.

And to reiterate what has been posted here relentlessly, post and post and keep on reporting your experience to actual Apple employees at https://www.apple.com/feedback/

May 20, 2020 6:59 PM in response to PaulDorn

Hi PaulDorn. I encountered this problem again and I leave my opinion about this.

Recently, I initialized my iPad to sell it because I thought that this problem was solved perfectly. But I was wrong.

• Initializing iPad occurs this problem again.
  • Updating iPad occurs this problem again. (Actually, I tried to update my iPad to 13.5 today, and the problem is happened again.)

From my recent experience,

• This problem cannot be solved completely by squeezing iPad.
  • When iPad is initialized or updated, iPad performs some check routines (e.g., devices's healthy). If the routine is failed, iPad does reboot and tries it again.
  • I think that the check routine occurring reboot is performed only one time. The squeezing iPad is a way to bypass the routine.
  • So... I think that my iPad has a hardware problem where is in the logic board.

[My opinion]

If you do not want to see the problem again, you do not update, or initialize iPad. Honestly, I will update my pad again as I can avoid the check routine by the squeezing. HaHa..

Bye!

Nov 1, 2020 11:45 PM in response to zobit03

Hello. I'm "I have This Question Too" # 180. (Apple, if youre reading this, please take note of the Number of people with the same issues)

My Device: Ipad Pro 12.9 1st gen

Same story as others...updated to 13.4, reboots after 3 mins.

Researched and Googled for MONTHS (intermittently, as Ive Raged Quit several times...good thing I still have a backup iPad i can use as this iPad Pro is effectively a brick now)

Spent HOURS trying to fix it, like most people here did:

• Reset
  • Restore (diff ways.. from Backup, Factory reset, DFU, from device OTA, from iTunes)
  • Tried 14 beta (forgot which build no)
  • updated to official 13.7, 14.0, 14.01, and now latest 14.1 ...still Reboots every 3 mins

I Searched and posted on diff forums, saw many other folks with the same issue (mostly on iPad Pros).

Finally found a tip to check Analytics... saw a bunch of "ThermalTempd" errors...

I Googled "ThermalTemoD" and found my way to a similar discussions.apple.com thread, posted there, and read about this thread, and now Im here :)

Want to add my voice to the many (like I noted, im # 180 in the growing list of people) who have this issue.

Also would like to share my own experience to add to the mix.. and maybe ask you guys if you have similar results.

My Experience and "3D Hack":

• When iPad reboots , I run the clock Timer and it will almost always reboot BEFORE it reaches 3 minutes (2 min+, like 2:40-2:50+ . It passed the 3 min mark only a couple of times before rebooting.

Anyone also do this "Timer Test"? Also, just curious..are your "3 minutes" experience an EXACT rule of 180 seconds? (it would make sense if its triggered by a timer) or just a rough estimate? Maybe i have a few seconds delay in setting up and activating the timer. IDK....

• I set the screen timer off to 15 min so screen wont black out, and just let it sit idly...still reboots within 3 minutes while doing absolutely nothing.

-So even doing absolutely NOTHING, or just a simple Timer, it will reboot.

• "my 3D hack" - in one of my many "experiments", I downloaded 3DMark Benchmark (SlingShot) on the iPad and ran it. It runs 3D modeling benchmarks for 4 mins. IPad didnt reboot! When Test was done, I ran it again. I kept doing this several times for a total running time of over 30 mins and not once did the iPad reboot.. So apparently when its doing "heavy lifting" of 3D graphics processing, it wont crash...but sitting idly by it will. (One would think the opposite would happen)

3D Graphics rendering makes the iPad hotter...so my observation is that when its running hot, its stable? And the error code for the crashes is called "THERMALMONITOd"? Somehow I think its related?

Would be helpful if some of you guys can try this out to see if you get similar results...

Because of the "Reboots every 3 min" issue, I couldn't download large files from the App Store, let alone the OTA update, because the downloads needs longer than 3 minutes. (my Internet isn't that fast) I was able to get around it by running the 3DMark app over and over again while things download in the background. Might help some of the folks here where Ive read they had problems downloading because of the Reboots. Please Try it and see if this "hack" will work on you too.

Conclusion: There are SO many of us here that experienced the ff:

• reboots every 3 minutes after updating to 13.4 and above
  • have the "thermaltempd" error log

for it to be a coincidence that all of us have this same "hardware" issues. WHY ISNT APPLE LISTENING??? And What can we do about it?

Jun 22, 2020 4:39 AM in response to lukeoneill90

I politely but firmly kept stating that this fault occurred at the time of the update. I also referenced this thread, I referenced the Forbes and Apple Insider articles on the same issue. I also made sure that they knew the reboot loop didn't happen when the screen was locked. My ipad will quite happily stay on for hours if I don't unlock the screen. That confuses even the engineers! When on the phone and in store I explicitly stated that I was invoking my consumer rights as per the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (this must be done at the store you purchased from), that electrical goods must be fit for purpose for up to 6 years and that from the research I had done, tech experts conclude that any product purchased from Apple after 2013 should have a working life of at least 3yrs 4months. Keep putting the onus back on them to prove it isn't a fault caused by the update. They should waive the service fee. They did nothing in store for me but I do believe invoking my rights in store and having that logged on the system (book a genius bar appt online) helped me when I spoke to them over the phone again. You'll need to have the call escalated in order to do that but if you remain polite but firm it will help you eventually. Keep calling until you end up speaking with somebody more sympathetic. I had to sprak with some proper arsehole supervisors and then the last guy I was put through to was such a gent and authorised the free service immediately. Good luck!!

Jul 22, 2020 11:09 PM in response to mehdichopin

Oh my... APPLE NINJAS!

Thank you so much @mehdichopin for your post!

I had upgrade to iPadOs 14 Public Beta 2 two days ago and that did nothing to resolve the issue and downgraded back to 13.6 after chatting with Apple Support. I was feeling so hopeless after even bringing the device into Genius Bar and having them wave me off with 'hardware issue, replacement, replacement.'

I just reinstalled Public Beta 2 (Beta 3 isn't available to me) after your post and... NO MORE BOOTLOOPS! I've since taken my iPad out of the fridge and have shakening it this way and that and still no bootloops or panic logs! Magic! Seems like some sort of rogue update has stabilized the issue currently, but I will likewise report back if this is only a short-lived celebration.

-------------

If anyone is stuck with reboots so prevalent that you can't even update, see if cooling your device in the fridge momentarily stops the bootloops long enough for you to update. If that is not enough, compress your potential problem areas lightly (I suspect my issue is a loose contact problem, my panic logs pointed to an 'ACMM error' and a 'Fatal Coherency Point Error,' so pushing around the top of the iPad allowed me to pass the kernal checks to stop the boot looping).

*I initially squeezed the circled area with both palms, but found that clipping the top while in the fridge worked well enough.

*And thank you with a magnitude of a thousand suns if there are any Apple Ninjas reading this that implemented the change!

iPad Pro Gen 2 10.5 constantly rebooting after updating from 13.3.1 to 13.4.1.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.