Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari letter "a" capitalisation issue

I have a very strange issue where my MacBook refuses to type a capital letter "a" in Safari with pressing Shift or using Caps lock. Although (I got this wright because of the Touch Bar) I don't face this issue in any other program or browser.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 9:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 10:48 PM

Zabatas Said:

"Safari letter "a" capitalisation issue: I have a very strange issue where my MacBook refuses to type a capital letter "a" in Safari with pressing Shift or using Caps lock. Although (I got this wright because of the Touch Bar) I don't face this issue in any other program or browser."

-------

Start Here:

I. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for the keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset both on your Mac, so that they operate as intended.

II. Clear your Temporary Internet Files (Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

• Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data.
  • Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.

Use this Link: Clearing History and Cache - Apple Communities

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2020 10:48 PM in response to Zabatas

Zabatas Said:

"Safari letter "a" capitalisation issue: I have a very strange issue where my MacBook refuses to type a capital letter "a" in Safari with pressing Shift or using Caps lock. Although (I got this wright because of the Touch Bar) I don't face this issue in any other program or browser."

-------

Start Here:

I. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for the keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset both on your Mac, so that they operate as intended.

II. Clear your Temporary Internet Files (Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

• Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data.
  • Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.

Use this Link: Clearing History and Cache - Apple Communities

May 26, 2020 6:54 PM in response to Zabatas

Zabatas Said:

"Safari letter 'a' capitalisation issue: I have a very strange issue where my MacBook refuses to type a capital letter "a" in Safari with pressing Shift or using Caps lock. Although (I got this wright because of the Touch Bar) I don't face this issue in any other program or browser. [...]Could you please suggest any other solution to this issue?"

-------

Report this as a Bug to Apple:

Inform Apple of this bug. They will not get back to directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is going on, and what needs to be fixed. Their developers will look into it, and will more likely create a fix for it in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - Safari - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "feedback type"
  3. Proceed from there as necessary.

May 26, 2020 6:55 PM in response to Zabatas

Zabatas Said:

"Safari letter 'a' capitalisation issue: I am sorry, but none of these tips actually work for me: [...]Could you please suggest any other solution to this issue?"

-------

Try a New Browser:

You are using Safari, correct? Download and use Mozilla Firefox, from the App Store. It is its own Web browser. Do you get the error in that? Safari is built into the macOS - so it cannot be uninstalled, and then reinstalled. So, to fix this bug in Safari, reinstall the macOS.

Reinstall the Mac OS, but Back Up First:

Perform a reinstall. Nothing would be lost. It’s just that missing system files and corrupt settings, would be reinstalled and repaired, respectively.

How to:

1. Reinstall the macOS:

First, Back up your Mac with Time Machine

Then....

2. Reinstall the MacOS.

Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support. Boot holding: [Command + R], as mentioned in the link.

If that is of no success, then it is a hardware issue.

May 26, 2020 6:49 PM in response to Zabatas

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account    

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Etrecheck – System Information.      

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

May 26, 2020 5:46 PM in response to TheLittles

I am sorry, but none of these tips actually work for me. I followed each of the steps carefully and repeated multiple times. The funny thing is that I can use capital letter "a" using Shift or Caps Lock when writing in the address bar of Safari, but cannot use it when writing in a website of any kind.

Could you please suggest any other solution to this issue?

Safari letter "a" capitalisation issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.