Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime and iMessage sign in trouble. This account has no reachable address?

I'm unable to sign into FaceTime and iMessage on my mac and being repeatedly hit with the following message:

"This account has no reachable address. Please sign into appleid.apple.com in order to add one"

I have tried all the usual solutions of signing out of the device multiple times, removing the mac from my devices and adding it again, updated macOS (now on Catalina, 10.15.4), restarted it multiple times but still running into this wall.

My iPhone and iPad seem to be working fine all the while but MacBook always has these issues.

Can someone help me out here? The whole reason of investing this much money into the stupid walled garden was expecting some sort of reliable handoffs between devices and seems like that's too much to expect!

MacBook Pro 13", 10.15

Posted on May 5, 2020 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2020 10:33 AM

See these ACS discussions for possible Catalina-related solutions:

Cannot Connect to FaceTime https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250645797 and

face time claims no reachable addresses https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251050999

4 replies

Jun 18, 2020 10:42 PM in response to sk_from_norcal

I think I was able to resolve this with some hints from replies here. The problem seems to be related to Keychain Access. None of the other solutions worked. I think I had duplicate entries in my Keychain Access (Total of 5 Keychains namely my_name, login, iCloud, System and System Roots). I removed the keychain (my_name) and everything seemed to work.

I have no clue why this was not an issue before and why it worked. My guess is that Catalina cannot handle FaceTime/Messages using keychains in multiple places.

For more clarity- I opened Keychain Access -> Top left shows all keychains -> secondary click on duplicate keychain (in my case it was named my_name -> Delete keychain "my_name".

Afterwards when I opened messages and FaceTime it asked for my system login password (with a message "accountsd" needs password blah blah) a couple times and it functioned as expected from there on. No restart required.

If you do not have duplicate keychains, maybe copy over the "login" keychain to a different name and try this method. I am not sure how safe this route will be.

Good luck!

FaceTime and iMessage sign in trouble. This account has no reachable address?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.