Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoneSE 2020 - Battery Life

Recently took delivery of a new iPhone SE 2020 - 256Gb - I have been using 2 x iPhone SEs since 2016 and had not bought a phone since.

The battery life is absolutely appalling .. so bad that I am likely to return the phone and seek a complete refund.

The battery percentage drops constantly during the day with very little use - I have slimmed down as much as I can all the power saving areas and use the phone only for email, internet surfing and text messages.. still the battery life is very weak.

The thing that has making me pretty much consider returning it and seeking a complete refund worst thing is that I charged it last night fully to 100% around 1.00am and left it on my desk. This morning at 9.00am it is down to 62%..

All the reviews about the phone rave about its performance but flag as defect its battery life... so I was forewarned but this bad makes it unusable as a phone personally speaking

Any other experiences or comments?

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on May 9, 2020 1:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 1:58 AM

Hi, relatively new to this forum.

Bought an iPhone SE 2020 as soon as it was released, was waiting for this phone to come out for a long time. Very excited to receive it but noticed straight out of the box (during data transfer/setup) that the battery drained noticeably faster than my former Moto G5 plus.

Except for the battery draining during the night I am experiencing very similar issues with my iPhone. Every time I use the phone for a short period of time (for a message, checking one email, browsing a site) the percentage consistently drops. Literally sending two messages always takes at least 1% battery, a phone call of <5 minutes will take at least the same, if not more. Youtube, FaceTime absolutely drain the battery. My girlfriend has a 1st generation iPhone SE that might even outlast this brand new phone, although i haven't actually tested this.

Looking around on this forum I quickly found several similar posts from people having the same issue:

I'm going to compare the battery life of my girlfriend's phone to mine. If the old SE outlasts the new one, tech reviewers should be notified. The Verge explicitly says this phone has good battery life, which it does not.

Thinking of explanations:

• I noticed several threads about battery drain in other types of iPhones since the iOS 13.4 update.
  • The battery is of course small compared to many other phones, but i'm not aware of iPhone 8 users having this issue. (truth be told, I don't know a lot of iPhone 8 owners)
  • Could the A13 simply be too power-hungry for a battery this size?
  • ....?

Similar questions

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2020 1:58 AM in response to musicspirit

Hi, relatively new to this forum.

Bought an iPhone SE 2020 as soon as it was released, was waiting for this phone to come out for a long time. Very excited to receive it but noticed straight out of the box (during data transfer/setup) that the battery drained noticeably faster than my former Moto G5 plus.

Except for the battery draining during the night I am experiencing very similar issues with my iPhone. Every time I use the phone for a short period of time (for a message, checking one email, browsing a site) the percentage consistently drops. Literally sending two messages always takes at least 1% battery, a phone call of <5 minutes will take at least the same, if not more. Youtube, FaceTime absolutely drain the battery. My girlfriend has a 1st generation iPhone SE that might even outlast this brand new phone, although i haven't actually tested this.

Looking around on this forum I quickly found several similar posts from people having the same issue:

I'm going to compare the battery life of my girlfriend's phone to mine. If the old SE outlasts the new one, tech reviewers should be notified. The Verge explicitly says this phone has good battery life, which it does not.

Thinking of explanations:

• I noticed several threads about battery drain in other types of iPhones since the iOS 13.4 update.
  • The battery is of course small compared to many other phones, but i'm not aware of iPhone 8 users having this issue. (truth be told, I don't know a lot of iPhone 8 owners)
  • Could the A13 simply be too power-hungry for a battery this size?
  • ....?

Aug 4, 2020 8:18 AM in response to HoggBear

• As I stated in my original post, I returned my SE within 2 days due to inadequate battery life. Apple support is excellent, but not when I tried to resolve this issue. I was on line for over 45 minutes, losing 1% of battery power for every 2 minutes on a normal phone call. I was transferred several times and ended up speaking with a supervisor who wanted me to drive 20 miles to the Micro Center computer store(since all local apple stores were closed) to have them analyze the problem. I could tell from their response that they had no clue how to resolve the issue. Worst case of Apple support we have ever had with normally excellent service from Apple. If you want the SE, buy a battery case, because you will need it. We are waiting for the iPhone 12 and hope Apple doesn't have major issues with it. All service providers have suffered personnel issues since Covid-19, but this is a hardware/software issue that should have stopped Apple from releasing this phone. Shame on Apple management for the 'dieselgate (VW)" issue. When we purchased phones at the Apple store, we had a 30 day return window. This Apple online purchase only had a 14 day return window. That indicates they knew of an issue before releasing the phone. We will stay with Apple, but this has given them a back eye!

May 20, 2020 5:51 AM in response to Deutscherbob

Haven’t been able to compare my gf’s old SE to mine yet, but still noticing rapid drains. Was hoping it would maybe “settle” in (no idea why) after a while, but nothing like that. For example: started the day with 97 % battery this morning at 7.30 am. 30 minute Safari Bluetooth audio stream in the train (no video) this morning and otherwise light usage and i’m down to 58% at 2.30pm.

I don’t see how Apple expects this phone to hit 13h screen time of video streaming if this kind of light app usage takes 40% battery in 90 minutes screen time. It just doesn’t add up. I want to like this phone, but after waiting years for it to release even I am considering returning it. Because I still remember battery life on my 3y old Android phone recently and even my old SE from years ago being better than this brand new one.

Screenshots provided below. Will try to test old SE vs this one this weekend.

Aug 1, 2020 2:18 PM in response to fastchipwithbadbattery

Thanks to all who have replied to this thread - I have held onto my iPhone SE2020 - having spent all the time switching over my content from the old phone, and backing up to iCloud etc it is just too much hassle to send it back. This table from Tom's Guide ( google iPhone SE 2020 battery life) explains it all - the size of the battery is inadequate completely for the size of the phone combined with the amount of processing power that Apple have packed into it. That is the simple reason that it cannot compete with bigger heavier more expensive Apple iPhones - or slower less powerful older ones.

The behaviour that the phone seems to exhibit for everyone, judging by threads etc.. is that it takes a while to settle into a routine of not losing charge catastrophically. I think Apple have been caught between a rock and a hard place... in the sense that they did their best to make a budget high powered phone which would appeal to those of us who loved the old iPhone SE... and we were seduced! But there needs to be some official explanation of how they could have brought out such an imbalanced phone.

It is simply not OK to bring out a new phone that has this kind of problem - even when it has settled down, the short time between charges, ie that it wont last more than a day even on minimal usage - is still a major flaw in the phone. And spoils it as a useful reliable tool compared with previous great iPhones - and more expensive ones such as the iPhone 11.

One hopes that the sophistication of iOS updates might improve things - but somehow I think those of us who bought this phone are stuck with it...

And I am speaking as someone who hardly ever watcheds Youtube or videos on my phone, uses it mainly to check email while away from my desktop, read text messages, uses the camera minimally most of the time, make minimal calls, look up infor on google, read the newspaer online and check news... -

My Screentime average is never more than 3-4 hours a day that is mostly spent reading ( mail, safari, texts, very few phone calls) - and it is still down to 20% by the early evening.. this is not a phone that you could rely on if you were working full time in business ( I am self employed and my job does not involve using my phone much).

May 10, 2020 2:42 AM in response to LaurensBE

Thanks for your reply and all the links - very disappointing but very helpful.

Youtube videos show that the battery is exactly the same size as the iPhone 8 - the A13 processor must indeed be power hungry problem.

I have been taking timing tests by doing screen shots - and here's the latest from:

last night fully charged at 00.42am - shows 99%

this morning at 08.50am (no use at all during the night, iCloud backup switch OFF) - 63%

May 19, 2020 10:19 PM in response to musicspirit

I purchased the iphone SE 2020 to replace my wife's Iphone8. When she started using the SE, the battery would rapidly decrease. On voice calls the drain would be 1% every 2 minutes. Video/Facetime use caused rapid battery drain and heat. While on the phone with Apple, the drain continued and they had no answer for the issue. I returned the phone and was shocked to discover there is only a 14 day return window for it. The SE was only marginally faster than the 8, so there must be a "bug" in these phones. My wife has been with Apple since the 4 and this is the first issue that Apple could not resolve. I ordered the phone April 21st and it did not arrive until the second week of May. It came from China, through US Customs to Kentucky and then to us. We will be glad when the Apple stores near us open again. Will consider purchasing the SE once these issues have been resolved.

May 29, 2020 5:40 AM in response to musicspirit

I took delivery of the new iPhone SE on 4th May 2020.

At 11:08am AEST today I had 100% charge. Currently its 22:24pm AEST, I have 60% Charge left. I didn't use the iPhone SE at all (no calls -no app usage -NOTHING!) Im currently using my other iPhone (7 Plus). I didn't trade in my iPhone 7 Pus (which seems to have twice the battery life)

MY first iPhone was a iPhone 5 (2012) which Apple Australia replaced in (2014) (Apple iPhone battery replacement program)

It seems like history is repeating itself.

NOT HAPPY!

Aug 4, 2020 7:20 AM in response to musicspirit

I am shocked at the poor level of battery life on the phone. I have followed others suggestions of minimising locations, notifications etc etc.

What I am exceptionally concerned about is Apple's reluctance (despite overwhelming feedback) to respond to any comments. Where is their support? Customers are having widespread issues and they have done nothing to support?

Literally had my phone since yesterday and want to move back to my Android device. I moved from Apple as I was concerned about the ever rising price for new handsets without offering a better product. I move back to Apple seeing all the promises of a great battery power and I feel this transaction to be fraudulent. I do not use this term lightly. Their advert clearly states 13 hours of video, great battery power, but its the worst I have ever experienced with any phone.

Thoroughly disappointed, thoroughly unimpressed and worst of all Apple have no intention of doing anything.

Aug 4, 2020 9:54 AM in response to HoggBear

these are really good points thanks:

1/Apple have not officially recognised that there is a major issue with this phone

2/it does not give the battery life that has been advertised.

… I am actually quite sympathetic to them in one way, not that I'm going to give up putting pressure – but that they have a genuine problem that they did not foresee and are not quite sure how to deal with it.

Personally I'd be very happy with a compensation payment… But then that would probably kill their sales if they admitted this problem completely so they have to be really careful how they deal with it and perhaps they don't have the answer yet…

Aug 10, 2020 1:23 AM in response to musicspirit

Hey Dude. I might be late. But I just got this iphone SE 2020 in 21st July 2020, and it was alright at first but come till date the battery is decreasing fast 1% drop when I am scolrring through facebook and Instagram and when I am on WeChat voice calls. The battery percentage just drops 1% by every 2 minutees... When charging it takes 1 hour to charge from 68% to 99%. Gets warm behind when using Facebook or Instagram. Please help, much advice appreciated.

Sep 8, 2020 5:01 AM in response to musicspirit

I have recently experienced rapid battery drain to the point where the phone is completely dead. I bought my iPhone SE in May brand new. Very disappointed with this in such a new phone - it seems to be when the battery goes below a certain point (could be about 40% - which I consider pretty high) and next thing the phone will be dead.

I am considering sending the phone back, what would anyone advise?

My old iphone 5 could go right down to single figures in battery percentage and still function!

iPhoneSE 2020 - Battery Life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.