Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 13.5 battery drains!!

Iphone 6s is badly effected by IOS 13.5, have same bug for battery drain problem!!

Nothing improve in this IOS for battery issue.

Apple should consider this issue for batteries..

Posted on May 23, 2020 7:24 AM

79 replies

Jul 28, 2020 10:51 PM in response to randi126

At least you proved 13.5 was not the problem. Something on your phone is.

The next step would be to restore your device, and setup the device without restoring a backup, to see if the issue is replicated. I would first make sure you have a backup so your data is saved.

Here is a guide for those steps:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings and see how it goes

If no improvement arrange for repair or replace

If it works well restore from backup but be prepared to wipe again without restore from backup. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204184

May 28, 2020 11:34 AM in response to himank1992

OK. So for all people who have the same issue. There is quite simple resolution. You MUST install the system via iTunes from the IPSW files. After just restore the backup from icloud and the issue should be fixed.

Download IPSW for Your device. You could do that from apple developer account or from https://ipsw.me

Installation of IPSW:

1. Connect your iPhone or iOS device to your PC/MAC via lightning cable.
  2. Open iTunes and select Your phone.
  3. On a Mac, press and hold down the “Option” key and then click on “Update”
  4. On a Windows PC, press and hold down the “SHIFT” key and then click on “Update”
  5. Select the IPSW file (for Your device) that you downloaded and click “Choose”
  6. Let the iOS device update as usual.

Jul 30, 2020 2:55 AM in response to LD150

My battery is still 96% of maximum capacity. It may have started aging but not that bad. I’d say it’s the result of multiple causes:

1. A possible bug in iOS “background processing” that global disable/enable doesn’t actually affect individual apps. It happens on my other phones and iPads.
  2. Other unknown OS related bug that keeps network accessing. Set to Flight significantly reduced battery drain.
  3. New “Smart charging” that won’t charge battery to full when plugged overnight, so it dropped from 100% to 99% much faster than before.
  4. Inaccurate battery % presentation that mislead people to think that the phone has 90% charge, but in fact it’s already dropped to 86%. This is the only viable explanation why my battery dropped 6% in 1 minutes.

Jul 30, 2020 7:12 AM in response to Richard Liu2

Hey folks - just to provide some findings (not entirely scientific, but from a household that has iPhone 6s, 8, 8 Plus, 11, and 11 Pro Max). We've previously had an iPhone 7 (whose battery was pretty bad) and iPhone Xs (whose battery was awful - we had it replaced twice before rage-trading it in on an 11 last year).

Disclaimer - my kids and wife love to keep brightness at 80-100%, which clearly doesn't help battery. [facepalm]

Second disclaimer - no cellular - we're 100% WiFi even in our 4G-enabled car (cellular is known to nuke batteries on older iPhones - including the aforementioned Xs)

For this thread, I'll focus on the 8, 8 Plus, and 6s battery life.

1. Last week, my daughter switched from the 8 Plus (100% battery of new) to the 6s (94% battery of new). Why? It's smaller (fits in her hand), has a headphone jack (this has become a major issue with the 8 and newer), and it has a dog photo on the case.
  2. The last three days, she's been using it for 3-4 hours.
  3. USAGE - purely watching YouTube Kids (like 99% of usage), she burned 48% of battery (from 100% > 52%) in 2 hours, 57 minutes. This equates to nearly six hours of video watch time. (I know Apple claimed 10+ hours of HD video when new, but I've never come close to seeing that)
  4. USAGE 2 - when going lighter - text messages/iMessage, Safari, etc. - she gets about 8-9 hours of estimated usage.
  5. I can't confirm what the total usage time will be - i.e. will the phone just die/shut off at 10%? 20%? I don't know.
  6. My son uses the regular iPhone 8. He's getting an estimated 5-7 hours usage (video + FaceTime), with 86% battery of new. NOTE - in the first 18 months (2017 > 2019), the battery of new went from 100% > 88%. So by disabling cellular, and using basically as an iPod++, it puts less strain on the battery.
  7. The iPhone 8 Plus is still very, very good. My first one (of three - it was stolen) got an estimated 16-18 hours - as a cellular device/phone. My second one (global unlocked) got 12-13 hours on iOS 11 and 12, and eroded to about 10-11 hours on iOS 13. The third one (warranty replacement) is back to 13-14 hours on iOS 13.6 - as a NON-cellular device. I've proven that this week.

May 28, 2020 8:07 AM in response to himank1992

This is the current battery roller-coaster I am on with my 6s and iOS 13.5. I have Background App Refresh 'off' (always have) and some apps are creating havoc. The only way to stop the apps from background activity is to force kill them. This is after a fresh restore of 13.5 too. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thx

May 31, 2020 9:52 AM in response to Richard Liu2

My 6s is draining as well on iOS 13.5, it has a battery with 91% health and I can barely squeeze out 3 1/2 hours of light usage before it's in the 10% area.

-push notifications off

-location off

-Apple ID/iCloud logged out

-app refresh off

with all that stuff off I get a little better maybe pushing 4 hours but I noticed when I was logged into Apple ID/iCloud it was draining while using and I mean not 98,97,96 it was skipping from 94 to 88 etc.

May 30, 2020 10:17 PM in response to beliar_ttl

Tried. Didn’t work. Battery still drain for 20% in 10 minutes.

All app closed and screen locked. Background refresh disabled. Cellular signal is full. Lower power mode enabled. “Hey SIRI” and pickup-activate all disabled.

All these advises are only useful to save energy under normal circumstances. Draining 20% in 10 minutes without any usage is definitely ABNORMAL.

May 31, 2020 6:55 AM in response to Richard Liu2

I’ve noticed several things after loading the new update - I have full WiFi but I get that there is no internet connection at times - apps load very slowly - battery drains 20% in 15 minutes with all apps shut off (nothing running in background) - screens freeze especially in mail when I try to delete items - takes over 8 seconds to remove the item - in mail when I click on delete sometimes nothing happens. My battery doesn’t last longer than 5 hours at BEST if I don’t use the phone at all!

May 31, 2020 9:12 AM in response to lindros2

I don’t think apps are the source this time. Because I didn’t launch any app excepts for Safari, mail and maps after reboot, and still get 20% battery drain in 10 minutes.

I suspect the culprit is Location Service, that this symptom happens after I launched Maps for 3 minutes or so. I shut off Maps.app before I lock screen and put it back in my pocket, and 10 minutes later the battery dropped from 95% to 75%. I don’t have any other apps running in the background.

IOS 13.5 battery drains!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.