Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail crashes

I am getting frequent crashes with Mail on my iMac. I cannot see an obvious pattern to them. I have updated the iMac with release 13.1.

Is this a known problem ? If so, any suggestions on resolution ?

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 4:03 PM

8 replies

Jul 15, 2020 12:57 PM in response to neilrpasc

Well lets start with the obvious, please do the following.

Please navigate to the Mac App Store and download the free version of EtreCheck OR please click www.EtreCheck.com where you will find the app. Once you have downloaded the free app and created the report please post it as your reply to this message. In order to post it, please use the following link for more detailed instructions on how to correctly include the results: 

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

We can then look for obvious issues that may be causing your problem.

Jul 21, 2020 10:22 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for your last reply.

Have removed CleanMyMac and f-secure (and disabled Trusteer). But Mail is still crashing, I'm afraid. Mail Trash clearance almost always triggers a crash.

Latest Etrecheck report attached (crashes also appear under minor issues).

I have seen a comment on another forum thread that suggests there might be an issue between iCloud accounts and High Sierra (and older macOSs) - and things could be better with Catalina. However, as you can see from the minor issues, I have some 32 bit apps that seemingly won't run on Catalina. And I am not keen to switch off my iCloud mail account.

So maybe I have to live with it, but any further ideas would be welcome.

Appreciate your time and attention.

Jul 15, 2020 12:33 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Many thanks for the reply, but neither of these has resolved the problem. I am still getting crash-outs from Mail. I have an iMac and a Mac Pro, and both are having exactly the same problem. Both are using High Sierra updated to 13.1.1. There is no set pattern to the crashes. They can occur when posts are being composed (when the content is automatically saved), or when posts are sent, or (very frequently) when Mail trash is being cleared.

The fact that both machines are affected suggests that this is not machine-specific, but is more likely some software issue relating to Mail. I have three email accounts (with Apple, eclipse and yahoo), but the occurrences don't seem to point to any particular one. I get an error report each time, with an option to send this to Apple. Whenever I have sent these reports, I don't seem to get any reply. Attached below is the header area from the latest report.

I gather from other forums that I am not the only Mac user getting this problem, but no one seems to have found an answer.

Is there a possible issue here with Apple software ?

Jul 21, 2020 12:19 PM in response to neilrpasc

The report indicates the computer has inadequate RAM, you have never upgraded the RAM however you upgraded Mac OS. Newer versions of Mac OS use more RAM than older versions. I would start by buying an additional 16GB of RAM from Crucial.com or Macsales.com. Buy then as 2 x 8GB of RAM and when they arrive please install in them in the empty RAM slots.

Mail crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.