Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari won't quit

For some reason, Safari won't quit. So far I've tried:

1. restarting and shutting down - it starts up on restart.
  2. shift/command/option (force quit) - it starts up on its own
  3. erasing Safari cache through preferences - it starts up on its own
  4. erasing the app - can't do it because it says the app is in use

I've researched threads but I've tried the suggestions and it still keeps starting up. Not sure what to do next.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Regards,

Alec

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 9:04 PM

1. Have you removed Safari from System Preferences...>Users & Groups>Login Items?
  2. How to force an app to quit on your Mac - Apple Support describes the (force quit) command.
  3. Try a Safe Mode Start.
  4. You won't be able to uninstall Safari.

6 replies

Jul 11, 2020 6:49 PM in response to Alec S.

A quick review of your report indicates to me that:

Battery: Health = Replace Now - Cycle count = 1071

Antivirus software: TotalAV

Adware - Adware detected.

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed that could be adware and should be reviewed.

Apple security disabled - Apple security software is disabled. This computer is at risk of malwareinfection.

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac.volumeWatcher.plist

~/Library/Application Support/CleanMyMac/CleanMyMacHelperTool

1. Replace your battery.
  2. I recommend that you delete TotalAV. It is useless.
  3. Remove Adware using EtreCheck. You may also want to consider using MalwareBytes to remove the Adware.
  4. I'm not really sure of what "Apple security disabled means. Perhaps someone else will chime in.
  5. Delete CleanMyMac.

Jul 6, 2020 11:58 PM in response to Alec S.

Hi Ferd,

Thank you for your suggestions. Here's what happened:

1. Tried to remove Safari from System Preferences...>Users & Groups>Login Items? but it wasn't listed as one of the login items.
  2. I tried to force quit but it still reappeared. In fact, in the list of apps in the Force Quit box, when I selected Safari and chose Force Quit, the app closed and the icon disappeared, but it immediately restarted again and this time, TWO Safari icons appeared in the Force Quit box. I selected both icons, chose Force Quit, both apps disappeared and Safari quit, but it reopened again with just one icon in the Force Quit box.
  3. I tried a safe mode start and that seemed to do the trick because Safari didn't launch, but once I restarted normally, the app reappeared.

Best,

Alec

Jul 11, 2020 9:50 PM in response to Alec S.

Alec S. Said:

"Safari won't quit: For some reason, Safari won't quit.[...]I've researched threads but I've tried the suggestions and it still keeps starting up. Not sure what to do next. Thank you for any help you can give me."

-------

Using Terminal, use this command:

killall Safari

To Open Terminal:

1. Go to: Applications
  2. Select: Utilities
  3. Select: Terminal

Safari won't quit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.