Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating my MacBook Air

I have been trying to update my MacBook Air to the macOS Catalina 10.15.6 and it has only been updating to 511.2 MB of 8.24 GB and won't go any further. It will pop with with a network error, saying the the network connection was lost and that an error occurred while installing selected updates. Any way to get it to update completely?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 9:55 AM

mdonnafield wrote:

I have been trying to update my MacBook Air to the macOS Catalina 10.15.6 and it has only been updating to 511.2 MB of 8.24 GB and won't go any further. It will pop with with a network error, saying the the network connection was lost and that an error occurred while installing selected updates. Any way to get it to update completely?

Delete any copies of "Install macOS Catalina" from the Applications folder and try downloading again while in Safe Mode.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2020 9:55 AM in response to mdonnafield

mdonnafield wrote:

Delete any copies of "Install macOS Catalina" from the Applications folder and try downloading again while in Safe Mode.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Jul 30, 2020 9:37 AM in response to dialabrain

How do you know that? Error messages like above can happen because it was from Software Update they tried to download and install. And there is no indication they downloaded from one source or the other than the ambiguous error message.

Let me rephrase what I stated earlier:

1. If you installed and downloaded from the App Store and received this error message, it is possible something is installed that is preventing the full installation of Catalina.
  2. Because your signature says you are running 10.14 Mojave, we can only assume you are trying by some method to get to 10.15.6. If it is the App Store, then it means something is not setup right for a Catalina install. If it is Software update website, then yes you are getting the download from the wrong location.

If it is downloaded from the right location, use Etrecheck to make sure with us that nothing is running that could prevent the upgrade:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002463

Updating my MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.