Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video option gone

I no longer have a video option for my iPhone 11 Pro Max and the only way I can record is by holding my shutter button. Does this only affect the 11 series and any ideas to see if it’s just my phone? Should I go to my nearest Apple store and see what they say? Anything to help me sort this out or something like that please reply thanks.

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 12:39 PM

Hi Loganberry2007,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. We see no one has responded to your post yet. To assist the community in replying, you might consider providing more information about what you’re experiencing. Including the following details in your post may be helpful:

If you receive an error message, what does it say? Which software version?

Is this in the Camera app only?

The more information you provide, the better chance the community will be able to offer some additional guidance.

Have a great day!

71 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2020 12:39 PM in response to Loganberry2007

Hi Loganberry2007,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. We see no one has responded to your post yet. To assist the community in replying, you might consider providing more information about what you’re experiencing. Including the following details in your post may be helpful:

If you receive an error message, what does it say? Which software version?

Is this in the Camera app only?

The more information you provide, the better chance the community will be able to offer some additional guidance.

Have a great day!

Nov 17, 2020 2:34 PM in response to Loganberry2007

Open your camera and the white “PHOTO” button will appear; HOLD THE BUTTON and the camera will begin recording; let go of the button and the recording will stop.

if you want continuous recording without having to hold the button down:

HOLD THE WHITE SHUTTER BUTTON; begin the recording; then swipe right, and the recording will continue.

Must be something Apple did with the latest update.

Dec 20, 2020 8:20 AM in response to Sleeper1962

Go to Preserve Settings in the camera settings section...You'll see it over there. Its an option YES, but still this solution didn't work for me so yeah...I mean I do have a video option now, cause it magically keeps on reappearing and disappearing again and again. The temporary fix is restarting the phone. Apple will prolly come up with an update soon which fixes this issue. (Hopefully)🤞🏻

Jan 6, 2021 8:30 AM in response to zera97

Dude the only temporary fix is restarting your iPhone....Otherwise I just leave my iPhone idle for a few hours and the video option just magically appears on its own. I hope Apple brings up something in its next iOS update. And yeah the answer to your question, apple hasn't popped up in this chat yet to give us an official conformation of any of this. So yeah we can only hope for something. Nothing is official 🤷‍♂️

Jan 20, 2021 10:12 PM in response to Loganberry2007

_beyousid_’s screenshot showed the active call indicator. Because the microphone is being used by the call, it cannot also be used to record the audio track for a video recording. Hang up your call and try recording again. If you are not in a Cellular, FaceTime Audio, or FaceTime Video call, are not using a 3rd party app for any type of call, and have no application using your microphone in the background (a call will show a green bar at the top of your screen on a Touch ID iPhone, and a green Bible around the time stamp on a FACE ID iPhone) you’ll need to turn your iPhone on and off by holding the Sleep/Wake button, swiping the onscreen slider, then holding the Sleep/Wake button again to power your iPhone back on. If the Camera app stop will not record video, force restart it. The method by which you force restart an iPhone varies by model, so, if you don’t know how to force restart your iPhone, search for “force restart [your iPhone model]. If you don’t know what model iPhone you have, go to Settings>General>About and you will see your iPhone’s model name among other listings; the model name is what you’ll need in your search. If you still need help with a force restart, chat with Apple support or call at 1(800) MY-APPLE (1(800) 692–7753).

Big picture: if you have something, app, call, etc, using your microphone, video won’t work. Close all apps that may be using your microphone, power cycle, and force restart your iPhone, if necessary. Contact Apple via chat or call at 1(800) MY-APPLE (1(800) 692–7753) if you need help with any of those steps or if they don’t work. Try using your Camera App’s video function and see if it works, now.

Jan 27, 2021 9:50 AM in response to Loganberry2007

This has been happened to my iPhone 11 every few days since update a couple of weeks ago. I'm able to fix it by rebooting the phone (off/on) but, always seems to happen at the worst time and is actually getting rather annoying. I've had this phone for about 18 months with no problems whatsoever until now. Kind of make one wondering if it's part of Apple's overall plan to get people to buy an upgrade every 24 months or so. :-(

Feb 1, 2021 10:11 PM in response to Loganberry2007

My iPhone 12 is not even a month old. Today i tried to take a video and suddenly the video button is gone!!! I could not shoot the video, the interesting scene was gone. After about 5 minutes I checked again and the video option was back. i fail to understand this new phone. I am very disappointed with what happened today. I missed an opportunity to record something rare and beautiful. What a shame after paying almost 1000k for this phone. I know it will probably happen again. I have no confidence in my brand new phone! What will happen a couple more months down the line???

Video option gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.