Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE 2020 battery health

So I’ve had my iPhone SE 2020 it has moderate use. Battery life is pretty shocking for saying the iPhone 7 I was using before lasted longer.

main issue I’ve found is that in the 3-4months of owning this my battery health has literally declined to 96% should this be happening so soon on a new phone?

Again the 7 I’d had since new was used the same way as this that when I chopped it in was still at 98% battery health so is it just me that’s having this issue or is there more folks out there havning the issue also?

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 12:21 PM

193 replies

Jun 1, 2021 1:51 PM in response to Lilimoon2020

Lilimoon2020 wrote:

I think iPhoneSE users who commented here want an answer from Apple and not from you. We want an explanation and why not, a solution.

You will NEVER get an answer from Apple in this user-to-user forum, so if that’s what you expect you are wasting your time posting here. If you want an answer from Apple you have to contact Apple directly. Here are several ways to Contact Apple:

Sep 8, 2020 8:43 AM in response to ragnar149

Hello ragnar149,

Thanks for using Apple Support Community.

We understand you have some questions regarding the Battery Health on your iPhone SE. We are happy to help provide some information.

We have some great information regarding your iPhone Battery Health in this great articles:

iPhone Battery and Performance

Why Lithium-ion?

You can also see more about how to maximize your iPhones battery performance here:

Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan

We hope this helps.

Best Regards.

May 28, 2021 7:27 AM in response to Pbrahma

While heat is not good for batteries, the iPhone is designed to always keep the battery’s temperature at a safe level.

How do I know? I have my fair share of experience with the original iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 5S, iPhone 7, iPhone 8 and iPhone XR. And my phone has heated up from time to time, especially fast charging and on long phone calls and watching videos. I have always updated to the latest version of iOS because it is the only way to keep an iPhone safe from malware. And I have never had a battery fail. And I am an electronics engineer with many years experience with battery technology.

So it isn’t heat, it is charge cycles that is the primary determinant of battery health, other than abuse such as letting the battery get so low it shuts off.

Staying on iOS 10 is a very risky thing to do, as there are quite a few security vulnerabilities in it that have been blocked in all of the later versions. Here is a list of what your phone is at risk for→Apple security updates - Apple Support

Mar 7, 2021 2:39 PM in response to jdo_apple

Yh but still doesn’t explain y our phones battery Healh dropped so quickly yet we’ve had it for couple of month before this I had a 5s my dad used for three years then I used for two years and it lasted almost as nearly as my iPhone ase2020 and could this possibly be a software issue and it’s displaying it wrong and it just a bug cus my dad has to pay for this and more and I don’t want it to get ruined and please if it is a bug or software issue pls tell cus this giving me a headache and my dad has a iPhone 11 and he had it for longer but his battery health is still at 100%

Sep 8, 2020 9:45 AM in response to jdo_apple

It still doesn’t answer as to why my phone is at 96% battery health within 3-4months? All other iPhones I have owned have never deteriorated so quickly, I’ve had optimised charging on from day 1 and also end up using low Power Mode 90% of the time to attemp to get 3/4 of a day out the battery without the need to charge twice a day

Dec 23, 2020 3:44 PM in response to VladLB

I got my IPhone SE2 in April of this year and I’m at 94% battery health. I had a regular iPhone SE for over 3 years I only got to 86% battery health. Seems to me like iPhone is literally still destroying our phones. I’m still on iOS 13 BTW. And it barely holds a charge. Like come on I’ll watch something for 20 minutes, down 20 percent... really?

Dec 27, 2020 3:33 AM in response to ragnar149

I bought iPhone SE 2020 from Apple Online store on 5 June 2020. Previously, i went to Apple Store on 5 Dec 2020 to check up my phone and report that my battery health only at 93%, after 6 months using it. The assistant told me to factory reset my phone, and turned off the background app refresh settings. Surprisingly, at to date now - on 27 Dec 2020, my battery health dropped to 89% since then. Exactly 22 days I went to Apple Store. For information, i am rarely used my phone and only charged once a day after working hours. And I don’t let my phone over charge overnight, and I only used original charging cable from Apple. And even I bought Belkin wireless charging port for my phone. Please someone overlook this matter. This is something wrong with iPhone SE. Thanks

Dec 30, 2020 3:29 PM in response to ragnar149

92% here. Was 96% last week. I refuse to accept this as "normal"; I frankly don't care how "close to perfect" it is.

As someone who went through a battery degradation saga with the iPhone 6S and had it replaced multiple times; I can only surmise that utilizing quick-charging is what is causing the SE2020's battery health to degrade so quickly. Either that, or this is a software bug.

Once the original faulty battery of my 6S was replaced (supplier left a chemical exposed to oxygen for too long, causing the composition of the chemicals to be out of tolerance), the battery was rock solid. I saw a 1-2% drop per 4-6 months of (extremely heavy) use.

80% battery capacity is catastrophically unacceptable for a phone battery. Per Apple's own support, as soon as the battery cannot support peak performance (loss of 10-12%...ish), it needs to be replaced.

Hopefully this is just a software bug.

Regardless, don't let QuickTimeKirk blow smoke up your asses - this is an issue. These phones are barely 10 months old (April release, with a ~2-month lead time on production).

Jan 8, 2021 9:56 AM in response to ragnar149

I bought my se 2020 back in April. Battery health was dropping constantly up until today without major use issues. Recently i checked and it was at 94% health. Today I had an 1 hour video call and my battery dropped 75% charge, when it used to lose about 30-40% for this task. Checked health, 91%.This is not normal. I used to own a 6 plus and battery health started deteriorating significally after 3 years and now after 6 years is at 89%. Mind you I am a moderate user except for these calls that take place 4-5 times a week due to quarantine. i am always charging through original regular charger. Apple we need a solution! I'm guessing these SEs are refurbished 8s with some new components and beat-up batteries or batteries that were just sitting in storages for 3 years and have naturally deteriorated. Free replacements worldwide now!

Jan 11, 2021 10:22 PM in response to dying_pasta

It’s not about longer battery life. We know what we bought. It’s about not preserving whatever battery life and performance our phone has for more than six months. Battery health is just an indicator that we can maybe use on why our battery life has deteriorated. Plus many of us have experience of past iPhone devices that we can compare. Also, if it drops too much phone performance will deteriorate too and we will be forced to buy a new battery (or phone). Nevertheless, comparison aside, neither battery life nor health should have been that much deteriorated in a time frame of less than a year on a BRAND NEW DEVICE.

iPhone SE 2020 battery health

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.