Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email photo as attachment, not embedded, in iOS 14

I just updated my phone to ios14. I have an hotmail email account I’ve used for years. Before I updated I could email pictures to my work email and outlook account and they would be attachments at top of email. Easy to save, copy, print, etc. Now the pictures show up in the body of the email. Full screen and not easy to work with. Is there a setting I need to change to get it back to the way it sent pictures before I updated. Thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 7:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 3:02 AM

I suggest everyone to COMPLAIN!

I believe a shower of feedback can make Apple go back and bring back the most obvious feature ever created since email was created!

Please claim:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

984 replies

Sep 20, 2020 11:31 PM in response to Riverrat313

I too am in the same boat. Having updated to ios14, I can no longer send selected photos via email without them becoming embedded. This is highly frustrating and extremely inconvenient. Previously, the option to ‘Save all attachments’ was a simple and efficient method of transferring to, and storing multiple photos within specific folders on my laptop. Since this option has become unavailable, the revised embedded nature of the photos is not permitting the ease of transfer multiple pictures. I can think of no sound reason to prompt this change. All that it has achieved is cause delay, inconvenience and frustration to what was previously a straightforward and simple process. Any advice on how I can return to the previous transfer format would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sep 24, 2020 6:45 AM in response to Riverrat313

Since the iOS 14 update I haven’t been able to send pics as an attachment. The pics now come up as a full screen view. I use pics a lot at work. It just makes things so much easier....the old saying it true. A picture is worth a thousand words. Now is I send a pic it’s enlarged and hard for someone to look at on a phone

I haven’t been to figure out how to work with this.

can anyone help with advice on converting a pic into an attachment

Mar 22, 2021 10:35 AM in response to TarHeelTech

TarHeelTech wrote:

@Halliday - Do you recall how sending an email with a single picture “attachment” using the native built-in Mail app would show up in Outlook prior to v14 of iOS? If it came as an “attachment” then, but doesn’t now, then the cause of the issue was the upgrade to iOS 14. If that was, indeed, the case, then please explain to my how an upgrade to iOS can somehow be blamed on Microsoft. I want to understand, but after 44 pages in this thread, I am still scratching my head. As always, thanks for your time participating in this lively discussion!

What has been found, through a great deal of testing, are:

1. Regardless what changes were made in Apple Mail, in transitioning to iOS 14, and beyond, the attached files/images/photos/pictures/etc. are still attachments, as they have always been, and as the Official Internet Protocol Standards dictate they must be.
  2. As N-K-O found, Outlook (and its derivatives) seem to not understand certain Content-Type designations of attachments. (This is probably only one of many issues with this very tiny subset of email clients.)
  3. This “attachment” issues has happened before, with previous versions of iOS, over many years: always with only Outlook (and its derivatives) having a problem.
  4. Every single non-Outlook derived email client has no trouble recognizing the attachments in Apple Mail created emails.
  5. Even Outlook gets it right if the user saves the Apple Mail created email as HTML.
  6. Using the definitive test, found at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251807601?answerId=254806789022#254806789022, to see what is actually going on; anyone and everyone can verify that the files/images/photos/pictures/etc. are always attachments.

So. Why did things break in Outlook, even though Outlook didn’t change, but something changed in some other email authoring software?

Because Outlook has inherent flaws that have remained unaddressed over many years. It’s as if its creators think all the World should adjust for them, rather than adhering to the Official Internet Protocol Standards, as everyone else seems to be doing.

Sep 29, 2020 3:25 PM in response to Riverrat313

Really frustrating, a couple of years ago I had this same issue and along the way it was fixed with an upate. I was so disappointed after updating yesterday to find we have reverted back to photos being embedded, I take photos daily for work and have to email them to the office, just not practical. If you could please fix this apple it would be appreciated and please explain to us why this has changed?

Apr 25, 2021 8:47 AM in response to Martin_Williams

Martin_Williams wrote:

If from the outset someone had just said simply “Yes, Apple have made a change in IOS14 that now stops you doing what you want to do” rather than what appeared to be copied and pasted responses then I’m guessing all of the ranting would have ended long ago. …

(Emphasis added)

The problem is that that claim (the emphasized portion) is demonstrably untrue:

1. Anyone that doesn’t use that very tiny subset of email clients (consisting of a single email client and its derivatives), have no such problems.
  2. Anyone and everyone can invalidate that claim, against the International Internet Standards governing email composition and interchange, by simply performing the definitive test found in my comment at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251807601?answerId=254806789022#254806789022.

… I now appreciate Apple are aware of it and may or may not do anything about it and if I don’t like it ... tough I guess. …

… My reference to somewhere that users could voice their opinion collectively, the link you suggested on allows individuals to communicate and not speak as a group so sorry if I was unclear on that. …

If what you want is some “gripe” chat area that Apple will pay any attention to, then, I’m sorry, but I’m reasonably certain nothing of that sort exists.

… What I’m getting at was the blaming of a “tiny subset of ......” just wound everyone up as it was in Apples power to fix, they just choose not to and that’s fair enough. …

I’m sorry, but after the first two months (so, by the end of October 2020) of people lodging this complaint about email attachments, it became abundantly clear that only those that received their emails using a very tiny subset of email clients (consisting of a single email client and its derivatives), had any substantive issue (beyond purely appearances).

Since this issue involves a failing of a third-party software product, Apple’s «power to fix» this is, essentially, zero. (The best they could do would be to implement fragile workarounds, in order to attempt to fit within the imposed constraints of a poorly programmed third-party product.)

I’m certainly not going to blame Apple for not wanting to “play” such a loose-loose “game”.

… As customers we make our choices, whilst as a business of 115,000 users all on Outlook that is not something I can change but to remove iPhones from our list of corporate devices as it’s not fit for OUR purposes is our choice however a shame for Apple as the iPhone is a preference but not a necessity. …

Unfortunately, you are completely ignoring a far more fruitful avenue for a true fix to this issue: use the power of «a business of 115,000 users all on Outlook» to get this software “up to snuff”. (It’s International Internet Standards compliance hasn’t been advanced since before 2010, or worse.)

When I worked for a State Government agency, I routinely found issues in various software we used, and went to the respective companies and got them to fix their software.

They were usually quite responsive.

(Admittedly, I didn’t, then, see this issue in Outlook, or I would have taken the issue right to Microsoft.)

… As an insignificant user we were hoping to find a solution on this platform but sadly that’s not available this time

We, your fellow users, are sorry about that.

Sep 22, 2020 2:58 PM in response to Riverrat313

I have the same problem. The two comments nail the issues I am having. Getting photos off of an iOS device is already difficult, now to require us to save individual photo to a file and to name them. This is entirely not needed. I cannot fathom attaching the phone as a drive and the ridiculous file system to try and find the miscellaneous photos I need. iCloud is an option, that we have to pay a surcharge for...

Sep 22, 2020 3:40 PM in response to Riverrat313

I found a work around that is better than saving pictures one at a time by right clicking them.

Go to the email with the embedded photos and right click to select it. Then go to File and select 'save as' in the dropdown menu. You will then need to navigate to a folder you want to save the pictures in. Hit 'open', then 'save'.

I was able to save multiple emails with many photos to the same folder without having to navigate to it each time. Link below is what I found when Googling the problem. Good luck!

https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/outlook/3811-outlook-copy-save-inline-embedded-images.html

Sep 24, 2020 12:01 PM in response to Riverrat313

This is VERY annoying if you're trying to email yourself a picture. Now you have to copy the picture into paint, go find the folder you want to save it in, save it (after changing png to jpg every single time), go find that folder if you didn't already have it open, copy that and go back to your email and send it to where you actually wanted to send it. I wouldn't send a picture to anyone directly anymore because of the inconvenience that I would cause them. This is actually one of the most ridiculous updates EVER. This is the only thread I found talking about it unfortunately. Please change this back Apple. PPPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEEE

Email photo as attachment, not embedded, in iOS 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.