Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face Id not working after iOS 14 update -iPhone X

Hi, my iphone X is suddenly not recognizing my face after the iOS 14 update yesterday. I thought a face id reset will solve the issue, but it is still not working. When trying to set the face id, it is showing the error of ‘move the iphone a little higher/trlower’. Nothing works after multiple attempts. Is this an iOS14 issue?

iPhone X, 14

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 7:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 3:35 PM

Same here on iPhone X. Wiping the phone and restoring from a backup did not help. When setting up, I have the same “move iPhone (...)” messages. It looks like the camera is trying to get a fix, but with no luck.

489 replies

Sep 21, 2020 8:44 AM in response to Mario46Y

To fix this issue, go to Face ID & Passcode, other Apps, and then unselect the App that Face ID is not working for and then go to your app and sign in with your password. After this, go back to Face ID & Passcode and select the App to use Face ID. Close your App from the phone background and reopen it and it should let you use Face ID after you verify your password. This is how I fixed mine on an IPhone 11.

Hope this helps you as well.

Oct 2, 2020 1:51 AM in response to sreejithvj

If you still need help, reset Face ID, then set it up again. Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode and tap Reset Face ID. Then tap Set up Face ID to set it up again. If you can't enroll your face, take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider or contact Apple Support.

If Face ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad Pro - Apple ...

Sep 27, 2020 3:13 AM in response to Daniel5020

What about your cameras and the flashlight?

which iPhone Modell do you have?

I already reported this case four days ago!

He asked me to do the following:

1. Reset all settings —-if this doesn’t help
  2. Do a backup.
  3. Reset it to factory settings.

Configure it as new.

I have not done it yet, as I have no possibility to use iTunes at the Moment.

Anyone here already tried to reset it to factory setting???

does this help???

please let me know!

1. if it work, backup your iPhone

Sep 27, 2020 6:03 AM in response to markus772

Hey hi, how are u? Well, I try it all this:

1. Reset all setting
  2. Clean all sensor panel.
  3. Turn off the phone for 2 - 3 min
  4. Hard reset
  5. Take a photo used the portrait option.
  6. Check if the brightness work correctly with flashlight, and check if they up and down the intensity correctly. 
  7. Check the doc protector work correctly with iMessage emoji.
  8. Check ambient light sensor work correctly, put camera in front the iPhone.
  9. Factory reset.

And any of this steps doesn’t work. That’s why I said please call apple support to create many cases to technical check something wrong with the update. 

Sep 28, 2020 12:49 PM in response to Futs

I have an appointment tomorrow at Best Buy. I’ll keep everybody updated. Based on my experience:

• it’s a software issue
  • resetting back to factory settings won’t work
  • Apple isn’t aware of the issue or it’s not high enough on their radar that folks have a prepared statement “we are aware of the issue, wait for a software update”

Sep 29, 2020 12:26 PM in response to the_bart123

The final story:

• sometime prior to the iOS 14 update, I broke the sensors required for Faceid
  • the Faceid continued to work despite the sensor being broken because it was already setup
  • when iOS14 was installed, it deleted the existing FaceId
  • when you try to setup FaceId, the sensor is broken and won’t work

so nothing I can do for now, then update to an 12.

Sep 29, 2020 1:37 PM in response to Futs

1. There are FOUR stages.

The proximity sensor and ambient light sensor help the TrueDepth camera

system determine how much illumination will be needed for face

recognition;

The flood illuminator produces infrared (IR) light, part of the

electromagnetic spectrum that's invisible to the naked eye, to

illuminate your face;

The dot projector produces more than 30,000 dots of invisible IR light

to create a three-dimensional map (for area and depth) of your facial

landscape;

The infrared camera captures images of the dot pattern and the IR light

(a heat signature) that's been reflected back from your face.

And not comparing Photo but 3D pattern of our faces.

Oct 6, 2020 1:45 AM in response to dev1405

Nothing has fixed it for me.

1. Reset.
  2. Basic troubleshooting.
  3. All the methods mentioned in the answers.
  4. Restore from itunes.
  5. visit to the service center.
  6. call with apple support.

All they say is we have checked the software side, it might be a hardware issue. I think we'll just need to wait for the next ios release to see if that might fix it.

Dec 12, 2020 1:59 AM in response to sreejithvj

I am not sure what iOS version Face ID stopped working, but I can confirm the following observations on my iPhone X (model MQAF2AA/A / A1901) which has had no hardware repairs:

• Face ID stops working.
  • The front facing camera in portrait mode doesn't blur the background in Natural Light.
  • The front facing camera in portrait mode doesn't switch to black 'n white in Mono Stage Light.
  • The screen does not blank during phone calls when the proximity sensor is covered. The proximity sensor sensor does not emit IR light.
  • The dot projector does not emit IR light during Face ID unlocks.

After a reboot:

• Face ID works.
  • The screen blanks correctly during calls when the proximity sensor is covered.
  • Both the proximity sensor and the dot projector emit IR light during Face ID unlocks.

This leads me to believe this is not a hardware issue. Perhaps it is a software/firmware compatibility issue with a particular hardware component that perhaps is faulty.

I would suggest this is an issue Apple needs to resolve for customers both in and out of warranty.

Face Id not working after iOS 14 update -iPhone X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.