Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Apple TV freezing after update

Just updated my Apple TV 3rd gen A1469 to 7.6, when I noticed that pausing a YouTube video freezes the UI and makes the Apple TV reboot.

Any Help?

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 9:40 PM

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

The ball is Apple’s court. This is a known bug! They broke our Apple TV’s and with over 500 replies they need to fix this. Many podcasters have been reporting the same issue. So seems like a universal problem. Does any real person from Apple monitor these forums?

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 4:46 PM

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Oct 4, 2020 7:32 PM in response to Kevinlawhornsse In response to Kevinlawhornsse

The same thing is happening to our Apple TV (A1469 7.6 (8130)). Could it be Planned Obsolescence has been rolled out in this category, small though it may be, for the sake of Apple shareholders? Or is it just another ripple in the September of errors which Apple has experienced? So many questions and so few answers. 🙄

Oct 4, 2020 7:32 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Oct 13, 2020 11:42 AM in response to Kevinlawhornsse In response to Kevinlawhornsse

This is extremely bad on Apple’s part. I eventually resorted to downgrading to the previous version. This was especially troublesome as I no longer have the original remote so the setup was painful and time consuming. However, despite disabling automatic updates, it has somehow updated itself back to the latest buggy 7.6 (8130) version. Prior to this it would periodically prompt us to upgrade and we had to continually select to update later. I couldn’t find anyway to avoid this prompt. I can only guess that as the default option was to update or enable automatic updates that this has been inadvertently selected whilst the tv was on a different hdmi input. So just a warning to anyone that does downgrade, be wary of it updating itself again.

This kind of behaviour and the fact that Apple refuses to acknowledge the bug or provide a fix, really puts me off buying more apple devices, which is a pity as we have many. I think we will use an alternative manufacturer from now.

Oct 13, 2020 11:42 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 13, 2020 7:27 PM in response to Scifter In response to Scifter

YouTube is freezing on my iMac- no Apple TV being used. It doesn't always happen but it happens enough to be a real pain. A video will play for 30 seconds or a minute and then it freezes. In about another minute it plays catchup and quickly scrolls through the video to catch up to the audio. Pain! (Catalina 10.15.7, iMac 2012)

Oct 13, 2020 7:27 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 25, 2020 1:46 PM in response to Kevinlawhornsse In response to Kevinlawhornsse

Seem to have a similar issue. Been happening last few weeks. Never had an issue with my Apple TV before. Have 350 Blast service from Xfinity. But lately Youtube has become hard to watch. Blurry or pixelated videos, issues with pausing and then it hangs up.. like random times. One night was so sporadic and blurry that I couldn't read the words in the video. I shut it down in frustration only moments after starting. Thought it was my service. Looks like youtube is the culprit or this 7.6 update (checked - Have 7.6 on A1427 unit). Happened again last night.. fine for like 2 hours.. then started to see some blurs and pixelations.. then paused for bathroom... locked up!

Very Frustrating!

Oct 25, 2020 1:46 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Kevinlawhornsse

Question: Apple TV freezing after update