Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delayed notifications

I'm on IOS 14, and this also happened when I was on 13. The notifications on my phone are not working and are delayed by sometimes as much as 5 minutes. If someone calls me on FaceTime, it rings for them but my screen doesn't even turn on. Messages sent to me are delayed, on imessages and WhatsApp as well.

Do not disturb is off

Notifications are turned on, all settings.

Bedtime is off

Reset networks settings

Reset my phone once but restored from a cloud backup

Reset all settings

Any help will be extremely appreciated.

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 1:20 PM

Howdy WillianKazuo,

It sounds like notifications aren't working as expected. We know how important it is to be able to rely on notifications. You’re in the right place to find a resolution.

It sounds like you've done some great troubleshooting. You mentioned that notifications are turned on. Do you notice any changes if you adjust the notification style for any of the apps?

Here's a resource that can help:

Change notification settings on iPhone

Take care!

139 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2020 1:20 PM in response to WillianKazuo

Howdy WillianKazuo,

It sounds like notifications aren't working as expected. We know how important it is to be able to rely on notifications. You’re in the right place to find a resolution.

It sounds like you've done some great troubleshooting. You mentioned that notifications are turned on. Do you notice any changes if you adjust the notification style for any of the apps?

Here's a resource that can help:

Change notification settings on iPhone

Take care!

Mar 15, 2021 5:40 AM in response to WillianKazuo

Dear All,

For the past view days I have been experimenting and was not able to find a real “fix” to this. It’s somehow related to the internet connection dropping whenever the screen is locked. To overcome this, I installed 1.1.1.1 app and use it on demand. So far the connection is stable and all notifications are on time. I think this is the best workaround I can share with you guys for the time being.

Let me know if it works for you. Thanks.

Link:

https://apps.apple.com/ph/app/1-1-1-1-faster-internet/id1423538627

Jul 7, 2021 1:13 PM in response to Zeroel

If the same thing happens to you with Wi-Fi (without mobile data), then the problem is software (iOS). In my case the problem was fixe by my carrier mobile.

Clearly my solution doesn't apply to everyone. And I don't think Apple engineers read this thread, but we can write in:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

https://twitter.com/applesupport

There is another much bigger thread where they report the same problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251815788

Sep 22, 2021 10:18 PM in response to WillianKazuo

"Hi AbbasunNaufil_J,

You have submitted a number of posts to the Apple Support Communities site that were inappropriate. At that time, we contacted you to let you know about our submission guidelines.

This message is your last warning. If you continue to create inappropriate posts, we may suspend your ability to use the community. We may also block the Internet Provider address(es) you post from and notify your Internet Service Provider.

If you create a new Apple ID and continue to post inappropriate content, we will disable the ID without warning.

You can read our submission guidelines here:  Apple Support Communities Use Agreement

We’ve included a copy of your most recent post below.

Thanks,

Apple Support Communities Staff"

I appreciate Great Response from Apple Team for my post, Instead of replying me to my mail and deleting my post, they can fix the Software bug or replace or refund the cost for the device which will be a great headache relief to customers, Hands Off to Very Good Device manufactured in Very Good Apple Manufacturing Facility, talented Engineering Team, Precious iOS Software and a high price tag Brand Name, Salute to it, Thanks for deleting my post and keeping me very hot on Apple Devices and Apple.

Mar 21, 2021 10:31 PM in response to WillianKazuo

Guys i found a fix to this problem.

I’m using iPhone 8 Plus on 14.4.1, i just did a reset all settings. After that reset, the notification works as it should. And then i changed the keyboard settings in my phone then the problem comes back. After minutes of trying to find the culprit, i think it’s the character preview.

1. Go to settings
  2. General
  3. Keyboard
  4. Turn character preview to on

This fix it for me, please report back if your problem fixed too!

Sep 26, 2020 1:50 PM in response to brenden dv

Hello brenden dv,

Yes, if I change the notification style it makes effect.If I change to temporary, persistant, banners, locked, etc, it changes.

So, I have already tried to reset my phone and do not restore from backup, and to my surprise, the problem persists.

And it happens when I lock my screen, and then, 2 minutes later, it looks like the phone is dead, no notifications pop.

Thank you

Nov 15, 2020 4:41 PM in response to WillianKazuo

I have the same problem, no notifications for whatsapp, imessages, gmail, telegram etc for about 2-4 min and maybe for 4 o 5 times each day, may be a few more times.

The only app that works between the fail period is Mail wich has a configured account for microsoft exchange (it´s my work email). For this reason I doubt about a WIFI/4G connection problem.

I tryied many options at the end I totally erase my iPhone from iTunes and reinstall iOS and the problem persist the same way.

Any helps?

Dec 1, 2020 5:09 AM in response to Christy828

Same issue. It’s been months of frustration. With the pandemic, notifications are important. I don’t understand why it’s delayed in mine either. I tried everything OP said too. Tbh I’m really eyeing the note 20 ultra 5g to replace this phone. Even a cheap android that connects to my hotspot receives a notification 2-4 minutes earlier than my own iphone which hosts the hotspot (big lol). If a cheap android phone does that, makes you wonder what high-end androids can do.

Dec 2, 2020 4:17 AM in response to Joyceya

Hi, i just solved my problem a few weeks ago.. well kind of. The fact it’s that I turn on WiFi and Data Mobile at the same time I get my notifications on time... obviously this is stupid. Maybe the Iphone just turn off the data when a “micro stop” at the signal of the router of WiFi happens. So, the phone could get again the signal at least you enter to the app or whatever.

I know this is not a solution and I’m very upset about this issue... more when you paid a lot for a good phone. Really anoying! But you can try this, maybe help you a little bit.

Btw: dont reset your Iphone, don’t solve anything

Dec 3, 2020 6:12 AM in response to WillianKazuo

Been having this issue for years now. First encountered it in my iPhone 6 back in around 2017. Then upgraded to iPhone XS last year and restored from backup. Tried everything and also sought assistance from apple support. Unfortunately, they were not able to resolve it even after months. I think they have already given up since they didnt even bother to check up on my ticket again.

I don’t know if apple will ever fix this. There are many threads like this in this forum but none has been fixed. It’s always the same answer. It is really disappointing.

Dec 10, 2020 12:29 PM in response to Brea127

Brea127 wrote:

This is the IPhone SE2020 😭 so they need to release a software update?

I'm not sure if you meant your phone is 2020 or think mine is (mine is not, is the original SE, so more like an iPhone 6).

In any case, yes, seems like it's a software bug that has been around since at least September. I spent another 40 minutes on phone with Apple Support today to tell them that their suggestion (yesterday during hour and a half phone call) that I wait for 14.2.1 update to fix wasn't going to work based on reports on this Discussion forum that other people already got that update and still have problem. Gonna be a long time to get this fixed I guess. For now, I'm just trying to accept the fact that it's "broke" and that I have to rely on my iPad for notifications. I get some (many actually) on my iPhone/Watch, but unreliable. Today I was texting with a person and three texts in a row from her did generate Notifications, then the next one did not! All within a few minutes. I've had people complain that I didn't show up as promised (was supposed to go when the person texted me that they were ready, but I never got Notification so didn't go).

Dec 18, 2020 5:39 PM in response to HansLoven

I suggest make a erase all content and settings and DO NOT restore your backup from iCloud/iTunes.

This helped me reduce the number of times delayed notifications occur, it still occur but much less often.

Meanwhile, I also have a support case open with apple and I am waiting for a solution, I hope that this Sunday they will give me some answer as agreed.

keep posting comments

Delayed notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.