Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

September 2020 update of Apple TV 3 breaks Youtube app

Hardware: Apple TV (3rd Generation)

Model: A1469

Apple TV Software: 7.6 (8130)

Issue:

After the last software update (a few days ago) in Youtube app a video pause/resume becomes broken.

How to reproduce:

• Play any video.
  • Press pause on remote.

What happens:

• Apple TV is completely hanging.
  • Pause menu doesn't appear.
  • Remote doesn't work.
  • After 2 minutes Apple TV makes quick reset (less than 10 seconds) to main Apple TV menu.

What I already try to do to resolve the problem:

• Reset Apple TV to factory defaults
  • Playing different videos
  • Try remote from iPhone
  • Set up different interface languages
  • Sign in/out in Youtube app

When Google ads video is playing I can pause/resume it successfully. So I guess the problem is in Pause Menu.

Does anybody have the same issue?

And how to report to Support?

Apple TV 3, 8

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 8:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 11:47 PM

Hi guys, I had the same problem, I investigate and find that the software version 8.4.4 or 7.6(8130) of the Apple tv 3 (APTV3) is the problem.

For the moment the solution was only downgrade the software version of tvOS and choose 8.4.3.

First I download the tvOS IPSW for your apple tv, and restore the apple tv with iTunes (press and hold the Option/Alt key in mac), while the APTV3 is connected to usb to the laptop.

Be careful, because as there two models of APTV3, the 3.1(2012) and the 3.2 (2013).

I have the version of apple tv 3.2, and choose the ipsw called appletv3,2_8.4.3_12H885, that in the apple tv say software version 7.5 (8097).

if you have the apple tv 3.1, you need tho choose the ipsw called appletv3,1_8.4.3_12H885.

For now, both versions of ipsw are signed for apple, and for this reason you can be restored via Itunes.

I do it, and I fix it the problem when I press the pause/resume while I use the Youtube app. And don't choose, auto update, because you begin with the same problem.

I hope that this solution be useful for all. And if you have other option, share with all.

Sorry for my english, I hope that you can understand me.

Regards from Chile.

43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2020 11:47 PM in response to Karoly49

Hi guys, I had the same problem, I investigate and find that the software version 8.4.4 or 7.6(8130) of the Apple tv 3 (APTV3) is the problem.

For the moment the solution was only downgrade the software version of tvOS and choose 8.4.3.

First I download the tvOS IPSW for your apple tv, and restore the apple tv with iTunes (press and hold the Option/Alt key in mac), while the APTV3 is connected to usb to the laptop.

Be careful, because as there two models of APTV3, the 3.1(2012) and the 3.2 (2013).

I have the version of apple tv 3.2, and choose the ipsw called appletv3,2_8.4.3_12H885, that in the apple tv say software version 7.5 (8097).

if you have the apple tv 3.1, you need tho choose the ipsw called appletv3,1_8.4.3_12H885.

For now, both versions of ipsw are signed for apple, and for this reason you can be restored via Itunes.

I do it, and I fix it the problem when I press the pause/resume while I use the Youtube app. And don't choose, auto update, because you begin with the same problem.

I hope that this solution be useful for all. And if you have other option, share with all.

Regards from Chile.

Oct 2, 2020 3:46 PM in response to kamesh100

Talked to Apple Support yesterday after a week of no replies. They literally opened a web browser and googled a searched google.com for Apple TV 3. They want to wait on google to fix "their" app, which happens to be a locked component of the Apple TV 3 menu. As a customer, I want Apple to fix "their" broken device experience. Not exactly providing a motivator to upgrade to an Apple TV 4k.

Issue explained: https://tidbits.com/2020/09/28/third-generation-apple-tvs-suffering-from-apple-tv-software-update-7-6/

Example Video: https://youtu.be/4GZzWcHx6H0

Alternate Apple Thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251802757

Distraction Apple is leaning on Google for: https://support.google.com/youtube/thread/72724736?hl=en

Oct 21, 2020 2:34 PM in response to trygves

trygves,

A couple of things, first Apple is simple our hosts on these forums, they do not read or particiapte. We are all end users just like you.

Also, Apple does not have support for rolling back TV OS to a previous version. Your best bet is to reset the device to it's factory settings per the directions in Apple TV Reset or restore your Apple TV to its factory settings

Finally, if you want to let Apple know how you feel, please contact them at www.apple.com/feedback.

Sep 29, 2020 4:18 PM in response to chingakusei

Follow the next steps for the downgrade, and tell us:

• Connect your computer to your Apple TV through a USB cable. iTunes should launch automatically, and if it does not, launch it by yourself.
  • Navigate to the section where you can find information about your Apple TV. If you are using a Mac, press and hold the Option/Alt Key and if you are using a Windows computer, press and hold the Shift key, then click on the "Restore Apple TV" button. This is you sending a message to iTunes that you want to restore your Apple TV manually.
  • On the new window that pops up, navigate to where you saved the tvOS 8.4.3 file and select it. At this stage, iTunes will restore the file to the device and will wipe all the files and data on your Apple TV.
  • Accept all the prompts that pop up on the screen so that the restore process can be complete.
  • Wait for a while for the downgrade process to finish.

Sep 27, 2020 7:18 AM in response to VasylCo

For now, both versions of ipsw are signed for apple, and for this reason can be restored via Itunes.

Regards from Chile.

Oct 3, 2020 4:16 PM in response to VasylCo

After updated my Apple TV 3rd gen Rev A (model A1469) to 7.6 (8130), it

freezes when pausing a YouTube video. After that, Apple TV will no

longer accept commands. To fix this problem I have to disconnect the

internet connection and after a while I get an error message that there

is no internet connection and commands are accepted again but I am

thrown back to the main screen.

Oct 9, 2020 10:41 AM in response to VasylCo

I’ve got this exact same problem on my 3rd Generation Apple TV. We bought a new iMac that came with a free one year subscription to Apple TV+.

We signed up for the free subscription and then turned our 3rd Generation Apple TV on to go to the Apple TV+ channel and it told me "in order to view this channel, I had to install the 7.6 update."

So, I installed the update and what happens? The picture freezes on every channel we watch now although the sound works. Picture gets about 5 to 10 seconds in and just freezes. Nothing fixes it -- reset/sign in/out, numerous restarts. Nothing.

Nice upgrade, Apple. And thanks for the free gift I can’t use. I’ve never seen so many bad updates come out of Apple in such a short period of time.

Yes, I sent a feedback report. Geez, is this ever becoming frustrating. You just DON'T update anything Apple anymore unless you absolutely have to.

Oct 21, 2020 8:00 PM in response to rkaufmann87

There an observable anomaly here:

While the Apple TV 3 is relatively old, it was Apple’s September 2020 update that brought to light a core problem with the complete package; either Google’s YouTube app is broken, or Apple’s version of tvOS is.

Helpless end-users, have reached out to this forum to “self-report” and seek guidance from other users in an attempt to resolve the broken Apple TV experience. So far, the only patchy solution provided is to go to an untrusted 3rd-party site, download and install on older version of tVOS. As reported that causes a new set of problems to correct for. I ask, does that path open-up the Apple TV, iCloud platform and customers privacy and security to unforeseen compromises?

Also, out of natural caution, escalating this outsides the confines of this forum with Apple Support is not providing a solution path either. Frustrated customers then bounce-back here and now on the open Internet, with a naturally-observable frustration. Yet another visible cost for Apple and loyal customers alike.

Both of these outlets have yet to provide the desired outcome that neither customers want from a broken experience standpoint, nor Apple wants to overlook in safeguarding competitively strong technology.

This problem with the tvOS September 2020 update has yet to be resolved by resetting, restoring, downgrading, asking this help forum, Apple Technical support, other Internet sites, nor asking Apple leadership for help.

So there’s one of these solutions to choose from:

1) Hobble-on with the now diminished functionalities of the Apple TV 3

2) Buy a new Apple TV HD/4K

3) Switch to competing hardware and cloud platform

Oct 22, 2020 12:09 AM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87,

Thanks for information. I didn’t realize the discussion forum wasn’t managed by Apple themselves.

Anyway, I think they should take responsibility for the consequences of their ios updates.

And not let the endusers waste their time to make correction “solutions” to an os that is proprietary software.

My Apple TV was working perfectly until it was “sabotaged”by an update from Apple.

And now the only “solution” is to buy an new Apple TV.

Nov 9, 2020 7:23 PM in response to VasylCo

Do not update to 7.6.1

Hardware: Apple TV (3rd Generation)

Model: A1469

Apple TV Software: 7.6.1 (8140)

Updated to 7.6.1 (8140), but the YouTube app still locks up after hitting pause.

Whatever "general performance and stability improvements" were included in this update, they certainly didn't fix the YouTube app.

Nov 14, 2020 1:39 PM in response to VasylCo

Having this same issue with YouTube pause with a number of remotes(I have 3)not working so would like to revert the software to an earlier one. However when I tried doing it via iTunes as described I keep getting a message "The Apple TV could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible".

I have done the restarts of both my MacBook and the ATV, I've tried other restore files of different dates with the same message every time........anyone knows what I could be doing wrong?

Nov 17, 2020 6:09 PM in response to javierfenix

Thank you my friend. Been suffering with this frustrating problem with YouTube being broken due to a recommended update. Was hoping that a newer update will fix the issue but it looks like Apple has brushed it under the carpet.

Followed your downgrade instructions the first time and it didn't work. Didn't realized that I have 2 versions of the 3rd gen in my home, so after carefully checking which versions and downloading the correct files it was a breeze and in minutes all 3 ATV are as good as new. Thanks again.

PS: for those nervous about trying this downgrading, not to worry. If an incorrect file is selected you'll get a message saying that the restore cannot be done because the file is not compatible.

Dec 8, 2020 2:52 AM in response to mymainman

I also updated to v 7.6.1 in hope that Apple would improve the "stability and performance" as APPLE predicted in the description of the newest version. But nothing has improved! Youtube freezes and my apps for Norwegian tv has a much lower performance when it comes to open/shutdown, fast forward, and so on.

Also TV programmes just stops, and starts again by itself. Before v 7.6 everything worked just perfect!

How difficult can it be for APPLE to go back, and reverse the faults, and publish corrections?

September 2020 update of Apple TV 3 breaks Youtube app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.