Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Red dot on I phone when making calls ?

Updated my iPhone 10 with latest update & now when im making calls there is a red dot on upper right corner ?

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 7:17 PM

Greetings, denalirfg.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. It’s understandable that you’d want to know what the dot is that you see while one calls. 

“An orange indicator  means the microphone is being used by an app on your iPhone.” Status icons and symbols on your iPhone

We hope this helps. 

All the best. 

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2020 7:17 PM in response to denalirfg

Greetings, denalirfg.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. It’s understandable that you’d want to know what the dot is that you see while one calls. 

“An orange indicator  means the microphone is being used by an app on your iPhone.” Status icons and symbols on your iPhone

We hope this helps. 

All the best. 

Oct 24, 2020 5:32 PM in response to denalirfg

It is there any time a microphone on the phone is on. When you are on a phone call there is a microphone on; if there wasn’t then the person on the other end of the call wouldn’t be able to hear you. You can test this the next time you are on a call; press the Mute button and watch it go out.

Similarly, whenever the camera is on there will be a green dot. You can try that also.

You can see which app is using the microphone by opening the Control Center (drag down from the upper right corner of the screen). it will display the name of the app using the mic or camera while it is in use and for a short while after that use is finished.

Red dot on I phone when making calls ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.