Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Force file name change in Music

Hi, so long ago I resisted the way iTunes auto-organized the library, because I had my own system, but I've long since accepted it and now it has the run of my media library.

I recently got a new computer and was able to update, and now use Music as opposed to iTunes. However, when I'm adding music to my library (off a CD, say, or from another source besides Apple's store), when it organizes them, it now only changes the file names for some of the songs. (It seems like if I need to go in an edit the tags to change the title, like say if it had a (feat.) in the title and I moved that to the artist tag, then it will update it, but for others it won't.) Is there a way to force Music to look at the songs and change the files names to match the standard for the rest?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 16, 2020 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 11:38 AM

Try Repair security permissions for iTunes for Mac - Apple Community and then the trick with Keep Organized again. Typically the media folder in Catalina will either be the old iTunes media folder from before an upgrade to Catalina ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media, or default for Music which is ~/Music/Music/Media so yours does appear to be in a non-standard layout.

tt2

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2020 11:38 AM in response to jacehan

Try Repair security permissions for iTunes for Mac - Apple Community and then the trick with Keep Organized again. Typically the media folder in Catalina will either be the old iTunes media folder from before an upgrade to Catalina ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media, or default for Music which is ~/Music/Music/Media so yours does appear to be in a non-standard layout.

tt2

Oct 18, 2020 8:02 AM in response to turingtest2

The path under the preferences is [hard drive name]/Users/[my name]/Music, same as it's always been. In this example that I showed, the different songs all have the same artist/album artist, album, same everything except for title and track no. (So there, Astronaut is track 1 and has been renamed, but Runs in the Family is track 2 and has not.) They are currently in the same folder, inside the music folder.

Oct 20, 2020 2:06 PM in response to turingtest2

Yeah. It's checked and turning it off/on doesn't update. It does scan the library and it seems like it's specifically scanning the new songs, but it doesn't edit the file names. Right now if I edit the tags and add a space to the end of the title, it'll register that change and update the filename. But changing any other tag doesn't do that, and I don't want to have to do that for every track. (If changing any tag worked I could at least do the whole album at once, even if it is a pain.)

Oct 21, 2020 4:27 AM in response to jacehan

How frustrating! Probably not the issue given your example with missing track numbers above, but I recall that iTunes may not do case-only corrections, e.g. not changing The beatles to The Beatles at the file/folder level after an edit. I assume this is because it used a case-insensitive comparison to decide if anything needed to be changed. Perhaps such code has also made it to Music.

tt2

Force file name change in Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.