Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Pro charging slowly with Magsafe charger

I bought the MagSafe charger with the 20w brick this week and have been used to charging the iPhone XS, it’s noticeably slower as usual since it’s not compatible.

But my iphone 12 pro arrived today and added my MagSafe clear case and have been using the MagSafe charger with the 20w. It was a 61% battery right at 4:00pm, when I checked at 4:30, it was sitting a 64%. I thought it was supposed to 15w superfast charge, am I missing something? Is it a Hardware defect, is it the MagSafe case? If i use my 20w usbc to usb lightning it would have been at 90% within that time frame, maybe my expectations were high, but even then the phone feels super hot to touch.

Everything’s apple branded.

So to recap Iphone 12 pro, with apple MagSafe clear case, with the MagSafe clear charger for the 12 pro and the newly released 20w power adapter. I used all of these and have noticed it’s still slow, ****, my Apple Watch series 6 reached a 100% before the phone did.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 8:48 PM

I’m glad that I’m not alone. Got my iPhone 12 pro and the MagSafe charger 2 days ago, and used the MacBook 65W charger to charge my 12 pro without the case. After 20mins, the battery only went from 19% to 20% in 20 mins of charging. I switched to lightning charging and it worked fine.

Anyway, I’m meeting a Genius tomorrow and will bring my phone and MagSafe for inspection.

67 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2020 8:48 PM in response to Lottie2020

I’m glad that I’m not alone. Got my iPhone 12 pro and the MagSafe charger 2 days ago, and used the MacBook 65W charger to charge my 12 pro without the case. After 20mins, the battery only went from 19% to 20% in 20 mins of charging. I switched to lightning charging and it worked fine.

Anyway, I’m meeting a Genius tomorrow and will bring my phone and MagSafe for inspection.

Oct 25, 2020 5:02 PM in response to Likewindboy625

I went to the Apple store this morning with appointment - love how they have it all set up for safe visit BTW.

I just ended up returning my 12 Pro, the Mag Clear Case and the Mag Charger. I can’t trust that slow charge and the heating up on the back of the phone.

The phone is great not giving up, I flipped back to my 11ProMax and will order the 12 Prox Max on 11.6 and see how that works out.

Store was suggesting to either do new phone but first try new accessories and I chose to just return for 12 pro m. when can pre-order. I think with Pro Max maybe will have chance of better battery life. We shall see.

:)

Oct 24, 2020 7:33 AM in response to Ropen

Hello, Ropen,

It seems like the problem is that the magsafe wireless charging is interfering with how much wattage is actually being transferred to the iPhone. I would switch to a normal cord for your iPhone which would charge it much faster:

To charge your new iPhone, you can continue to use your USB‑A to Lightning cable. Or you can take advantage of fast charging with the USB‑C to Lightning cable now included in the box, which works with existing USB‑C power adapters and computer ports.

This was information from the Apple website you can view it here:

https://www.apple.com/iphone-12/

Have a good day,

CJM

Nov 7, 2020 10:00 AM in response to dr.jvoss

Note whether you are meeting all the requirements for faster MagSafe charging:

Compatible power adapters for up to 15W faster wireless charging

USB-C connector. USB-A is not supported
9V/2.22A or 9V/2.56A and higher
iPhone 12 mini can get up to 12W for faster wireless charging with at least 9V/2.03A
Higher wattage adapters at or above 9V/2.56A will also deliver a maximum of up to 15W peak power to iPhone 12*

When Lightning accessories such as headphones are connected, charging is limited to 7.5W to comply with regulatory standards.

* The MagSafe Charger will also function with power adapters that provide a minimum 12W (5V/2.4A) of power, but this will result in slower charging.

How to use your MagSafe Charger with iPhone 12 models - Apple Support

Nov 7, 2020 11:06 AM in response to dr.jvoss

dr.jvoss wrote:

Also if I am on face time the app slows down then crashes after 25-30 minutes. The phone totally overheats

If you have updated to iOS 14.2 and see the same issue, you may want to think about returning your phone if you it's been less than 14 days since purchase for a refund as it may be unsuitable for you, for whatever reason.

If you're past the return window, contact Apple Support directly and they can help you take next steps towards an exchange or take other steps to help solve your issue.

Contact - Official Apple Support

Oct 24, 2020 12:57 AM in response to malecksa

I looked into other places with other 12 pro or iphone 12 owners and have been noticing the same thing, I think it’s the magsafe charger itself. I saw this video of a youtuber using the magsafe charger on older iPhones and androids and mentioned he was only getting 1-3 watts from the magsafe. I ended up paying for the app he was using and within 40 minutes of testing my magsafe setup with my battery below 80%, the app returned back results of 2.90 and 2.94 watts.

Apple’s website claims it can deliver *upto* 15watts, but a reasonable number at least would be 10-12 watts. The sad thing is that the other wireless charger i have outputs 7.5watts which is the same the mophie Qi charger apple sold in their stores outputs, but I’m barely getting back 3watts.

I’m a bit curious to see what will happen, i did manage to contact support but for the time being they just tried the normal troubleshooting steps and factory reset but same results. As a matter of fact, ever since i opened my iphone 12pro the phone hasn’t fully charged to 100% yet, I only used the wired lighting charging for a good 20 minutes to test something out but the rest of the day I have been using the magsafe.

I don’t think a firmware update will fix this, I think it’s a hardware factory defect of some sort.

https://youtu.be/lQ74v33k15o

I also used another app just to be sure and that app didn’t even return a reading, it told me it was 0.00 from the magsafe setup

Oct 28, 2020 10:50 AM in response to schja01

It baffles me how some youtube bloggers and other tech sites are getting 20w or 15w, when i tested my setup yesterday fresh from my genius bar appointment i got ranges from 11w to 9w but i don’t know how restrictive the entire setup can be.

I had battery optimization on, but seeing other review videos i saw how good their charge was all the way to 100%, still confused on why magsafe is not consistent

Oct 28, 2020 11:47 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

it’s just inconsistent.

When i wrote this article these were the results i was getting with my magsafe everything setup:

1-3w the 9w was a wired setup.

with the magsafe exchange i got yesterday i have seen some improvement, especially today this just happened right now

look at the changes

the apple rep and a few people here were suggesting the magnets in the magsafe were inducing watt output that wasn’t accurate but the rep pointed out it might take a couple of days for it to finally adjust, maybe it was my phone or some but at the end of the day, I’ll keep trying, i still have until november 10th to return it, so it doesn’t hurt to try it until then, if i don’t like i can return it for sure but I was frustrated it wasn’t working for the weekend since it was super slow

Nov 3, 2020 7:02 PM in response to AppleHelperNeeded

How’s the magsafe after the reset?

Despite the fact I got a replacement the issue still persists, not as slow as before but still nowhere near 15w unlike the first two times i used the app after I got the new one.

I did the “reset” settings like you suggested and seemed to work the first time, but the sub sequent times were back down to sub par fast charging. These are my speeds ever since I got the second magsafe unit. I don’t know what to think anymore, if it’s software related why hasn’t an update been pushed out already?

I’m giving it one last chance before my return date window is up. We will see.

May 13, 2021 5:45 PM in response to Ropen

I got same problem. In the first day, the magSafe only charged my iphone 12 Pro to 80%, which I did not know the reason. Until I put the phone under a fan and charged overnight, I noticed it was the heat problem. The battery was charged to 80% and stopped. Then the battery temperature was cool down after few hours. When the temperature was low enough, the charging activity was re-started again. This will shorten the battery life and I cannot always put my phone under a fan. Apply claimed that it was optimized...it is clearly to cover the heat problem. I recommend to return back the magSafe back to Apple as it will kill your battery.

Oct 23, 2020 7:37 PM in response to Ropen

Hello, Ropen,

Have you tried charging the phone without the case on? If it is super hot I would take it off of the charger as soon as you can (heat can damage the battery and internal circuitry)

Try contacting apple about this one, I don't know enough about the iPhone 12 to really help here. You can contact them by scrolling up on this page to the top right corner where it says "Contact Support".

Have a good day,

CJM

Oct 23, 2020 8:45 PM in response to EndrBoy17

Hi, i did ended up taking the case off, still same results, when i checked my battery graph i realized it actually discharged when it was restarting, but it hasn’t been fully charged to 100% ever since I got it at noon and have been using the MagSafe charge the highest percentage on the graph was 71 and that’s it. Apple support so far wants me to restart the phone and start over to see what it could be done but i have to follow up with them in regards to check if it’s working after the factory reset

Oct 24, 2020 6:39 AM in response to Ropen

Thanks for the reply. I contacted support and got the same response and troubleshooting. I’m debating returning MagSafe at this point, especially if it’s going to take me 2.5 hours to charge from 81% to 99%, which it did overnight on my end.

I’m curious to see if Apple will address this or any articles will be written regarding the issue.

iPhone 12 Pro charging slowly with Magsafe charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.