Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 pro not charging with MagSafe charger

The magnet works fine but nothing happens. No charge. Why won’t MagSafe charger work with brand new iPhone 12 Pro?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 8:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 6:09 PM

Remove any case from the device and then press and quickly release the volume up button, then do the same for the volume down button. Follow up by pressing the side button, and hold until the display suddenly shuts off about 10 seconds. Keep holding the side button and release when the device turns back onto its Apple boot screen.

then try to charge it again. Hope this helps

95 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2020 6:09 PM in response to papijam23

Remove any case from the device and then press and quickly release the volume up button, then do the same for the volume down button. Follow up by pressing the side button, and hold until the display suddenly shuts off about 10 seconds. Keep holding the side button and release when the device turns back onto its Apple boot screen.

then try to charge it again. Hope this helps

Nov 1, 2020 1:19 AM in response to faith185

Thanks for replying to this topic. I am having the same issue. When I plug the MagSafe connector into the 20W Apple charger, it does not charge the phone - the charge icon appears, but is not accompanied by the circle “connected” graphic. The charge icon disappears after about 5 or 10 seconds and the phone does not charge.

the phone charges as expected when plugging the USB-C to Lightning connector that came with the phone.

Oct 28, 2020 6:23 PM in response to papijam23

Hi papijam23,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having some issues charging your iPhone 12 Pro using the MagSafe charger. There are some great instructions here:

How to use your MagSafe Charger with iPhone 12 models

Is there another charger and power source to try? If so, does this only happen with the MagSafe charger? Try the applicable steps from If your iPhone or iPod touch won't charge, then test for the issue again.

Have a great day!

Dec 2, 2020 11:20 PM in response to papijam23

this is a follow up from my previous posts. Apple has a setting in “Settings-battery-battery health-optimized battery charging, this is used to reduced the aging of the battery life (which is a good thing!)which may be preventing the battery from fully charging depending on your usage preference and also the MacSafe Charger has a safety mechanism (as stated on the Apples website “how to use the MacSafe Charger”) which prevents the over heating of the battery during the use by charging at only 80% max capacity during certain times.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT211829

Dec 2, 2020 11:25 PM in response to papijam23

this is a follow up from my previous posts with pictures below Apple has a setting in “Settings-battery-battery health-optimized battery charging, this is used to reduced the aging of the battery life (which is a good thing!)which may be preventing the battery from fully charging depending on your usage preference and also the MacSafe Charger has a safety mechanism (as stated on the Apples website “how to use the MacSafe Charger”) which prevents the over heating of the battery during the use by charging at only 80% max capacity during certain times.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT211829

Nov 25, 2020 1:45 PM in response to papijam23

following up from my last post. In the Apple website it says:

• As with other wireless chargers, your iPhone or MagSafe Charger might get slightly warmer while your iPhone charges. To extend the lifespan of your battery, if the battery gets too warm, software might limit charging above 80 per cent. 

So what I did was a bit of the best ideas

• I’ve hard reset the iphone 12 Pro by pressing and releasing quickly -the “volume up”, than the same for “volume down” and then holding the right button until the Apple logo appears.
  • than I waited until my phone’s battery was below 80% before charging ( I charged mine at 69%) to try and avid triggering the overheating thing from the Apple software.

And once I did that it started to work!! The battery level was going up and seems to be working fine for now. :)

my gear involved was iPhone12 Pro and the new Apple MagSafe charger

Nov 25, 2020 5:38 PM in response to papijam23

Hello, just following up again from my previous posts. So after the initial success of

• the resetting of the iPhone12 Pro (please see above previous posts) and
  • charging the iPhone12 pro with the new Apple MagSafe charger wile the percentage of the battery was below 80%

the phone is now continuously charger all the way to 100% with no issues

• tried to charge again using the MagSafe thingy with the battery at 87% (above the 80%) threshold stated by Apple and it wouldn’t charge!
  • so waited until the phones battery was below 80% (this time 75%) before charging,
  • it worked, so far still charging without any further issues and seems to be reaching 100% soon again
  • note: see above previous post that I’ve posted to get a better understanding about the threshold that I was talking about

May 17, 2021 2:17 AM in response to papijam23

• MagSafe Charging Tips. Place charger faces up on a flat surface. ...
  • Update to Latest iOS. Many users have reported that updating has solved the problem for them. ...
  • Force Restart. ...
  • Check Your Charge Adapter. ...
  • Check the MagSafe Charger. ...
  • Check your iPhone's wireless charging ability. ...
  • Look at Battery Optimization Settings.

For more Visit our website.

Nov 6, 2020 8:43 PM in response to papijam23

I too have this problem. In my web search, I found that the newest iOS has a fix for some that won’t do wireless charging. I am updating now. Hope it solves the issue. My air pods pro charge just fine on the MagSafe. I have 2 MagSafe chargers. One also for my wife’s new 12 Pro when it arrives. Neither one would work with my 12 pro. Both will charge the air pods.

Nov 7, 2020 11:08 AM in response to papijam23

I had the same issue twice now. It seems like the phone will stop detecting the MagSafe charger after some circumstances. only why to fix it so far is to reboot the phone. Potentially a bug with iPhone 12 pros?

I thought it was a defective charger until I tried charging my iPhone 8 Plus and air pod pros case. Both devices were charging fine.

iPhone 12 pro not charging with MagSafe charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.